Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Criterion's NFS Reboot - Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://criteriongames.com/NFS/index.php

backgrounde.jpg

If you want the inside scoop live and direct from Criterion Games, you’ve come to the right place. This week, we’re announcing our Need for Speed game for Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 and it’s out in November. Here’s a trailer to get you in the mood – it’s a glimpse of some of the awesome cars, locations and action you can expect from our take on Need for Speed. As you can see, we’re all about high speed pursuits. You can play as Cop or Racer – shut down the bad guys or escape from the law! But if you look closely at the trailer, you’ll see more than just a great police pursuit! Today, we’ll talk you through what you might have missed....

Back to its Roots

Our game is inspired by the original Need for Speed on 3DO – we loved the thrill of the driving the open road and shaking off the cops in exotic supercars. The first thing you’ll notice in our trailer is the open, high speed roads of the coastal, forest and desert regions – very reminiscent of our 3DO inspiration.

License to Thrill

With Need for Speed, we’ve got a stack of new toys to play with for the first time – real, licensed cars! The trailer shows what it’s like to run from the cops in the Koenigsegg CCX, McLaren’s incredible new MP4-12C and ultra exclusive Pagani Zonda Cinque. It would be a breeze if the cops weren’t packing equally exclusive hardware – the Ford Shelby GT500, the extraordinary Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and the legendary Lamborghini Murciélago for a start. But don’t get too attached – our pursuits are all about high speed aggressive driving. Don’t expect to finish in a pristine car!

Escalating the Action

Cops are kitted out with a full suite of weapons and gear to help them bring lawbreakers to justice. As the pursuit escalates, so does the equipment available. The trailer shows “Road Block”, “Spike Strip” and “Helicopter Support” in action, but you’ll also make use of many others as a Cop and a Racer!

Friends and Enemies

We want an online connection to transform the way you play. Big time. You see player IDs in the trailer, because online players are key to this Need for Speed – your friends are at the heart of the experience. All the action can be played online – meet up with friends to play as the cops, work together to escape the law or play against each other. A feature called “Autolog” tracks everything you do and uses that information to compare your performance with your friends and recommend new experiences to try. Autolog is also the perfect place to see news from the team and read or post comments and pictures – think of it as Facebook for the game. That’s all for now...we’ll update soon, so keep checking back for the very latest news straight from the team.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will be available on November 16, 2010 in North America and on November 18 and 19, 2010 in Europe on the Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3.

Criterion Games
E302.jpg

E303.jpg

E304.jpg
You can watch the trailer in the link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they put together that trailer they must not of realized that a Bugatti Veyron is faster than a Lamborghini.

Also, Underground 2 is still the best in the series for me and everything else will fail in comparison if they don't put the extensive tuning garage they had in that game in all of these new ones.

I hope Criterion are going to be one of the devs that makes a new NFS every other year. And since it's being made by Criterion, maybe a console NFS will finally run at 60fps :D

NFS III Hot Pursuit was my first into to the NFS series on my PC. I loved that game and can't wait to see it revamped, if it plays similar. I loved the physics, the cars, and the challenge. It had a great direction for an earlier racer.

However, I LOVED NFS: Porsche. I loved how you started with the first Porsches and worked you way up to the new (at the time) generations. I wish someone would use that same concept in a game again. I wouldn't even mind seeing Porsche done again, but I wouldn't mind seeing something else like Ferrari either!

This sure harkens back to the good ol' days when NFS was pretty much THE name when it came to racing games. . . I sure hope HP has some of the magic of the original HP games, but since its Criterion in charge this time around I think they'll do a great job!

looks awesome, and I can't wait, but I feel like the boost gets the car going too fast. I didn't like how the cop car would hit boost and within a few seconds he was past the other car already

This better bee good. Last NFS game I enjoyed was Most Wanted, Undercover was alright, but nothing has come close to MW in my opinion. I really have high hopes for this one.

I am so glad I have tomorrow off. I have super meat boy to start, costume quest to finish, and now, NFS MW2 Demo to play! I just wish I got in on the deal that included NFS Shift. Heard terrible things about it, but still want it to add to the collection. I have HATED the modern installments of NFS. Prostreet started out fun, but the drag racing was silly and the AI went from 0-60 in 2 levels. I found myself competitive one event and completely outclassed in the next.

Rarely does a game make me angry but this demo made me angry and I immediately deleted it. Seems only way you can play part of his demo is if someone on your friends list downloaded it and not one of mine did. fuck that shit.

I don't think it was a good demo for the game. Although I'm still getting the game, I don't think the demo does a good job at letting you feel the way the game will play. I played a straight up race and not one cop showed up. The 2nd race I was a cop and had to take the racers out...that was pretty kick ass, but I just hoped the collisions were better, specially with Criterion working on this.

BTW cheaphuck...there should have been one track open, the 2nd track opens if your friends download the game.

[quote name='cheaphuck']Rarely does a game make me angry but this demo made me angry and I immediately deleted it. Seems only way you can play part of his demo is if someone on your friends list downloaded it and not one of mine did. fuck that shit.[/QUOTE]

Be more popular

It is weird though that they did it that way. I wonder what the idea was behind it?

I'm buying the game though...pretty confident it'll be better than the demo.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Booo! Not for Silver Live status. Love me some Burnout, so I'm pretty interested.[/QUOTE]

Don't get your hopes up. The worst car in the Burnout franchise probably controls better than the shit offered up in this demo. It was awful.

[quote name='Corvin']Don't get your hopes up. The worst car in the Burnout franchise probably controls better than the shit offered up in this demo. It was awful.[/QUOTE]

I was so hyped up for this demo... but man did it let me down..

