Need for Speed: Undercover - Wii impressions?

rjung

CAGiversary!
Does anyone have firsthand impressions for the Wii version of Need for Speed: Undercover? I'm feeling the itch for a quasi-realistic racer, and I miss the cop chases from NFS: Most Wanted, so this looks like a candidate. Unfortunately, most of the videos are from the XBox 360/PS3 versions, and I'd rather trust firsthand reports instead of reviews from gaming sites, but I haven't seen any of those yet. Anyone took the plunge on this one and want to confess? ;)

--R.J.

I rented it. I've only played it long enough for a few trys at a "quick race", and have 3 more days left on the rental. Here's my first impressions (I own NFS Carbon and NFS ProSteet for the Wii, and the NFS Undergound, Underground 2, Carbon, and Most Wanted for the PC):

• The intro videos seem much clearer than what I recall from previous versions on the Wii.
  • Game play graphics are not that great. It is difficult to see shortcuts. I had the same issue with Most Wanted. With the PC versions, the shortcuts are more obvious.
  • When you trade paint with the other cars, the marks remain for the entire race.
  • Don't like the single controller option for the controls, because the acceleration and braking is controlled by buttons 1 & 2. Going to try it with the Nunchuck option. Which is my preference in NFS Carbon.
I probably won't by the game for the Wii because of the graphics quality and controller options. Most likely, I'll buy the PC version. Which is also cheaper.

Logitech is supposed to have released a driving wheel for the Wii this month (I posted previously in this forum asking for info). I tried to find one locally, and didn't have any luck. If it works like other driving wheels, it may resolve the controller issue.

If you're looking for a somewhat realistic racing game, I would go for ProStreet. I played it as much on the Wii as I did the other NFS versions on my PC. Plus, you could pick it up used.

To be fair, I'll play it some more. If my opinion changes, I'll post an update. Hope this helps.

bread's done
Back