Need Advice - Deciding on a new Phone on Verizon

WormFOODx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Ok, so this thread may end up turning into some sort of a battle between Apple fans and Droid fans, but I am in the market to get a new phone. I want to stick with Verizon as I get a corporate discount from my work. I am totally on the fence as to which one to get and I need help deciding this time. I'm not an Apple drone (I do use iTunes for my music since I have a 160gig iPod classic) but I'm not against buying something from them either.

So with that said, here are my questions:

1. Why should I pick an iPhone over a Droid?
2. Why should I pick a Droid over an iPhone?
3. Is one better with games than the other?
4. If you were to pick a Droid on Verizon, would you get one currently available or wait for one that was announced at CES?
5. If you were to pick an iPhone, would it be wiser to wait for an iPhone 5 supposedly coming out later this year?

Help!

Oh, and another note is how is web surfing between the iPhone and the Droid based phones? I want to be able to come to CAG while on the road.

I have a droid phone and I will never change to anything else. I had a blackberry and have played around with the iphone before.
1. Droid lets you put non-marketplace apps on your phone with ease.
2. Easy root access
3. The interface is very customizable

The Thunderbolt (phone) comes to Verizon on Feb. 24th this phone is going to be amazing.
1. 8mp camera on back of phone, 1.3mp camera on front for video chat
2. Has the newer 1ghz Snapdragon processor (very smooth and fast)
3. 4.3 Screen
4. 768mb of RAM and 32 GB preinstalled micro sd card
5. FM radio
6. Android has adobe flash for web browsing Iphone does not.
6. And the biggest thing it is Verizon's first 4G phone.

Supposedly price will be 249.99 with 2-year contract. I would say this will be the best phone on Verizon by far until the end of summer or beginning of Fall

Personally, I'd hold off on 4G phones (the Thunderbolt looks impressive, but it's generally a bad idea to buy the 1st of anything, plus they'll be capping their 4G dataplans and I'd like to see how that works out for others before deciding to take the leap).

The iPhone is on track to get updated over the summer. If you've waited this long, it may be worthwhile to see what they offer up with the next generation/iteration.

So, for a phone today, I'm looking at either a Motorola Droid X or Samsung Fascinate.

I need to type a lot and, one of the biggest selling points for Android phones (for me) is the Swype text input. Within a few minutes, I was almost as fast as I was on my Blackberry physical keyboard.

Root is a short of so to say jailbreaking allowing you to overclock and mess with hardware specs.
I mean if your going to wait then wait but I would not say wait on 4g if you are going to do a 2 year contract Thunderbolt is the way to go I mean odds are you wont have 4g depending where you live but it is supposedly to be out nationwide in 2013. HTC which is who makes the phone makes great products and I think you could kind of future proof yourself if you need a phone now and looking into 2 year contracts

PS AT&T just released there 4G price plan and they are letting unlimited data plans grandfather into the 4G era, so Verizon will follow in their footsteps

In my opinion, Android device, hands down. The versatility is worth it. I actually preferred the iPhone 4 from a hardware aspect over the Droid X (those were what I was debating at the time, I didn't mind switching carriers), but when it came down to it, I wanted something that was running Android. Like others have said, rooting is a simple way to gain even more freedom in what you can do with your phone. Once rooted, your phone can give you free wifi-tethering for your laptop and access other nifty applications that require root access (basically administrative level access, if you're familiar with Windows).

As far as waiting for the new 4G droid phones, have you looked at the 4G coverage maps? That would be a deciding factor for me. If your city doesn't get 4G coverage, then I wouldn't bother waiting unless you just really prefer one of the upcoming phones.

Verizon 4G Launch Coverage:
verizon4gltemarkets.jpg

O Indicates a city with 4G coverage

Huntsville, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama
Montgomery, Alabama
Little Rock, Arkansas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Gainesville, Florida
Lakeland-Winter Haven, Florida
Pensacola, Florida
Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida