need a router

CaseyRyback

Staff member
Feedback
131 (100%)
I am moving back in with my parents and since they already have a PC I am going to stick mine in my room. The distance between the rooms is not all that great (mainly because the room with thier computer is almost directly above the room I am going to put mine in.

Would prefer a router with cords, but a good wireless would also be acceptable.

Also could someone tell me how hard it is to get one to work. I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers.

Is it for a Cable/DSL connection, cuz if so...I recommend Linksys router with 4 port switch. Its easy to set up and works wonders...hope that helps some

Bad Brand: D-Link

I can't vouch for the other D-Link products but the 614+ is a horrible horrible wireless router. Avoid it like the plague. I found out the hard way.

I'll second Linksys. Good reliable machines.

Microsoft is probably hands down best but their prices are much higher than the competition.

Just check your local BB, CC, and OD ads and see which one is cheap.

If you are going with wireless, just stick with 802.11b. It is much cheaper - around $30 after rebates.

Here's a switch that's free after rebate.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3881977

I'm not sure if that's all you need, or if you'd also need a router. Maybe someone with more networking knowledge could clue us in?

I have a D-Link 614+ wifi router and it has worked perfectly for over a year now. Maybe you were just unlucky or something.

Maybe I do have bad luck but the damn thing has given me nothing but problems. The newest firmware makes the machine even more tempermental. I'm not the only one with disconnect problems on a 614+ either. Maybe you got lucky and got a working one? ;)

A switch would be fine if he is willing to run wires. For a PC, I'd just run wires. For a laptop, go wireless.

Sorry to hijack your thread Casey, but I'm also in DIRE need of help..(should I start my own thread, it's so similar the subject, I'm hesistant to, but if the need arises, I will)!!! I'm getting broadband soon, and this is my first time ever networking or w/e. I'm also very PC illiterate...so can anyone provide detailed help through AIM or something? I'm trying to connect 2 laptops, 1 desktop and a PS2 to a DSL connection. What would be best for me? Thanks to anyone who responds!!! ^^

[quote name='spidey']Bad Brand: D-Link

I can't vouch for the other D-Link products but the 614+ is a horrible horrible wireless router. Avoid it like the plague. I found out the hard way.

Microsoft is probably hands down best but their prices are much higher than the competition.

If you are going with wireless, just stick with 802.11b. It is much cheaper - around $30 after rebates.[/quote]

I wouldn't say to avoid D-Link. They're older routers were pretty poor, but I just purchased a DI-514 and it works amazingly well.

A brand that I've known to be bad was Belkin.

Oh, I thought you were trying to sell it by the name. I guess there was no ?, huh.

thanks for all the help. I do not want to get screwed by buying a bad router

anyone know where I could maybe find one for a decent price?

get a d-link...ive had a *few* problems...mostly human error and the call help line is the best of which I have ever spoken to...I have DI-774...pricey but worth it...You can get it for around 150...but a regular g router runs around 70 or 80...maybe you can find a better deal, but I HIGHLEY recomend D-Link

I would go either with a d-link or a linksys. But if your gonna also have to buy ethernet cards, or wi-fi cards i would stick with the same brand for both, Just a suggestion. Might help solve any problems before they start.
--Shadd

I would recommend Linksys as well. I just switched over to a Wireless - G from the conventional linksys and both are just plug in and you're pretty much hooked up. The wireless works great with the xbox wireless adapter too. Sucks moving and rearranging your stuff. I guess aesthitically speaking I was lucky I couldn't find a 50 foot ethernet cable....

[quote name='spidey']Bad Brand: D-Link

If you are going with wireless, just stick with 802.11b. It is much cheaper - around $30 after rebates.[/quote]

HAHA the di-614+ rules. The firmware setup is great for port forwarding and stuff and it never goes down under high load.

I had an smc and it sucked some people on xbox live couldn't here me and i couldn't have more than 1 xbox on live simultaniously. Nowon the d-link i can hook up 4 to one connection and it works great.

There are alot more horror stories about the newer model linksys g router s so i avoided them plus its not listed as an xbox live compatible router.

I would say go for a d-614 they are in the frys ad every now and then and they were in the compusa ad 2 weeks ago for 49.99 after rebates i believe.

The dude who wants to hook all that stuff to dsl its pretty much plug and play. Just connect all your stuff in to the back of the router and plug the router into your modem and in most cases there should be no additional setup. You will want to change your admin password and setup wireless encryption if you use wireless but other than that its plug and play.

Linksys. IMO they are the all around best. Wireless ones also have the 4 port switch built in, so that is almost like planning for the future........

[quote name='BULL_Ship'][quote name='spidey']Bad Brand: D-Link

HAHA the di-614+ rules. The firmware setup is great for port forwarding and stuff and it never goes down under high load.

I had an smc and it sucked some people on xbox live couldn't here me and i couldn't have more than 1 xbox on live simultaniously. Nowon the d-link i can hook up 4 to one connection and it works great.

There are alot more horror stories about the newer model linksys g router s so i avoided them plus its not listed as an xbox live compatible router.

I would say go for a d-614 they are in the frys ad every now and then and they were in the compusa ad 2 weeks ago for 49.99 after rebates i believe.

The dude who wants to hook all that stuff to dsl its pretty much plug and play. Just connect all your stuff in to the back of the router and plug the router into your modem and in most cases there should be no additional setup. You will want to change your admin password and setup wireless encryption if you use wireless but other than that its plug and play.[/quote]

I have the wireless G model WRT54G. It works fine with xbox live. I dont know if its a newer or older version though...as soon as i set up my wireless router i just plugged in the wireless adapter to the xbox and it recognized it straight away. oh well...different strokes for different folks.

I have a spare D link if you want buy it off from me. I bought it brand new but havent used it yet sealed and everything. D1 614 wireless router BRAND NEW!. Pm me with offer. good luck.

Hey Casey, keep in mind that wireless is a bad way to go for vertical connections, because I was in your situation. If you want a wireless connnection, then it has to all be parallel on the horizontal. Even then don't get a usb adapter no matter how cheap they may be. They suck! I know because I tried. If you want a vertical scheme, just get a good four port router and lots of ethernet cable. Other than that, rock on!

bread's done
Back