Need Advice on RROD

beetlegum

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

Last night, I finally found some time to do some gaming. I turned on my Xbox and got the dreaded RROD. I still have the non-slim old version of Xbox. I've had it since 2009. I looked at my power brick and noticed the light was set to red. Whew, that could mean it's just a power issue.

I turned off the power and back on, and to my despair, still the RROD and the power brick light turned red. I tried different outlets, same thing, but finally it started working again. This isn't the first time I've had issues. For the past few months, my Xbox would shut off completely in the middle of gaming, and the power brick light would be red. A simple power off and on would fix the problem.

What do you guys suggest I do? Does it sound like a bad power brick? I'm afraid retailers no longer carry the big power brick.

And the timing is just awful. I have the $$$ to go buy a new 360, but I'm not seeing any deals out there, and looks like stores are selling the non-Kinect version for $299. That's just ridiculously high for a nearly 10 year old console. I also signed up with Gamefly, and I'm on the final boss on Syndicate. I don't wanna fucking lose all my progress, much less lose all my saves in Mass Effect.. Is there a way to transfer your HD to the new 360 without having to pay more for a damn transfer cable?

What would you guys do in my situation?

consider a lot of ppl on CL sell RROD xbox's, but it's very possible while the console is defunct the power brick is not. Best to make sure your console matches the corresponding power brick as the newer chip sets use less watts and using an older one might burn out your console faster or just burn it out period.

I'd suggest praying when you trade in your xbox that it doesn't RROD so the store (GS or BB usually) will take it and get a new slim. There's always a promo going on somewhere. As for transfer cable? Some GS's will do the data transfer for free if you're buying something, esp a new console from them. YMMV though. The other way is use a USB stick and do the data transfer manually just make sure you format the USB stick correct to meet xbox's calibration.

and finally, gl with that man. RROD is a @#$%.

The hard drive isn't much of a trade-in value when trading it into GS, so don't worry about it. You can always trade that in separately.

You can also remove the HDD from its casing and install it into a Slim, and there are third party enclosures for bare HDDs that fit into the Slim's HDD bay.

bread's done
Back