Need advice on purchasing a Sega Saturn

dejeckt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Sega Satu[SIZE=-1]rn had always been an elusive system fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r me. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Luckily, a f[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]riend owned one[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] which at that time looked like a bette[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r system than my snes (g[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rass is g[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]reene[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r on the othe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r side pe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rhaps [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and p[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]robably due to all the fighting games he had). Any who afte[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r couple of yea[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rs of thinking about it (14+ yea[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rs give o[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r take) I finally decided on pu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rchasing[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] a Sega Satu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rn :D

-What do you think of this ebay listing fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r a satu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rn + a couple of games
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-SATURN-sys...d=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item519201b395
I don't suspect the p[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rice getting any highe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r than $32 (o[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r am I w[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rong).[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Is a satu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rn p[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]riced at $33.00-$44.00 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]reasonable (i've added $12 fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r shipping)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]?

-You guys think its wo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rth going to a swapmeet? All I eve[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r see the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re is a bunch of nes and no gua[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rantee if the system is even wo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rking o[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r not.

-Will a gene[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ric 8mb [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ram ca[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rd be able to play those Satu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rn games that [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]requi[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re 1/4mb [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ram ca[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rds?

-Any othe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r advice?

Thanks
[/SIZE]

I'd say as long as you don't go over 50 then it's fine.

And that thing you're talking about should let you play 1 and 4 mb games. Don't remember if there was a switch on it though for switching between that stuff. I've always only used the STD Key and 4 MB Capcom ram cart.

Anything good on the saturn will cost you money. It may shock you, but this is normal. Get used to it.

just hope for a working cart slot.... and if possible, get it modded so you won't have to cart swap to play games that require ram carts...

my poor cartridge slots on 4 saturns are not as good as they used to be :(

The cartridge slots on saturns are a pain in the butt. A lot of the good games are imports and thus hard to track down and expensive. You could always mod to allow booting from cds if you wanted to try and copy games. Kinda sucks to go that route, but beats paying 50 bucks for a game you might only play once or twice.

You may pick one up and think something is wrong, but it could just be the battery - my guess is that whatever used one you pick up will likely need a new battery, which is easy to replace.

That eBay one seemed very dirty, so I think you could find a better looking one.

You may pick one up and think something is wrong, but it could just be the battery - my guess is that whatever used one you pick up will likely need a new battery, which is easy to replace.

That eBay one seemed very dirty, so I think you could find a better looking one.

Pretty good deal if everything works. The sega saturn got to be one of the most under-rated systems ever created. Has the best rpg and shootem ups games.

Regarding the cartridge slots - The issue is that 3rd party carts (Gameshark, Pro Action Replay, 4 in 1) have thicker circuit boards compared to the official carts. The end result is that the connectors inside the cartridge slot get stretched out and stop reading carts properly.

Apart from some very common arcade ports, the best US Saturn games are fairly expensive. The Japanese library is oftentimes more affordable but there are some crazy prices there too.

I have several US and Japanese Saturns and avoid using 3rd party carts entirely. Getting a switch installed is another great option but I don't know where to get them modded anymore. My old modded one was done in 1997.

If I was just starting off with the Saturn, I'd probably just track down a good Japanese system and ignore the US titles. The only decent US RPGs are staggeringly expensive and all the shooters and fighting games (which don't need English) are cheaper from Japan.

Getting a Saturn is not that expensive. Getting games for it.... another story.

I agree with Halo05 in that you might want to look into getting a Japanese Saturn. The Saturn is the only system that I own more import games for than US games.

Most of the games I would like to play on saturn aren't script heavy (besides panzer dragoon saga...).
I decided to pass on that ebay deal, now I'm digging through thrift stores.
recently I picked up a broken Dreamcast for 8 bucks and gutted the parts to fix my Dreamcast. Forgot how fun powerstone is...they really need to port that (besides the psp).

I spent 60 on mine but it came with 3 controllers 1 of which was the nights controller. It came with nights, virtua fighter 2, bug, virtua cop 2, and like 8 shit games. Panzer dragoon was supposed to be in there but they just gave me a demo of the game so i was pretty pissed. The only thing that made it right was nights and the nights controller. Since then I've only bought 3 saturn games;panzer dragoon 2, guardian heroes, and shinobi. Just don't let them sell you a demo instead of an actual game.
I put a battery in 2 years ago and when i went back to play the other day all my nights perfect rankings and scores were gone.

