Need alittle help determining a way to sell my powerbook

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
i have a 15 inch powerbook mint with no scratches. mint and complete. standard 15 inch with superdrive. here are my questions

- How much would i be able to sell it for?
-Whats the best way to sell it? ex:ebay or CaG or any other way
-If ebay, should i add a reserve and add alot of pictures and style it?

ebay is your best bet - i just sold a powerbook - what specs you got?

you should sell it quick - as the new mac book pros just came out so the price powerbooks dropped a bit.

pics are really helpful - so are lots of specs and accessories and if you've got good battery life that really helps - if you've got original software and install discs that ups your price by like 50-100 bucks.

ebay is really the way to go - i tried using other web forums and mac forums but that takes way longer.

Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f1
Serial Number: W851300NSQ6
Sudden Motion Sensor: Enabled
Sudden Motion Sensor Version: 1.0

yes everything is compelete with orginial software and i'm going to sell my microsoft office. everythign is mint no scratches anywhere. box and everything. i'm not missing a thing. let me know.

I'd check out what they've been going for lately, and I'd definitely put a reserve price in it. Sometimes, things just go weird, and you don't want to get hosed with a low price. Put as much as you can in the title. Not just powerbook, but maybe the memory size, etc.

I say eBay. Let the market decide a fair price. So long as you've got solid payment and S&H on both ends, everything should be fine.

Craigslist is being flooded with G4 PBs and G5 iMacs, but people are asking delusional prices for them. I was thinking of using the opportunity to pick up a nice G5 iMac on the cheap, and I e-mailed 7 people about their iMacs, but these people are out of their gourds. I haven't found a one who is asking anything more than $200 under what they paid retail. Tried to negotiate on the price with one guy, who responded with a long e-mail about the luxury and longevity of the Macintosh. It was a brain fuck of the first kind.

My guess is there's something in the plastics of the G5 iMac--something that produces some toxic vapour when heated--that's causing the incredible stupidity I am witnessing in so many owners looking to dump their babies for an upgrade.

Very true. However, once the iPod 5G came out, even a month after, the prices for 4g and photo ipods were amazingly high. They almost reached $300 for the 20gb with shipping. I think many sellers on ebay feed on ignorance, I know i did when i first got into the tech game.
BTW, Apple is still selling the Powerbook G4s and iMac G5s on their website for the same unreduced price.

[quote name='greenbags125']
BTW, Apple is still selling the Powerbook G4s and iMac G5s on their website for the same unreduced price.[/QUOTE]
15" PBs got pulled for the MacBook. My wife just bought a 15" G4 PB after the light upgrade a few months ago. She is still steaming over the MacBook announcement.

Another thing I forgot to ask the original poster is how long he's had it. Maybe I overlooked it in the original post. Also, are the warranties on Macs transferrable? That may be worth mentioning if you've got an active warranty on the PB.

If I were looking to buy something with the specs you've listed, $1600 would be too rich for my blood. Not when I can spec a similar iBook and purchase that new iBook for $300 under what you want for your similarly spec'd and used PB. I'm telling you this as a buyer, not a seller. If I wanted your PB, I'd probably be able to talk myself into paying as much as $1100, but I'd want to start you lower to get the ball rolling.

Again, telling you this as buyer, not seller. $1600 may be a little high of an ask--it may scare off some buyers. But if you're eBaying, you don't have to worry about that.

iBooks are the lower class Powerbooks. However, with time, iBooks will become more powerful than Powerbooks of a previous generation. The new iBooks are more powerful than your Powerbook, and cheaper than what you're willing to let it go for.

yea i hear ya, now how can i help raise the price? any ideas? like throwing stuff in or offering free shipping or something. and what if my auction ends with no bidders or any bids with the reserve not being met, will i still have to pay a fee?

