Need help ASAP (PS3 hdd related)

wealthyassgamer

CAGiversary!
So i'm selling my old 40GB PS3 and plan on getting a new PS3 Slim on Sept 1st.

here's the situation -
I have all my media stored on my ps3 hard drive and want to transfer it to my new PS3 Slim when I get it. I will be keeping the data stored on an external device until I get the slim.
What exactly does backing up do when I click it on the PS3's system settings? Is it backing up absolutely everything? (My media/gamesaves/demos d/l'd/dlc/messages/settings/etc)? All I really care about is my media and gamesaves/info - Don't mind re-downloading everything else if I have to.

here's the process I plan on taking -
1. Plug external device into ps3
2. Select back-up from the menu on the old ps3
3. When back-up is complete, wait for slim.
**4. Replace PS3 Slim's hd with an upgraded 320GB or 500GB Sata hard drive purchased online.
**5. Plug external device into new ps3 slim and transfer data.

**step 4 and 5 could be changed as I may buy a hdd to stick in my new PS3 slim and use that directly instead of just using an external to transfer. Will this also work? Can I stick the backed up data from the old ps3 directly into the new ps3?

I plan on buying a new hard drive either way.

I need to know before tommorow since I'm selling it tommorow and that's the only chance I can sell it.

You've got the general idea. The only 2 things that you need to consider are

1) System User IDs. Deactivating any accounts on your existing PS3 before retiring it.
2) The back-up does not include firmware updates, but (the slims will probably ship with current firmware though).

if you are replacing the standard HD on the slim then just put the firmware on a memory stick. when you turn on the ps3 slim for the first time with the new drive in it, it will ask for firmware.
besides that it sounds like you got it. Oh ya, sync your trophies with the server (triangle button) these do not get moved over with the backups.

how much time am I looking at to spend transferring files to the external?

I have used approx. 150GB of the 320GB on my ps3's hard drive. Most of it, i'm guessing is moves/media/etc but I also have a lot of demos that I'm going to delete now.

I really hope I can do the transfer in less than 4 hours because i'm on a serious time crunch when selling this tomorrow.

OKAY, things just took a turn for the worst... a buddy of mine who is supposed to supply me with a temporary hd to backup the files won't be able to give me the hd in time so now i have to use my laptop.

I'm looking up a partitioning program to use so I can split the hard drive in half (150gb available) so I can then stick it into my enclosure and use as the backup hd device. (i'm going to use partition magic by norton)

If this sounds likea bad idea please let me know so i don't screw up two things at once!!

I plan on deleting the backup from the laptop drive as soon as I transfer off of the drive to the permanent hd when i get it.

bread's done
Back