Need advice (unconfirmed address)

video_gamer324

CAGiversary!
Feedback
188 (99%)
So when I heard about the rerelease of Phoenix Wright, I dumped my copy on eBay ASAP and got someone to pay $46 for it. Only problem is, he has an unconfirmed address and only one feedback. I decided to look up the address and found that it is indeed legit, but the name of the person is different. I contacted the buyer about this, telling him why I can't ship to the unconfirmed address, but he responded that his account is a joint account, and the other name is the person he's sharing the account with. He told me he couldn't change the shipping address, so I should just ship to the address he gave me.

While I'd love to complete this sale so I'm not forced to sell the game later for ~$20, I'd also rather hang onto the game instead of having a Paypal chargeback situation on my hands where I'm out the money AND the game. I know his address is unconfirmed, which means I'm not eligible for Paypal's seller protection policy, but I do have the e-mail from this guy saying that the address is good - will that help me win a dispute?

I also researched this guy's bidding history, and here's what I came up with. He seems legit, but I wanted to know what you guys think.
- He lost a different PW auction before mine that sold for $56, then he started bidding on mine.
- He's been bidding on a lot of different PSP games lately.
- He only paid me at the very last minute after I threatened to file a NPB report.

He's probably perfectly legit, but you never know. There is absolutely nothing that will win you favor in a dispute if you don't ship to a confirmed address - I've been seriously burned by this before. I sold a DS system to a guy right after the launch for around $200, and I shipped with DC and everything. He denied he ever got it, but the post office confirmed delivery of the box. He did a chargeback, I provided Paypal with the DC information, and he STILL won the dispute.

Paypal will ALWAYS SIDE WITH THE BUYER, in ANY dispute.

Good luck buddy, that sounds like a tough call.

You are definetly taking a risk by shipping it. I would change your auction terms for all future auctions and say you only ship to confirmed addresses to avoid this from happening again.

[quote name='organicow']He's probably perfectly legit, but you never know. There is absolutely nothing that will win you favor in a dispute if you don't ship to a confirmed address - I've been seriously burned by this before. I sold a DS system to a guy right after the launch for around $200, and I shipped with DC and everything. He denied he ever got it, but the post office confirmed delivery of the box. He did a chargeback, I provided Paypal with the DC information, and he STILL won the dispute.

Paypal will ALWAYS SIDE WITH THE BUYER, in ANY dispute.

Good luck buddy, that sounds like a tough call.[/QUOTE]

I second this comment. Paypal will always side with the buyer bar none. I recently had to refund a buyer $40 for two controllers he claim he never got. He was from the Dominican Republic and had no proof other than his "word". Mind you, he was an unverified international buyer, and Paypal still sided with him.

But the profit margin is high enough you can risk it, and if anything, you can always show eBay proof that he wanted it shipped to THAT address, make sure all your contact is through ebay's message system, tell him you need the address again via an ebay my message and once you get the reply with the address, that's enough proof to show that's where he wanted it.

If he's a slow payer, you can be a slow shipper. I would say the only safe bet at this point is to allow him the chance to verify his address at Paypal and then you'll ship it out.

If they're not willing to wait, I would refund the money and relist it, or choose the "2nd chance offer" for the next highest bidder from your completed auction.

It's probably legit, but it's so easy for them to screw you over on this, do you really want to cross that bridge if you don't have to?

Well, thanks for your input everyone. I just got a message from another seller who sold this guy a PSP game, and they confirmed that the buyer is legit, so I think I'm going to go ahead and send the game. My first instinct was to refund the guy's money and go with a second chance offer, but there were only two other bidders, and both have secured other copies of PW by now. I've already offered the buyer a shipping upgrade (from first class to Priority), so hopefully he won't have any reason to want to screw me.

[quote name='video_gamer324']So when I heard about the rerelease of Phoenix Wright, I dumped my copy on eBay ASAP and got someone to pay $46 for it. Only problem is, he has an unconfirmed address and only one feedback. I decided to look up the address and found that it is indeed legit, but the name of the person is different. I contacted the buyer about this, telling him why I can't ship to the unconfirmed address, but he responded that his account is a joint account, and the other name is the person he's sharing the account with. He told me he couldn't change the shipping address, so I should just ship to the address he gave me.

While I'd love to complete this sale so I'm not forced to sell the game later for ~$20, I'd also rather hang onto the game instead of having a Paypal chargeback situation on my hands where I'm out the money AND the game. I know his address is unconfirmed, which means I'm not eligible for Paypal's seller protection policy, but I do have the e-mail from this guy saying that the address is good - will that help me win a dispute?

I also researched this guy's bidding history, and here's what I came up with. He seems legit, but I wanted to know what you guys think.
- He lost a different PW auction before mine that sold for $56, then he started bidding on mine.
- He's been bidding on a lot of different PSP games lately.
- He only paid me at the very last minute after I threatened to file a NPB report.[/QUOTE]

unless you said in the auction that you will only ship to a confirmed address, you have to ship the game out.

bread's done
Back