Need Advice on something I learned at work the other day.

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
The other day I received a sealed letter envelope in my mail box (actual mail box, not email) at work. When I opened it I found this attached (later I scanned it in)
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/ITDEFX101/notforschool.jpg

I work in an elementary school so I deal with young children every day. When I saw the images and the comments made, I was extremely disturbed by this. I had been assigned to work with this particular teacher for months now and I have noticed a few things about her behavior with students that would be considered unprofessional, but no way to prove it...until now.

We have a lot of parents who come in everyday, some of which to help out in the building. I know one parent who helps that teacher out from time to time since her daughter is in her classroom.

With all the things on the news about teachers having sex with students, would this (the scanned email) be considered child endangerment? and how can I report it without being fired in retaliation (as it seems that happens all the time in my school).

Update 4/32/07: Uploaded newer print out from my boss' account verifying that this thing is real
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/ITDEFX101/notforschool2.jpg

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Who sent it to you? And wouldn't they have sent it to others?[/QUOTE]

Not too quick on the draw this morning, are you? ;)

A teacher he works with, Megan (judging by the email), sent it to him. I assume it only went to him because the OP works with her.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The other day I received a sealed letter envelope in my mail box at work. When I opened it I found this attached (later I scanned it in)[/QUOTE] Sounds like someone else got the email, printed it out, and sent it to him.

[quote name='Roufuss']Not too quick on the draw this morning, are you? ;)

A teacher he works with, Megan (judging by the email), sent it to him. I assume it only went to him because the OP works with her.[/QUOTE]

it was in my physical mail box at work , not email .. Original post fixed. It appears to have been sent anonymously to me.

[quote name='ITDEFX']it was in my physical mail box at work , not email .. Original post fixed. It appears to have been sent anonymously to me.[/QUOTE]

OMG... now it is a real mystery!

I would.....re...port........it??????

I dont know what to tell you.....I would report it though just send a letter to the higher ups about her but dont sign your name.

So this teacher emailed someone that message and somehow it found it's way to you? Sounds like maybe you aren't the only one concerned about this teacher. It could also be a very innocent joke between two adults but someone misconstrued it.

[quote name='Roufuss']OMG... now it is a real mystery![/QUOTE]

I think I know who sent it to me.. her email was on the TO: part. I just blocked off names for the upload.

So you guys say report it, but to who? The principal doesn't care cause she didn't report the child abuse from my previous supervisor last year.

[quote name='ITDEFX']

So you guys say report it, but to who? The principal doesn't care cause she didn't report the child abuse from my previous supervisor last year.[/QUOTE]
Teh police. Or the administration. Go above the principal.

[quote name='dcfox']So this teacher emailed someone that message and somehow it found it's way to you? Sounds like maybe you aren't the only one concerned about this teacher. It could also be a very innocent joke between two adults but someone misconstrued it.[/QUOTE]

you know I thought the same thing, and I would just brush it off as a tasteless joke between staff members, but when she added the sentence at the bottom of that email saying "I think some of the kids would look great in this…don’t you think?

Think about if it was your child in her class. Would you want this overweight 24 year old who gets spoolished with other 5th grade teachers every few days to have thoughts about putting this type of clothing on your child?

[quote name='Roufuss']You should anonymously send the letter to the media, and get them to do some investigative journalism.[/QUOTE]

and whats that going to do?

The media can't do shit to get her fired.

Take it directly to the school board, with a write-up of our problems with the principal last year (reported abuse). Get that slack ass principal and teacher fired.

[quote name='kdunn77']Take it directly to the school board, with a write-up of our problems with the principal last year (reported abuse). Get that slack ass principal and teacher fired.[/QUOTE]

can't do that. Its easier said than done. Well first off all, the principal was already under investigation from HR and the office of compliance and inequity due to a major complaint made by one of her staff member after he was being abused by the principal. He took it all the way to the top (the superintendent of the county) and all the principal got was a slap on the wrist and told to leave the guy alone. This happened last year. If I report it, they aren't going to take it very seriously because they "protect each other"... unless the principal was stupid enough to be having sex with her students...then I don't think they will do anything. My guess is that if I did report it, they will just reprimand the teacher since it's her first year excuse( yea whatever). Put it this way, she aint no Debra Lafey (sp?)

That's actually kind of weird that someone from a elementary school would send that to anyone.
Just take it to higher authority and have them handle it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The media can't do shit to get her fired.[/QUOTE] I think you're wrong about that. Of course, they'd have to uncover something more.

You've probably heard of the story that broke a few days (weeks) back about the principal that was taped having sex with teachers in his office. Someone had sent the parents a copy of the tape and made it's way into the news. Maybe you could resort to something like that.

