Need advice on storage device for images and files

meerkatgamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Well my desktop is finally working so we plan to buy a storage device so we have the images and important files backed up what would be a good thing to buy?

I've seen those hard drives are they good and what brand should I get?

Should I just put it on a CD or some other type of device like a SD memory card or USB storage device?

I got about 1,000 pictures most likely more.

I've never bought these type of things before and thought I'd see opinions of people who have used them and what's the best kind to get for decent price..

How much space would you need?

If it's under 4GB, you can get a USB flash drive
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Data...GYF6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1303149940&sr=8-4

If it's a lot more space, you may want an external hard drive. They've become pretty affordable. Western Digital is the most popular brand. I'd recommend this since it's a lot more convenient for backing up files.
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_355692422_8?ie=UTF8&node=2637571011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=0QVGAKMAC072ANFT85F9&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1291994942&pf_rd_i=western%20digital

The best way to go about it is to get an external USB hard drive and set up the backup software that comes preinstalled on them (Often in the form of a virtual cd that auto-mounts) to back up your users folder and any other specific folders outside of that. While I don't think it uses any advanced backup software that works at the bit/block level, file level should be good enough for standard needs.

I don't really recommend using flash storage such as thumb drives/flash drives to back up actual data as their reliability is often less than that of a hard drive. They're great for transporting data though.

As for the brand, Western Digital is the most popular to my knowledge. Seagate is probably second.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Thanks a lot.

I'm thinking of getting this one either the 1TB one or 2TB one, since I got plenty of pictures, and a few files to back up too.
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...BMB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303151527&sr=8-1

Do these have any problems like do they crash or stop working?[/QUOTE]

All things will die on your eventually.

If you can take care of it by dusting it. Running diagnostic software on it regularly (I recommend you setup some automatic schedule of it for defrag, virus scan and check disk). You will extend the life of your hardware.

Some ppl have computers and external HDs that last 10+ years while others have units that die every 2 years.

Also space is an issue. Make sure you don't give your HD around hi powered speakers and such to reduce EMI.

If you maintain it...Should not be a problem.

Also read the companies warranty programs before making that final purchase. Many companies offer 'FREE' limited lifetime warranties while others only offer 9 months or more. Some stores try to rob you by offering/having you pay for something you get for free anyway.

bread's done
Back