Need advice on potentially taking controller apart...

Mastastic

CAGiversary!
So I hop online tonight and see a friend in party chat...I connect, break out my headphones, and join the convo...I notice that my mic isn't working. I pull out the microphone jack and I notice the tip is missing. It is of course stuck in my brand new fucking controller.

So, first of all, does anyone know of a service to do open this controller for me?

Second, how difficult is it for one to pop this sucker open? I've read up on special torque screwdriver tips, etc...also that I can jimmy the security pin out with a flathead, but I don't like the sound of that.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

if your controller is brand new enough to return to the place you bought it at, you might be able to exchange it. For all we know, the controller is the reason why the tip of the mic jack broke off and a replacement is in order. Of course you don't explain that to the CSR, just that the ports aren't working properly and you'd like to exchange it for one that isn't faulty.

You'll need a Torque-8 "security" controller - take the controller with you to the hardware store to make sure you've got the right one. Otherwise, it's easy. My dog chewed up a thumb stick, but it was surprisingly simple to replace once I had the right screwdriver. There are guides on youtube or wikihow to assist.

Yup, Torque-8 security bit will do the trick. I actually took mine apart and put PS3 thumb sticks on it. I have to say it is amazing now. But it's not really that hard, just make sure you get the screw that's underneath one the serial code or some kinda code where the battery pack goes in. But it's a piece of cake, If I can take it apart and put it back together you sure as heck can as well! :D

Finding the damn screwdriver is the hardest part, I still need to find one since apparently my Lowes and Home Depot didn't have the right size in anything apart from some ridiculous overpriced set of 50. Once you do open it up, make sure you have a tray or something to keep everything on so you don't lose anything.

Actually, getting the tip of the headphone connector out of the socket may be the hardest part. If the other end of the socket isn't exposed for you to shove a tiny screwdriver in from the back and push the tip out, opening the controller isn't going to do jack unless you plan on replacing the entire socket.

You don't have to take it apart, if it's wireless. All you have to do is pop the battery pack off of the back and you have immediate access to the headset jack. All you need is something small and hooked (stiff wire or something) and stick it down into the center opening and the tip should pop right out.

If it's wired, you're hosed.

You can use a small screwdriver to break the center security studs off and then use a standard torx.

Okay, first of all thanks for the all of the replies. They have bolstered my confidence in opening up this controller.

Secondly, the tip at some point last night came out of the plug-in hole and is now rattling around inside my controller. In order to get it out now I must open it. I'm the type of person that finds that type of noise super annoying when playing a game.

I found a specially designed screwdriver designed for the 360 controllers off of Amazon and bought it from the Amazon sponsored company, which also made it eligible for Prime. Should be here on Tuesday at the latest. I'm pretty excited, as I have another wireless controller that has sticky buttons from a soft drink spill and I'm looking forward to cleaning that bad boy up.

Again, thanks for the advice!

If you cant wait or someone else cares.........you can actually get the screwdriver (bit) from Walmart. They don't carry torx sets but in the drill bit section they have a multi-tip kit for a cordless screwdriver that has like 20-25ish heads for less than $4. It's a Black & Decker brand set I think but it contains several size torx plus regular heads.

Quick tip: put scotch tape over your face buttons and back start home buttons so they don't fall out. It makes things easier and faster. Also there is a hidden screw under the serial number sticker inside the battery compartment.

I have since got a nice torx set off Ebay for less than $4 shipped. Don't worry it's REALLY hard to screw anything up unless you loose a button or start soddering.

bread's done
Back