Hey, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents... Someone sent you this, and they know you have it. I know (b/c of the forum) that your intentions are noble, but if you just hold on to this thing, and something bad does happen and it somehow surfaces that you had recieved this letter, to the casual observer it would look, at very least, that you did absolutely nothing about it. I would think it would be more endangering to your job to hold on to something that inapropriate and do nothing about it. I don't know what the best possible channel is, but I would go on the record to someone above you, voicing your concern about this issue and let them know that you have absolutely no part in this.

[quote name='ITDEFX']

Think about if it was your child in her class. Would you want this overweight 24 year old who gets spoolished with other 5th grade teachers every few days to have thoughts about putting this type of clothing on your child?[/QUOTE]
Define this word, please.

what if it's a set-up? you didn't get the email, what if it was doctored by someone who doesn't like this megan to try to get her in trouble/fired. I'm not sure you have any grounds to go on since you dind't get the email, all you got was a doctored shot (possibly)

[quote name='ITDEFX']and whats that going to do?

The media can't do shit to get her fired.[/QUOTE]

Yea they can, they keep pressuring the school board with interviews, and telecasts saying "are your children safe." Then they'll will eventually, and quietly fire her.

[quote name='Graystone']Yea they can, they keep pressuring the school board with interviews, and telecasts saying "are your children safe." Then they'll will eventually, and quietly fire her.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

It's pretty hard to "protect your own" and "keep it quiet" when it's all over the news every night... parents are still going to wonder why this teacher isn't fired, start complaining, etc etc.

Like subby said, it all depends on what the news digs up.

Bring it to the police. Let them investigate her further. The last thing you want is to learn 5 years from now that she was molesting the children and you did nothing about it.

nah, anonymously send it to all the parents of the teacher's class. They'll raise enough stink about it that something will get done.

There was some festival, the teacher googled "Southern ware" or whatever, found this, thought it was funny that he found it searching for stuff for school, and e-mailed it. What's the big deal?

Anonymously put it in a principal's mailbox. Or just tell them "Hey, this was in my mailbox. Do you know what this is about?"

She's a witch! Burn her!

How do you know she's a witch?

She looks like one!!

I don't think there's enough evidence there to prove anything. An email with a bad choice of words can be defended against alot more easily than a sex video.

My advice, the first thing you need to find out is who sent you the mail, and if you know who, then you need to have a serious talk with this person. If they have this kind of evidence, it is entirely possible that they may have more evidence. It could be that they are just like you, trying to figure out what they should do about this problem and reaching out for help.

Don't do anything too rash just yet. Get more information, maybe talk to other teachers that you trust about this. Don't make it seem like you're going on a crusade against this perv because that will just put them on the defensive and perhaps lash out against you.

This could be a serious matter, or it could be a misunderstanding. Know the facts before you make any allegations, even anonymously. You could ruin this person's career (and/or life) or it could backfire back at you and ruin yours. Be careful.

[quote name='Krymner']She's a witch! Burn her!
She looks like one!!
I don't think there's enough evidence there to prove anything. An email with a bad choice of words can be defended against alot more easily than a sex video.

My advice, the first thing you need to find out is who sent you the mail, and if you know who, then you need to have a serious talk with this person. If they have this kind of evidence, it is entirely possible that they may have more evidence. It could be that they are just like you, trying to figure out what they should do about this problem and reaching out for help.

Don't do anything too rash just yet. Get more information, maybe talk to other teachers that you trust about this. Don't make it seem like you're going on a crusade against this perv because that will just put them on the defensive and perhaps lash out against you.

This could be a serious matter, or it could be a misunderstanding. Know the facts before you make any allegations, even anonymously. You could ruin this person's career (and/or life) or it could backfire back at you and ruin yours. Be careful.[/QUOTE]

My thing is that she's a teacher. Its not some random person making a joke. This is a teacher making a sexual joke. It goes without saying that they're are just some jokes you don't make in certain fields.

I was looking over the "evidence" again. I have a few questions did it says 1 of 2 at the bottom left page. Also did they print it with any url info like pages do sometimes?

[quote name='Graystone']My thing is that she's a teacher. Its not some random person making a joke. This is a teacher making a sexual joke. It goes without saying that they're are just some jokes you don't make in certain fields.[/quote]
You are *assuming* that it is a sexual joke. The teacher can just as easily claim that she thought the outfits were fashionable. Just because I compliment you on what you are wearing doesn't mean I want to have sex with you, even despite how much skin you are showing.

[quote name='Krymner']She's a witch! Burn her!

She looks like one!!

This could be a serious matter, or it could be a misunderstanding. Know the facts before you make any allegations, even anonymously. You could ruin this person's career (and/or life) or it could backfire back at you and ruin yours. Be careful.[/QUOTE]

Now the image I uploaded was a scanned copy of that email. I blocked off the names of the people's emails for privacy reasons here. Anyways I did speak to several people throughout the building, including the school's psychologist. All he could tell me that it is totally unprofessional on what she is doing. Other people were just plain discussed when they read her comment.

