Need Advice - Possible Fraud

yakkotank

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I'm at the end of my rope on this one, and CAG has never let me down before.

Here's the story thus far....

I arranged to buy a PSP Slim with 4 games, a case, and a movie from a member of another forum for $208 (including Priority Mail shipping). He had very good feedback, but he only accepted checks.

I sent him a check for $208 on 1/18.

I hadn't heard from him within a week, so I tracked him down on another board and sent him a message.

On 1/29, he responded and gave me a tracking #.

Since then, my package has not been delivered (even though it's been 4 weeks). I've tried to contact him via PM and email, but he has not surfaced on any forums since then.

I tried to call him by doing a reverse lookup on 411.com, but the phone number listed for his address doesn't work.

I called my post office, and his, as well. I did find out that he shipped the PSP First Class, which means the weight is limited to 13 oz. I somehow doubt that everything in the lot could weight less than 13 oz.

I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do at this point, but I'm suspecting that he sent a dummy envelope or something just to get me a tracking number.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I found his old eBay page, it's almost definitely fraud:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=justin-anderson&ftab=AllFeedback

I filed a mail fraud complaint too, for what it's worth. I'll call my bank later today.

Only accepting a check sounds strange, I could see not accepting Paypal but almost everyone accepts money orders as well as checks.

Yeah, accepting checks only should been a warning sign...

I'd call your bank and tell them what happened. Maybe he cashed it to his bank account... and maybe they could track it?

Like MTX said, just because its been cashed doesnt mean shit.

No matter where it got cashed, theres a paper trail. If he did it at a check cashing place, he would need a ID. Unless its fake, he can be found.

Get with your bank and explain and if theyre worth a damn, theyll help you.

So where is the package now?
You said you have a tracking number. Was it delivered to the wrong address? I don't understand. Did it get lost? Maybe it's still on it's way to your house.

So I know it's probably a fraud, but you would still likely want to get a hold of the package, just don't open it, and so you have evidence.

Seems he was selling a lot of stuff legit... and then decided, "why do I need to actually send the stuff?"

eBay can be rough sometimes.

Not to make light of anything on this but...LOL @ him getting positive feedback for scamming someone out of $135.

But unfortunately those feedbacks on eBay go to show you that they really don't care about people ripping each other off.

And people say Gamestop is shady...

[quote name='techstar25']So where is the package now?
You said you have a tracking number. Was it delivered to the wrong address? I don't understand. Did it get lost? Maybe it's still on it's way to your house.

So I know it's probably a fraud, but you would still likely want to get a hold of the package, just don't open it, and so you have evidence.[/QUOTE]

It seems like he sent a package or letter to a phony address.

One of his eBay feedbacks says:

"Same here. Trying to throw off Paypal by providing DC#, but to a fake address."

Like previous people said, have you contacted your bank?

I know on eBay I sold a DVD lot, awhile ago, the check showed that it cleared in my bank, and I ship out, then the buyer stopped payment on the check. Unfortunely there I was screwed, and I had to pay a 35.00 fee for having a check stop payment. You may still have a chance at stopping it.

Second, I know for a fact if you pay with a debit card anywhere you can normally start a dispute process if a company or individual screws you over. You should have some protection with your bank. I think Banks are really the only place that cashs personal checks anymore, unless you have not build up a history of using your own checks at a grocery store for example. Hopefully he deposited the check into his bank account, or even cashed it at his bank for that matter.

I am almost postive your bank will be able to help you out. Contact them, and let them know what happend they are really your only hope for getting your money bank. With the police and mail fraud there is no gurantee you will get anything back. If he has been doing this sending to phony addys for fake dc numbers a couple time, like the ebay feedback shows, and you filed mail fraud, I would say that there is probally alot pointing to this guy.

[quote name='yakkotank']I checked with the bank, and they said that once it's cleared, it's too late.[/quote]

Really? Wow ..

You said you filed mail fraud? It seems alot of other people on that link you sent have also filed mail fraud, hopefully that elimantes the chance of him getting away with it.

What was your reply from the local police department? Inform them of all the other information you have on him doing this to 20+ people.

They should atleast contact him, hopefully this will scare him into sending your money back. I believe it is you can only file a civil report though it being over the internet ..

the best advice I got in that thread:
[quote name='pimpinc333']Go to his house and punch him in the dick.[/quote]

and lol @ my serious responses to RegalSin2020.

anyway OP, like I said in the PM I sent, this is crazy that this guy is at it again. Please let me know what forum he's on.

bread's done
Back