Need a workout MP3 player.

Kayden

Banned
I found an ipod shuffle in a snow bank and started using it at the gym. I got fairly attached to having it, so I'd just leave it in my sweat shirt. Well, one day I washed my sweat shirt with the shuffle inside. :cold: I didn't notice until it fell out of the dryer... after 2 cycles. :hot:

It worked for like a day longer and then died totally. I tried getting a $10 knock off on ebay, but that thing worked for about 5 minutes total. :wall:

Moderately long story, shorter, I need an MP3 player for the gym.

It NEEDS:
Small
Shuffle playback
Clip on

Nice to have:
drag and drop loading
More than 1GB
Not Apple

It's a shame you don't want another shuffle. They are like 2gb and cheap these days!
I don't have any other suggestions :(

I have to second the Sansa Clip. There are not too many MP3 players with clips that I know of, but even if there were, I bet the Clip would be the best one. It is noticeably larger than the Shuffle, but it has better sound quality, drag and drop, and it has a screen so you can even choose what music you want to listen to! There are 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb versions, and I think now there is an 8gb version. If you can't tell, I really like mine. Check the review at anythingbutipod.com (though I have to admit there is a little bit of a cult around the Clip there):
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/10/sandisk-sansa-clip-review.php

Also, in favor of the Clip: you could try checking woot.com or sellout.woot.com. They seem to be selling the Clip every two weeks or so, though it seems they haven't been having sales as often.

I thought the hardware was ok, I just don't like the itunes bullshit and having to use third party hacks to simply drag and drop music. I also don't want to pay the 100% markup just because it says Apple on it.

[quote name='lilboo']It's a shame you don't want another shuffle. They are like 2gb and cheap these days!
I don't have any other suggestions :([/quote]

Love my Iaudio U3. Had it for 4 years now, but it looks like sansa is putting them out of business. I'll probably go sansa next because they have all the features of the iAudio's but with the expandable MicroSD slots. Plus the new sansas have a more solid feel than the ones of a few years ago. the U3 doesn't have a clip, but you can by cases so they can be used with an armband, thats what I currently do and it was only 10 bucks from cowonamerica.com. Good luck on your search!

I use the Zen Stone 2gb, pretty much an ipod shuffle just cheaper. Got it in wal mart for $30

Came with a silicone cover and belt clip but I bought an armband for it from ebay for like 3 bucks.

I have had it for a while and it works just fine

I use my cell phone for music at the gym.
It's Sony Ericsson Walkman phone. Plays mp3's (even shuffled) and has a fm radio.
The M2 Mirco card it uses I think can go up to 8gb. Maybe more.
This way you only need to carry one devise and when someone calls it just pauses your music, hit a button on the earbuds and talk. Then the music picks right up where it was.

I don't know if they're still available, but my old mobiBlu Cube is awesome. It's super tiny (something like 1"x1"x1"), has a built-in FM tuner and voice recording capabilities. Unfortunately, the headphones are rather crap, but they're required for the FM Tuner (the headphones act as the antennae) and are built into the neckstrap. I do believe they're still the world's smallest MP3 player with an LCD screen.

Here's the latest model:
http://mobiblu.com/product/cube_3_e.html

Sucks for your Shuffle. The Shuffle is what I actually replaced my MobiBlu with.

Cheers.

:lol: I actually have one of those. I bought it when they first came out. My GF is using it when she goes to the gym.
[quote name='Treehouse Gamer']I don't know if they're still available, but my old mobiBlu Cube is awesome. It's super tiny (something like 1"x1"x1"), has a built-in FM tuner and voice recording capabilities. Unfortunately, the headphones are rather crap, but they're required for the FM Tuner (the headphones act as the antennae) and are built into the neckstrap. I do believe they're still the world's smallest MP3 player with an LCD screen.

Here's the latest model:
http://mobiblu.com/product/cube_3_e.html

Sucks for your Shuffle. The Shuffle is what I actually replaced my MobiBlu with.

Cheers.[/quote]

Walmart has the 8GB Sansa Clip (black for $49) on clearance. I picked one up two days ago. Do a search for "sansa clip" at SD and it will be the first link in the results.

3 things I looked for when looking for an mp3 player...sound quality, mini usb connection (hate proprietary connectors) and drag and drop (hate proprietary software). The Sansa Clip fits all three and very well I might add. Plus it has a small screen and you can delete files right from the clip which I find handy as I realize some of the song I put on my clip i don't care for anymore.

A second choice would be the Creative Zen.

Hmmm now if only there's a Walmart with them near me.
[quote name='tthome']Walmart has the 8GB Sansa Clip (black for $49) on clearance. I picked one up two days ago. Do a search for "sansa clip" at SD and it will be the first link in the results.

3 things I looked for when looking for an mp3 player...sound quality, mini usb connection (hate proprietary connectors) and drag and drop (hate proprietary software). The Sansa Clip fits all three and very well I might add. Plus it has a small screen and you can delete files right from the clip which I find handy as I realize some of the song I put on my clip i don't care for anymore.

A second choice would be the Creative Zen.[/quote]

[quote name='tthome']Walmart has the 8GB Sansa Clip (black for $49) on clearance. I picked one up two days ago. Do a search for "sansa clip" at SD and it will be the first link in the results.

A second choice would be the Creative Zen.[/QUOTE]

NOT YMMV?

Good call on the Sansa Clip - it's the perfect MP3 player for the gym. I got a 4 GB Clip when they were on sale for $30 around Christmas and love it. You can sync it with Windows media player with one click and then just drag your MP3s, WMA's, or whatever right onto it - it's great. The radio tuner comes in handy at the gym as well if you have TV's there that broadcast audio over FM frequencies.

First reaction is not good. :lol:

My computer could see a device attached, but I couldn't actually access it. Apparently, there are two usb modes you can set on the player. The default setting is to automatically detect the right setting... and it doesn't work. You have to manually set the player to MCP or else you can't access it.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Make sure to post your reactions Kayden. I may have to go looking for one of these myself.[/quote]

bread's done
Back