Need advice from golfers

GrimNecroWizard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just went golfing for the first time the other day and thought it was awesome except for the heat and many balls I lost. So I kinda wanna start playing and could use some clubs. Could anyone recommend me a good, but cheap club set preferably with a bag? By the way I'm left handed and I've tried right handed and much to my dismay, I just can't do it. So I need left handed clubs. Thanks for any advice and help

I am a novice golfer and I just went to Dick's and bought the cheapest set they had - it was like $200 for the bag and all the irons, drivers and putter. It's obviously not the greatest set but it works good enough for the 3 or 4 times a year I find the time to get out there. If I ever get more serious I'd consider an upgrade but they are fine for now.

Just get a cheap set, and maybe a nice driver and a putter you really like. On most courses I could do fine with a putter, 7 iron, and 1 wood. and by doing fine i mean horrible, but that is about normal.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']I just went golfing for the first time the other day and thought it was awesome except for the heat and many balls I lost. [/QUOTE]

It's like sex, except I'm having it!

Seriously, just get a cheap set and work up. There's going to be little difference between them. You could always try garage sales if that sort of thing doesn't bother you. There's bound to be a golfer out there who has a set of shiny new clubs he just can't wait to use, and might part with a set really cheap (and they probably held onto them for a looooooooong time).

The "set in a box" is solid way to go though you maye trouble finding a lefty set. I'm guessing Dick's and the like would be your best shot for that.

Check ebay too cuz left handed clubs/sets usually go for a lot less than right due to lack of demand.

Thanks for the advice, I've got another question...How long should the driver and everything else be compared to your height? I think the driver is the longest and everything else pretty much goes down from there, but I could be mistaken. By the way, I'm 5'9"

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Thanks for the advice, I've got another question...How long should the driver and everything else be compared to your height? I think the driver is the longest and everything else pretty much goes down from there, but I could be mistaken. By the way, I'm 5'9"[/QUOTE]

Club length would actually take your arm length and height into account. At 5'9" standard mens clubs will probably be fine unless you have some super short arms or something. Mens drivers a usually 45" now.

Check Sports Authority, I too am left handed and 5'9" and I bought a complete set + bag for ~$129. I think they are a Sports Authority brand, but they are plenty good for as crappy as I am and as rarely as I go. The stock lengths are just fine for me too.

Clubs are cheaper than I thought. I always imagined they'd be expensive but the only golfing I've ever done whacking a bucket of balls at the driving range. My dad always wanted to take up golf, looks like I can get him a set for Fathers Day or his birthday.

bread's done
Back