Need Assistance in Rebuilding Dell Dimension 2400

Dinky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
As the title says, I need help. Anyone with knowledge of installing hardware to a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop? I've successfully replaced the stock disc drives with 2 disc drives from an HP Pavilion a1000 as well as the hard drive. I also installed 2 GB of RAM with two sticks of RAM. I'm wondering if there is anything else in the HP Pavilion a1000 I could salvage? I'm also needing assistance in installing a controller card and video card. I have the parts already. However, I don't know how to start. If anyone has any free time and patience for me, let me know. I'm barely getting into computers like this and eager to learn more. I have a fresh copy of Windows XP installed from a CD I got from Dell. In addition, because of the fresh copy of Windows, I need help installing drivers. I have the Resource CD from Dell but some of this stuff flies way over my head sometimes. You can instruct me from my laptop and we can use a chatroom and TeamSpeak to make things easier as well, although I'll need to install network drivers for the desktop before I can download anything off the internet. Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day.

DDR1 - if you have 2gb it's maxxed out. HD - they don't get very big with IDE (the type this uses) so I wouldn't worry about it.

There's not much else hardware wise you can do with it for performance, everything else is really just experiment.

Go to Dell.com, bottom of the page, "Drivers and downloads." Home User, "Choose from a list of Dell products," select your computer from the selection. Dell will have all of the drivers you need separated by category to download and install. When it's on the 'net things are a lot easier.

Hey. Thanks for replying. I figured it out. Took a little experimenting as well as trial and error, but everything installed fine. Hopefully this should be good, unless there are settings I should change to maximize performance. Google is a great resource.

[quote name='BigPopov']DDR1 - if you have 2gb it's maxxed out. HD - they don't get very big with IDE (the type this uses) so I wouldn't worry about it.
[/QUOTE]

There are tonns of 750gb IDE drives around, and many more 500gb IDE's

[quote name='altecforty2']There are tonns of 750gb IDE drives around, and many more 500gb IDE's[/QUOTE]

750 = not "very big", and they cost 4x-5x as much as a 1TB SATA HD. Not a very smart decision. If you need space just buy an external.

bread's done
Back