I don't see how this could be a misunderstanding. if she had ended the email with something like "Wouldn't we all look great like this during international night?" then that can be an inside joke. But she deliberately wrote "I think some of the kids would look great in this…don’t you think?".. that could be interpreted by a parent as someone who would like to see adult clothing on 5th grade boys and girls (I think I know who she wants to have this on in particular). Can anyone explain how if you wrote this and your boss brought it to your attention how can you say it was a joke or a misunderstanding?

I was thinking of putting a copy of this into each of the 5th graders in her classroom Tuesday folders that are sent to the parents, but that would defenitly point the finger at me as the one who did it because no other adult works with her who would have access to that stuff.

I don't see any children in immediate danger, but you kind of get disgusted working with a person who has thoughs types of thoughts.

[quote name='Graystone']I was looking over the "evidence" again. I have a few questions did it says 1 of 2 at the bottom left page. Also did they print it with any url info like pages do sometimes?[/QUOTE]

the other page was her signature and the school she works at (mine)

[quote name='Graystone']My thing is that she's a teacher. Its not some random person making a joke. This is a teacher making a sexual joke. It goes without saying that they're are just some jokes you don't make in certain fields.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can do whatever the fuck you want , but from 7:30am-3:00pm M-F you better not be doing this type of shit while on school grounds.

[quote name='The Crotch']My money's on this being a very poorly thought-out joke. Take whatever precautions you feel are necessary.[/QUOTE]

Yea...that's what Imus said and look what happened to him. In today's world you can't do this shit , espically over email about children. People think once they delete it, its gone forever...WRONG!

Confront the person who wrote the e-mail, and the person who you believe put the e-mail in the box. Let them know if they would like to make an explanation for what they've done before you go to the principal. If the principal is really as "corrupt" as you're making her out to be, then you need to take it to the media/the police.

All you're doing right now by showing random people is just spreading gossip and rumors - who even knows if this thing is real? You have NO PROOF. You could lose your job for that...

[quote name='getmyrunon']All you're doing right now by showing random people is just spreading gossip and rumors - who even knows if this thing is real? You have NO PROOF. You could lose your job for that...[/quote]

True - some kids could be leading you on.

well to be honest..... One of the people she sent a copy of this email to was my boss. My boss is a dumb shit who leaves her email account opened all the time in the classroom. I could verify it by opening up her email and checking the dates and time when it was sent. If it matches, then bingo. Also I heard that day when I was picking up my students that same teacher was talking about it to another teacher right infront of her students.

This would most likely be the only way to verify it if it were true, to access my boss' email, but then again if I brought it to the principal she will ask, how did I get this if my email wasn't on the CC list?

As for talking to this one teacher... well I could do that..but given the fact that there are other , more professional people who could say this to her and she considers me nothing but an aid, might as well say nothing to her. For her to know that I know what has been said gives me the power to keep her in check.

[quote name='Stoneage']Define this word, please.[/QUOTE]

I believe spoolished means "stuffing a cat in a toilet"

secretspot.jpg

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I believe spoolished means "stuffing a cat in a toilet"

secretspot.jpg
[/QUOTE]

LOL hey man long time no hear!

Anyways the last time I heard someone say that to me was from an old friend of mine. It does from my understanding means getting drunk/wasted.

go to someone higher than the principal. i too live in va and my girlfriends brother is somewhere around that grade level. think of it from a parents or friend of the family's point of view. i would rather put some risk on myself than to not do anything about it just to find out something happened. honestly, now that people know that you know, and you do nothing about it, it will come back on you as well if something does happen. you said you talked to some people, so i would hope they too would do something.

If someone else put this in your box, then I think it's obvious you're not the only one that is concerned about it. You mentioned there were other things about this teacher that had you concerned. What were those?

I think you definitely should do something about this. Like previously posted, the worst thing you could do is ignore it, then find out later on that she's been molesting children in her spare time.

Deciding whether or not the e-mail was a joke is not your responsibility. Your responsibility is simply to report a potential threat that you (and someone else) thinks might exist. Let someone above you know, possibly the police, and let them do the investigating.

Report it, and let the authorities do their jobs. If you don't feel comfortable with it, because you think your job may be threatened, then do it anonymously.

Look at it this way -- if some poor child comes forward that there has been some misconduct, and it gets out that you knew, but didn't do anything, that's more detrimental than making a false report. Err on the side of safety.

so is this considered immediate child endangerment?

I think this might be a case for Child Protective Services vs the police correct?

Ya, tough to say... you could keep a record of it, for yourself, and note anymore bizarre behavior. Right now the teacher could easily say she was just joking, and make big trouble for you. That tenure can be a bitch.

bread's done
Back