Need an idea for a speech

trytej

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Its school time :cry: and for Sophmore year we have to make a speech about a debateable topic. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I can't think of anything good. So, I'm asking for some ideas.

Something on oil would probably be good, perhaps a speech debating the real effect of increased gas milage on the overall consumption of oil in America.

Take it a step further and take it to why no political party will stand for increased nuclear, wind or hydroelectric power to decrease dependence on oil for electrical generation for national security purposes.

You know at this point I don't believe the 100 MPG engines being kept under wraps by Detroit story anymore. I'm fully convinced that the first company that can make an engine using alternative fuels equal in power output to a V-8 can rule the world in a way that Henry Ford only dreamed about. With that kind of potential power to be had those stories have really turned out to be a big urban legend.

Okay, off topic.

Anyways the alternative fuel topic is a hot button and completely non-partisan illegal immigration is another one. Increased gas mileage always comes down to D's for it, R's against it as it is really not that useful in long term energy independence.

I think you mean sophomore in high school. I went to a catholic school, so if I had to do a more public speech, I would have done it on abortion (assuming your pro choice). If not, then maybe something on AIDs in africa (and mention the role of the church)? I always used to do topics that seemed to aggravate people, but I always did them well so there wasn't much they could do (not that I cared that much anyway).

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']You know at this point I don't believe the 100 MPG engines being kept under wraps by Detroit story anymore. I'm fully convinced that the first company that can make an engine using alternative fuels equal in power output to a V-8 can rule the world in a way that Henry Ford only dreamed about. With that kind of potential power to be had those stories have really turned out to be a big urban legend.[/QUOTE]

They've already made them, I saw an article about Portland and the city has designated parting spots in the middle of town with electrical outlets that are free for use for electrical cars. The cars are basically a modified Toyata Prius with a bunch of batteries in the trunk, and you can get 100-150 miles for every gallon of gas and dollar's worth of electricity. The problem is that the cars cost about $30,000 right now, but eventually the price will come down and the Japanese will beat the idiotic "more power, more pickups, more SUVs" mantra of Detroit once again.

[quote name='Brak']Avoid something that everybody else is going to do...[/QUOTE]

Generally that's a poor idea. The audience must have some fundamental knowledge of the topic at hand or your speech won't effectively reach them.

It's typically a much better idea to use a long debated topic but to toss in a few points of your own.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Generally that's a poor idea. The audience must have some fundamental knowledge of the topic at hand or your speech won't effectively reach them.

It's typically a much better idea to use a long debated topic but to toss in a few points of your own.[/QUOTE]

But you can do topics that most people are afraid of doing.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']But you can do topics that most people are afraid of doing.[/QUOTE]

I've found that in debate a lot of topics people are afraid of doing are rather one-sided and don't pan out too well.

I mean you really are limited by to an incredibly short amount of time so you really can't spend more than 30 seconds explaining what you are talking about. If your audience doesn't know anything about the topic area and if less than 30% of them agree with you it's not going to be a very good debate. Either everyone will argue because they dont' agree or understand what you are saying or no one will. You really need to strike up a balance and that's why so many debates are on the same dozen or so topics.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Generally that's a poor idea. The audience must have some fundamental knowledge of the topic at hand or your speech won't effectively reach them.

It's typically a much better idea to use a long debated topic but to toss in a few points of your own.[/QUOTE]

I'm speaking in terms of standing up and doing the same argument that Jack and Jill did ten minutes prior. I'm not saying to choose a debate that is so obscure that nobody will have a clue as to what is being said.

In one of my college writing classes, we had to do this... and 3 people did abortion, 4 people did gun control and a couple others did the death penalty. I was the only one who selected cloning.