I wonder why Sega wouldn't reboot/continue Panzer series (besides orta). Give to same developers for Valkyria Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia and I bet they could make an instant classic (although it probably won't sell well sadly).
I'm still hoping for that awesome Saturn deal, gonna hit up more thrift stores (also is a mint condition Sonic the Hedgehog a good deal for $2.00?).

[quote name='dejeckt']Most of the games I would like to play on saturn aren't script heavy (besides panzer dragoon saga...).
I decided to pass on that ebay deal, now I'm digging through thrift stores.
recently I picked up a broken Dreamcast for 8 bucks and gutted the parts to fix my Dreamcast. Forgot how fun powerstone is...they really need to port that (besides the psp).[/QUOTE]

Wow! That's so cool!

Something to bear in mind when buying games.

A lot of Sega's CD games have "CD rot" which is where air bubbles got caught under the sealing during the manufacture process. Take the disc out and hold it label up toward a bright light source. If you see holes, the game has data missing.

Also watch out for "bronzing" which is a discoloration. It might look like a coffee stain.

[quote name='Mr. 420']I spent 60 on mine but it came with 3 controllers 1 of which was the nights controller. It came with nights, virtua fighter 2, bug, virtua cop 2, and like 8 shit games. Panzer dragoon was supposed to be in there but they just gave me a demo of the game so i was pretty pissed. The only thing that made it right was nights and the nights controller. Since then I've only bought 3 saturn games;panzer dragoon 2, guardian heroes, and shinobi. Just don't let them sell you a demo instead of an actual game.
I put a battery in 2 years ago and when i went back to play the other day all my nights perfect rankings and scores were gone.[/QUOTE]

The batteries are horrendous! Every few years I dig out my saturn to play something and all my saves are gone. It's such a pain in the butt. I think there are carts that you can use to save games.

[quote name='dejeckt']I wonder why Sega wouldn't reboot/continue Panzer series (besides orta). Give to same developers for Valkyria Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia and I bet they could make an instant classic (although it probably won't sell well sadly).
I'm still hoping for that awesome Saturn deal, gonna hit up more thrift stores (also is a mint condition Sonic the Hedgehog a good deal for $2.00?).[/QUOTE]

Which Sonic game? Sonic Jam is pretty much the best compilation of Sonic 1-3 + Knuckles that has ever been released. Sonic R is a pretty woeful racing game starring Sonic characters. Sonic 3d Blast (or whatever it's called), it a pretty woeful 3/4 perspective platformer. All that aside, I'd still pay $2 for any of them if I didn't already have them.

Regarding CD rot, my Saturn games have escaped without any problems so far. I don't remember anyone else ever complaining about it either. It might happen eventually but for all I know, CD manufacturing techniques may have been good enough by the mid 90s to avoid the problem.

Halo05 - I think it was the original Sonic the Hedgehog (sorry I don't know heads from tales for Sega games pre Sega Saturn...Sega is confusing...).

Went out looking for Saturn at yard sales...came up with nothing. Pretty sure Saturns are hard to find. Some people try to sell some unusual stuff (ie. saw one house with bunch of crutches, and one was a giant white chair with a hole and a bucket beneath it...). Little kids will try to rob you with their games (which is understandable, I hated doing yardsales when I was a kid). People who wants to look should get out their car instead of blocking traffic.

I guess I need to start checking discs; hopefully I might find some luck tomorrow.

I've found a couple Saturns at yard sales but none of them have been in great shape. They've all worked pretty much flawlessly. Compared to early PSXs, Saturns are pretty durable. My first one survived from 1997 through 2005 and only died when I accidently fried it thanks to some... well, it's hard to talk about, but it was my fault; barring my stupidity, I'm sure it would still be with us. *sniff*

Rooster - There are save carts for the Saturn, they go in the cartridge slot in the back of the system. The Japanese ones are cheaper and easier to find. I've had the same one since ~1999 and it hasn't lost anything.

Is $325 for a Saturn Net Link bundle (comes with the keyboard and all that) decent? I miss the old days when you could find a Saturn for like $80.

I played some Saturn games this weekend at a gathering, and I have to say the Saturn hasn't aged very well.