1) Why does it take so long to get into the demo only to have 3 minutes of actual gameplay???

2) Why lock half of the demo? why punish the player for not having friends who might not want to play this?

3) Why do the cars control like they all have flat tires? I was expecting the cars to handle the way they do in burnout... but these cars are sluggish and non responsive.

I sure hope this isn't an indication of the full game...

Kevin

What? I didn't have any issues with the control. They seemed to control like any other arcade racing game. Then again, I only played with the Nissan Z.

I don't know if you've played the early parts of Burnout Paradise, but the first cars you got there were also hard to control, though they felt light and the steering was loose. But you earned better cars that handled better and were more fun to drive. It should be no different here.

The steering here is different because these are real cars and have to control a bit more realistically, which feels similar to games like Blur that still tried to have an arcadey feel to them.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What? I didn't have any issues with the control. They seemed to control like any other arcade racing game. Then again, I only played with the Nissan Z.[/QUOTE]

Nah, this feels nothing like any other arcade racer I've ever played. You don't even need to use the brake in this game.

I was really excited for this, but the demo ruined it.

How the hell does DICE (Gods of Rallisport Challenge 2) and Criterion (Makers of that Burnout!) manage to put out such a MEH game? This is the shock of the year, and I hope the full version is much much better but I'm not betting money on it.

Something about the demo just didn't grab me like I thought it would. Control seems a little off, but not in a way I can explain. Crashes seem a little flat and I can't pit maneuver a racer or trap him against a wall. Instead I have to knock down his power meter? I love the PS2 Hot Pursuit where you do those things or whatever it takes to STOP him and then stop with him to make the arrest. Guess it is the burnout version though and I still had fun.

Anyway, early reviews are already coming out and everyone loves it so far. How are there at least four reviews for this on metacritic and one for Black Ops tonight?

Nothing has been as fun as Burnout III... still waiting for that magic again.

Demo felt flat, will borrow from my bro since I know he's getting it.

I had fun with the demo. I didn't really have a problem with the controls. I can't understand why everyone is overreacting to the demo. But I guess I didn't expect this game to be like Burnout. It didn't feel quite like the original Hot Pursuit either, and that is somewhat of a letdown. But I can't say that I didn't have fun with this demo.

To get past the annoying friend requirement to play the locked race, just start up the demo with any other gamertag (can be Silver/Free) on your console that's also been added to your friends list. I figure I can't be the only one with an extra guest gamertag on my console.

What seems unfortunate to me is the lack of local multiplayer. I had so many good times with local multiplayer on the original Hot Pursuit...

This is scoring 9+'s yet I don't know any of my friends who enjoyed the demo. I guess the full product is a lot better.

I can't wait as I got my copy coming from Amazon tuesday and so looking forward to starting this up...been playing the demo for tons of hours and now only 1 day finally till I get to fire this one up:D:D:D

Hit me up on Live it's buffalo29 and we can race....

I just canceled my Amazon order but I definitely will be picking up sometime this week. The demo's gameplay had me nervous at first but I think the game's going to be pretty good.

It's a definite buy for me, however, I'm gonna wait till BF and grab it for 34.99, lol, otherwise what would be the point of being a CAG.

[quote name='Corsico']I just canceled my Amazon order but I definitely will be picking up sometime this week. The demo's gameplay had me nervous at first but I think the game's going to be pretty good.[/QUOTE]

got the game yesterday the demo was pants it had sluggish steering and just wasnt enjoyable. the game is nuffin like the demo just completed cop career got the buggati varon not sure how it spelt but this game is 10 outa 10 a must buy

[quote name='buffalo']I can't wait as I got my copy coming from Amazon tuesday and so looking forward to starting this up...been playing the demo for tons of hours and now only 1 day finally till I get to fire this one up:D:D:D

Hit me up on Live it's buffalo29 and we can race....[/QUOTE]

yer will add you bro sacommander keep a eye out!

[quote name='buffalo']I can't wait as I got my copy coming from Amazon tuesday and so looking forward to starting this up...been playing the demo for tons of hours and now only 1 day finally till I get to fire this one up:D:D:D

Hit me up on Live it's buffalo29 and we can race....[/QUOTE]

dudue your freinds list is full

Yeah Nov 16 is almost here, can't wait! I enjoyed the demo and quite sadly own all the NFS titles haha (never got to play the orig Hot Pursuit though/started with NFSU).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Arkanos']It's a definite buy for me, however, I'm gonna wait till BF and grab it for 34.99, lol, otherwise what would be the point of being a CAG.[/QUOTE]Ditto that. I've got a $50 GC from MCR that I plan on using towards it on BF. Gonna pick up my GS preorder though just in case since it's paid for and that way if I miss out on BF I still got a copy and the LE at that. If I do score it on BF, I'll return my GS preorder and use that credit on Black Ops.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah Nov 16 is almost here, can't wait! I enjoyed the demo and quite sadly own all the NFS titles haha (never got to play the orig Hot Pursuit though/started with NFSU).[/QUOTE]You've missed out. The Hot Pursuit on PS2 (I think it's technically Hot Pursuit 2 and HP1 was on PSX) holds up fairly well. I've played it some recently just cause of the anticipation. Still a great game. I really liked High Stakes cops mode on the PSX. Really awesome.

Anybody get this at midnight and want to give some impressions? I just hope the controls are better than the demo. I'm already resigned to the fact that it's all about Burnout Takedowns instead of HP Pit manuevers for arrests.

[quote name='sacommander']dudue your freinds list is full[/QUOTE]

I'll drop someone and add you when I get on tonight after work to start playing it.

bread's done
Back