[quote name='Brak']I'm speaking in terms of standing up and doing the same argument that Jack and Jill did ten minutes prior. I'm not saying to choose a debate that is so obscure that nobody will have a clue as to what is being said.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying that if you don't pick a debate similar to what Jack and Jill did no one will have a clue what you are talking about. Debates really give you a very limited period of time to get your point across, you don't have time to explain things. In fact all you can really do is rattle off a few arguments and maybe some numbers to support them. The best way to do that is to look into topics that have been well debated and researched in the past.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I'm saying that if you don't pick a debate similar to what Jack and Jill did no one will have a clue what you are talking about. Debates really give you a very limited period of time to get your point across, you don't have time to explain things. In fact all you can really do is rattle off a few arguments and maybe some numbers to support them. The best way to do that is to look into topics that have been well debated and researched in the past.[/QUOTE]

But he said he needed a speech about a debateable topic, not that he's having a real debate that goes back and forth. I assume he's talking about essentially doing a paper and choosing a side.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']But he said he needed a speech about a debateable topic, not that he's having a real debate that goes back and forth. I assume he's talking about essentially doing a paper and choosing a side.[/QUOTE]

Which is the same thing, you need a topic you can choose a side on, quickly state the topic and then provide points for both sides and come to a conclusion. He's probably not going to have space to write 3 pages explaining things.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Which is the same thing, you need a topic you can choose a side on, quickly state the topic and then provide points for both sides and come to a conclusion. He's probably not going to have space to write 3 pages explaining things.[/QUOTE]

In high school I had papers were we'd pick a topic, and argue that side in front of the class. I never had an actual, back and forth, debate.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']In high school I had papers were we'd pick a topic, and argue that side in front of the class. I never had an actual, back and forth, debate.[/QUOTE]

See most of the classes I had involved writing a paper but then also debating the topic. Eitherway you don't have a lot of time to explain what the topic is and often most importantly why it's an important topic to discuss.

Personally I say it's the main fault with debates, unless your audience knows something about the area (in which case they likely already have an opinion on the topic) it takes too much time to give them the basic info required to understand the debate.

Ya, that what I did for one of my speechs for public speaking in College was Cloning as well. So there that, or maybe something about the use of Stem Cells.
Perhaps a paper about role of the United States in the Israel and Palenstine conflict or maybe a paper standing for or against the recent pullout from the Gaza strip.
Could take a cue from the recent Video game snafu and write about if violence in video game significantly influences or behavior.
Are there social consequences to pushing abstinence as the only form of contraceptive in some sex education programs?

If you consider yourself open, you might try arguing the opposite side of the issue you believe, but only if you will give genuine effort to research "the other side."

How about a speech about if aliens visit the earth? I did a speech about that when I was in high school and I had a lot of fun doing all of the research.

umm, ok, more, let's see... the increased use of prescription drugs to curb children's behavior.
Since there is an established connection between the stimulant Nicotime and heart problems, is there a similar connection between caffeine and heart problems?
Japan seems to be on the verge of integrating robots into everyday life, what possiblities and consequences will that bring?
How would increased automation/remote control change the face of warfare and would we be more willing to wage war if it would cost our side no losses by this method?
Argue that women should be required to register for selective service since men are required to.
Argue for lowering the drinking age back down to 18.
Argue for raising the minimum driving age.
Argue for or against allowing smoking in restaurants or take it a step further and propose making cigarettes illegal.
Would legalizing marijuana increase, decrease, or do nothing to improve the economy.

Or just have fun with it, take some outrageous stance and use facts to back it up.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']biast in the media is nice, you could go either angle of liberal or conservative biast, there is a lot of info on both.[/QUOTE]

Or how about the biast against covering real news?

[quote name='zionoverfire']Or how about the biast against covering real news?[/QUOTE]

It's bias, not biast. And I like this suggestion by zion -- fascination with teenage drunks in Aruba or a Michael Jackson or Martha Stewart, for example.

Argue how motherfuckers keep coming to this country and demanding that we respect their ideals, values, religion, and so-forth, hey if you loved how things were in your old country, why'd you leave it?

Ya, something along those lines, just less vulgar. It's sure to piss off someone in your class.

bread's done
Back