Games I thought were the cat's pajamas 10 years ago don't hold up for me today, especially the 3d games.

About the only games worthwhile are some of the capcom beat em ups, the RPGs, a couple shooters, and Necronomicon and Last Gladiators pinball.

[quote name='lmz00']Is $325 for a Saturn Net Link bundle (comes with the keyboard and all that) decent? I miss the old days when you could find a Saturn for like $80.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late response.

That seems ridiculously high given the difficulty of finding someone else to use the Netlink modem with. I does still work (it just direct dials a number, no servers) but yeah, I don't think the novelty of owning one is worth that price.

Mint Japanese Saturns are still all over ebay. If I was Saturnless, I'd probably get one there.

I have a Saturn bundle I'm going to sell but I want someone that really wants it to buy it.
I have a Netlink Saturn Panzer Saga , Burning Rangers , big joystick , multi adapter [for Bomberman], 4in1 Action Replay, Sega memory cart, Dragon Force w/ decal, X-men vs St. Fighter, Ghouls and Ghost collection imports ,and much more.

I very much want a Saturn, to point that I set up an Amazon wish list with the games/accessories I want... trick is, I have nowhere to set one up. I've hit capacity with my current gaming setup (10 systems hooked up, assuming you count the Genesis/Sega CD as 2 systems.)

It's definitely going to be one of the first things I hunt down as soon as I have space for it... in the meantime, me and my retro-gaming friend will continue our annual tradition of visiting the Saturn at the local anime con for a session of Nights. ;) (I actually took a tape measure with me with this year and measured the system, just to be sure I couldn't squeeze it in somewhere.)

[quote name='Richlough']I have a Saturn bundle I'm going to sell but I want someone that really wants it to buy it.
I have a Netlink Saturn Panzer Saga , Burning Rangers , big joystick , multi adapter [for Bomberman], 4in1 Action Replay, Sega memory cart, Dragon Force w/ decal, X-men vs St. Fighter, Ghouls and Ghost collection imports ,and much more.[/QUOTE]

I would sooooo buy that from you if I had the money.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I very much want a Saturn, to point that I set up an Amazon wish list with the games/accessories I want... trick is, I have nowhere to set one up. I've hit capacity with my current gaming setup (10 systems hooked up, assuming you count the Genesis/Sega CD as 2 systems.)[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I've got no room in my TV stand for anymore systems, and I've only got seven systems hooked up. I have to use two AV switch boxes to hook them up to my old SDTV. I figure, once I get a nice HDTV, I'll hook the 360, PS3, and Wii to that, and keep the SDTV for my old systems. But for now, I have to leave my N64, Genesis and 2600 in storage.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I would sooooo buy that from you if I had the money.

I know how you feel. I've got no room in my TV stand for anymore systems, and I've only got seven systems hooked up. I have to use two AV switch boxes to hook them up to my old SDTV. I figure, once I get a nice HDTV, I'll hook the 360, PS3, and Wii to that, and keep the SDTV for my old systems. But for now, I have to leave my N64, Genesis and 2600 in storage.[/QUOTE]

Save your money, let's deal .
My 360 red ringed again . I may change my mind.
Are you still at Kroger ?

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I know how you feel. I've got no room in my TV stand for anymore systems, and I've only got seven systems hooked up. I have to use two AV switch boxes to hook them up to my old SDTV. I figure, once I get a nice HDTV, I'll hook the 360, PS3, and Wii to that, and keep the SDTV for my old systems. But for now, I have to leave my N64, Genesis and 2600 in storage.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much my exact plan... me and my fiance find a house, I get a nice HDTV for the living room and move the newer systems there, keep my SDTV and retro stuff in my bedroom. That'd be a good time to pull the ol' broken Atari out of the closet and see if repair is possible, too.

[quote name='Richlough']Save your money, let's deal .
My 360 red ringed again . I may change my mind.
Are you still at Kroger ?[/QUOTE]

Trust me, with school coming back up and everything, I couldn't afford it. I'd love to, but I'm gonna be broke until at least the end of the year :(

On a side note, yes, I'm still at Kroger. But I'm on vacation all week!

[quote name='dejeckt']I wonder why Sega wouldn't reboot/continue Panzer series (besides orta). [/QUOTE]

I agree. Such a great and unique franchise.

bread's done
Back