Need advice, PS3 and storage space

Shifty Effect

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Hey guys, first time posting in any Playstation forum. Not that I am not a fan or anything, just went the Xbox 360 way this generation. As luck would have it I sold my unused paintball marker for a great price and now I am interested in getting a PS3, the Blu-Ray alone gets me excited, not to mention the PS3 exclusives I've missed thus far.

The only real thing I am undecided about is storage space. I plan on hunting on Ebay for a deal, but not sure how much space I will need. I will undoutedly get Journey and Last Of Us (if its good) and such so space is my concern. At the same time I don't want to spend more for space I will never use. I suppose I am a minimalist in this situation.

So, PS3 owners/fans, what model should I get that saves me money and gets me enough storage?

Oh and BTW, If there are situations where I could get the Xbox 360 version of a game, I will go that route instead of the PS3, since most my friends are xbox live users.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always upgrade your hard drive if you need more space. I have a 320GB PS3 hard drive which I upgraded from a 40GB hard drive that came with my PS3. That said, I only have used about 90GB of the 320GB. I don't buy much games/movies from the PS Store though. I also don't have pictures or music stored on my PS3 hard drive. Majority of my storage needs comes from patches, game saves, mandatory game installs, and a handful of PSN games. I use my PS3 for blu-ray movies and PS3 retail disc based games mostly.

If you are like me, I think a 250GB PS3 would suffice.

do you want Uncharted? if so buy the $299 model with the 320 gig hard drive and U3

if you do not what uncharted i would just get the $250 160 drive. it should last a long time and if you need to upgrade it you can use any 2.5inch 9.5mm sata drive

If you are doing multiconsole games on Xbox than definitely 160 should be enough unles you go for Uncharted Bundle which is a great deal especially of you find bundled with 1 and 2 for free. But I have ps3 as my primary console and 160 is more than enough for me who only plays on ps3 basically. So if you plan to be a light user for exclusives 160 will cover you.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 120. Just make sure you're getting the latest iteration of the hardware, they have a lot of different versions of the PS3 Slims and the latest one should have better energy usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware#Configurations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware#Form_and_power_consumption
The Latest 320 has only a 200 watt power supply compared to the originals and uses a lot less energy overall. Model numbers should be on the side of the PS3 box.

Thanks a lot guys, this has been very helpfull. It seems I should look for a 160gb or more deal.

Oh and yes, I do want Uncharted...all of them. lol

[quote name='Shifty Effect']Thanks a lot guys, this has been very helpfull. It seems I should look for a 160gb or more deal.

Oh and yes, I do want Uncharted...all of them. lol[/QUOTE]look for a ps3 UC deal that'll net the UC dual pack along with the UC bundle usually for $275-$300 depending on the place/sale. Also, it's better to have more space & not need it then to need it & not have it. I have many games(80 GB PS3) & it sucks to have to delete unfinished titles just to play a game that takes up alot of space that I really want.

May be a bit late but I had an offer in my best buy gamer rewards for 50 off of a 320 gb and 25 off of a 160. My original 60gb bit the dust this week so these came in handy. Unfortunately all the store by me had no bundles or even 1 320gb model. Still 25 off a 160 made me happy.

I was just in this situation, I just bought a PS3 on Sunday. I mainly play on Xbox, and I have had a PS3 before and got rid of it cause I kinda needed the money. My main uses are going to be for Blurays, streaming, and PS3 exclusives. I got a used PS3 Slim 160GB with COD4, God of War 3, and Bad Company 2 for $165 shipped on eBay. He listed that the controller didn't work well but I bought one that's like a 360 controller cheap on Amazon with credit. I feel that 160GB should be enough, I have a 250GB in my Xbox and it's almost full but I have bought lots, and I mean lots of stuff on there. I had a 80GB PS3 before and I believe I had 15-20GBs left back then. I have more blurays and might get more games then I had before, but I dont see me using double that space. My advice is decide what you want, how much you are willing to spend, and then go find it for that price. I only wanted to spend around $150-180 and I got a good deal on what I wanted.

I never keep the install files for 4-6 game sitting on my PS3's hard drive unless I know I'm definitely going to be playing them sometime soon. Moreover, once I finish a game I delete the install files but I usually do keep the save files on the system just in case I want to play it again sometime.

Usually the save files are so small, so it really makes no sense to delete them and have to redo a good portion of a game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I never keep the install files for 4-6 game sitting on my PS3's hard drive unless I know I'm definitely going to be playing them sometime soon. Moreover, once I finish a game I delete the install files but I usually do keep the save files on the system just in case I want to play it again sometime.

Usually the save files are so small, so it really makes no sense to delete them and have to redo a good portion of a game.[/QUOTE]
That is the same thing with me. I can only at most play 2 games a month so I only leave 2 game install files on my hard drive at a time. I have a fast broadband connection so re-downloading patches is not a problem for me, same for PSN games. The save files I just leave them in the cloud with PS+.

Best buy has 320 gb and you get a 50$ off.... or you can get 25$ off their 120gb
link

the 320gb offer is good on these SKUs
Valid on these product SKUs:

I have a ps3 and a 360 and filled my 250Gb hard drive up it sucks not having hard drive space to play games I am upgrading it to a 500GB hard drive

bread's done
Back