[quote name='shadylane']yea i hear ya, now how can i help raise the price? any ideas? like throwing stuff in or offering free shipping or something. and what if my auction ends with no bidders or any bids with the reserve not being met, will i still have to pay a fee?[/QUOTE]
Yup, and with a reserve price, you can't relist for free. :/

I would throw it up on eBay. The auction would be much cheaper without a reserve, but I doubt you're willing to do that.

Sounds like you definitely want to get rid of this PB, but you're still aiming a little high on the price IMO.

Throw it up on eBay with a reserve of $1000. If you're lucky, you'll get as much as $1300. If not, it will hopefully at least hit the reserve.

Good luck! I feel bad for people trying to resell their Macs at a legitimately fair price. You have to convince yourself on the initial purchase that overpaying is okay because "It's a Mac," and then you have to go through the whole overpaying headache AGAIN when you try to resell it and recover a little coin.

While I enjoy using Macs, I dislike the way they run their business--the pricing and sudden product line shifts make it hard on new owners and old owners alike.

EDIT: Also, I should mention that I'm not looking to buy your PB. Just giving perspective as somebody who was looking to buy used iMac not even a few days ago. (Have since decided to pony up and go in for a Core Duo iMac.)

I don't think you're going to get $1600. Macs are known for holding their value, but buying a PowerPC now is just like pissing money away. And the Apple community knows that. I'd say you might get $1200 tops.

[quote name='WebScud']I don't think you're going to get $1600. Macs are known for holding their value, but buying a PowerPC now is just like pissing money away. And the Apple community knows that. I'd say you might get $1200 tops.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. The G4 processors are ancient compared to the new Dual Core Centrinos.

[quote name='greenbags125']Precisely. The G4 processors are ancient compared to the new Dual Core Centrinos.[/QUOTE]

Whats even more awesome is the current lack of support and glitches and bugs to work through. If anyone remembers the 1st G4 powerbook nightmare, I'd wait for Gen 2 Macbooks... that'll be in like 6 months and they wont look like powerbook wanna-bees

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Whats even more awesome is the current lack of support and glitches and bugs to work through. If anyone remembers the 1st G4 powerbook nightmare, I'd wait for Gen 2 Macbooks... that'll be in like 6 months and they wont look like powerbook wanna-bees[/QUOTE]

I don't even want one until 70-80% are "OS X Universal". Rosetta is nice, but I'll be damned if I'm running everything through emulation.

True, Apple isn't really good about their first generation products. I would definitely wait for the second generation, or as its commonly know by Apple insiders, Rev 2.

[quote name='greenbags125']True, Apple isn't really good about their first generation products. I would definitely wait for the second generation, or as its commonly know by Apple insiders, Rev 2.[/QUOTE]
First, not an 'insider,' but I think they refer to Revs in letters. So it's Rev A, B, so on.

Second, I know that repair shops say they see more first gen Macs than Macs of any other gen, but isn't this true for most products? I don't know if it is. Furthermore, I wonder if the notion that Apple's first gen isn't so hot isn't more myth than reality. Stats to back these kind of things up would make it easier to accept.

From what I've read on rumor forums, the x32 core duo iMacs are fine. However, according to rumors flying in many directions (and perhaps conceived just to grief Mac fanboys), the MacBook to be released in Feb (march?) may be significantly rushed to market.

I think the dilemma now for people looking for a new Mac is to figure out if you want a 32-bit machine/OS or if you want to wait on an annoucement about 64-bit machines/OS, which should be dropping from Apple any time now. People forget the speed improvements you get from 64-bit, especially if you're using your machine for things like scientific computing. This is the decision I'm mulling over. It would be much easier to make if Blizzard weren't releasing the unversal binary for WoW in only a few weeks--makes me want that iMac ASAP.

But to bring it all back on topic, I don't think the intel macs are going to totally destroy demand for PPC products. There's still a market for PPC stuff out there, it's just that Mac owners have to accept that the intel macs make those PPC products appear less trendy. A used PPC will still give you a lot of utility over the next 1.5-2 years, which ain't bad if you can find one for a decent price.

bread's done
Back