Need Help Building a Need PC

beetlegum

CAGiversary!
Well it's that time again. My PC just can't handle most of the latest PC games.

My last PC was custom built, and I will never go back to the manufactor's brands. I really want a new custom built without spending a fortune. I currently have an empty PC case so that's a start.

My biggest problem right now is I have not kept up with computer hardware for the last 4 years, and obviously, there have been so big changes. I've always used intel processors and motherboards so I would like to stick with this route. I am cluess as to which motherboard to buy. I found a cheap one on Frys.com, but after looking it up on motherboards.org, the board got awful reviews. I want a good board that can handle 3.5ghz processor or higher.
Surely, there is an easier way to make sense out of this. Any suggestions or good links to help me pick the right hardware?

Also, can anyone direct me to a good link or retailer that will custom build computers or a barebone system? I've never built a PC completely from stratch so the challenge is fun, but I also want to get going right away too.

i think someone here suggested buyxg.com for prebuild. If you use your existing DVD drive, keyboard and mouse you can save a bit. With processor you can't go wrong with core 2 duo, as thats the best cpu you can buy.

Well very much as change. Intel is again has the best processor, and unless you're looking to spend $1000, their processors are now like AMD's in that clock lower, no more of that 3 ghz+ nonsense just to have a big number.

BTW what's your budget? Plan on overclocking? Anything else besides the case you already have?

[quote name='Thongsy']Well very much as change. Intel is again has the best processor, and unless you're looking to spend $1000, their processors are now like AMD's in that clock lower, no more of that 3 ghz+ nonsense just to have a big number.

BTW what's your budget? Plan on overclocking? Anything else besides the case you already have?[/QUOTE]

My budget is between $500 - 700$. I don't need a new monitor. I have spare hard drive and WIndows XP to chip off some of the costs. I will need a new graphics card and RAM. I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. I just want a PC that can play games like Half Life 2 smoothly at 1024 resolution.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 + $100 Core 2 Duo compatible motherboard (your choice) + 2 GB DDR2 RAM (make sure it is compatible with your motherboard!) + Nvidia Geforce 7600GT PCI-Express = around $600, most likely less than

What you probably need are:

A good 500W+ power supply
- Something like this Antec SmartPower 500W will do. ($70)

At least a decent motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, MSI
- If I'm building a PC now, I would get the Asus P5B Deluxe. ($180)

Core 2 Duo CPU
- E6300. ($185)

A temporary graphic card for your HL2 need until DX10 cards get cheaper and when you play other new intensive games dedicatedly
- 7900 GS PCI-E. ($150)

1GB DDR2 memory
- Kingston/Crucial ($100)

Of course this is just an example setup you can get between $500 - $700. I wouldn't skim on the motherboard if you're doing an upgrade right now. The reason I choose that board is it has almost everything that most people use, and this board and the E6400 makes a great overclocking combo (if you ever want to overclock, that is). But even at stock, this will run your HL2 and many other new games at blazing speed.

Right now you're caught between the end of DX9 cards and the beginning of DX10 cards, so since you only want to play HL2 for now, I would get something cheaper but at the same time can handle many games well, and 7900GS makes a good entry card until you decide to move onto newer, more graphic intensive games.

I've got a thread going along the same lines; I'm looking into pre-build companies.

So far the most attractive seems to be CyberPower, which has a lot of flexibility with each component, from low to high end. The prices are very reasonable (not as cheap as building yourself but very close to it), and they put themselves out as dedicated customer servers.

Worth a look: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Be careful with Cyberpower and iBuyPower... check reseller ratings and you'll see a good number of stories about poor customer service and whatnot.

Just build your own, it only take a few hours and you know you'll get the manufacturer's full warranties for each item.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']What you probably need are:

A good 500W+ power supply
- Something like this Antec SmartPower 500W will do. ($70)

At least a decent motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, MSI
- If I'm building a PC now, I would get the Asus P5B Deluxe. ($180)

Core 2 Duo CPU
- E6300. ($185)

A temporary graphic card for your HL2 need until DX10 cards get cheaper and when you play other new intensive games dedicatedly
- 7900 GS PCI-E. ($150)

1GB DDR2 memory
- Kingston/Crucial ($100)

Of course this is just an example setup you can get between $500 - $700. I wouldn't skim on the motherboard if you're doing an upgrade right now. The reason I choose that board is it has almost everything that most people use, and this board and the E6400 makes a great overclocking combo (if you ever want to overclock, that is). But even at stock, this will run your HL2 and many other new games at blazing speed.

Right now you're caught between the end of DX9 cards and the beginning of DX10 cards, so since you only want to play HL2 for now, I would get something cheaper but at the same time can handle many games well, and 7900GS makes a good entry card until you decide to move onto newer, more graphic intensive games.[/QUOTE]
he probably won't have to spend $150 on a graphics card to run HL2 tho...I mean DX10 is due soon...I would suggest spend more money on RAM...since that's not going to the trash anytime soon....

If you go to Outpost.com they're selling an Ultra 500 W power supply for $40 with a $40 rebate, which is what I purchased. You really can't beat free and the if you register the power supply on Ultra's website you upgrade to a lifetime warranty. They have a case too which I needed but you're set there. In addition, Newegg was selling a 7600 GT from BFG (lifetime warranty) for $143 with a $65 rebate so takes it under $90 which isn't so bad for a GT.

[quote name='seththefallen']If you go to Outpost.com they're selling an Ultra 500 W power supply for $40 with a $40 rebate, which is what I purchased. You really can't beat free and the if you register the power supply on Ultra's website you upgrade to a lifetime warranty. They have a case too which I needed but you're set there. In addition, Newegg was selling a 7600 GT from BFG (lifetime warranty) for $143 with a $65 rebate so takes it under $90 which isn't so bad for a GT.[/QUOTE]

I picked up one of the ultra ps a couple of months back. Some are great, and some are crap. I think the x-finitys were the better ones and the v seires were shit. Reasearch it out at places like anandtech or hardforums.

btw, I saw the other day outpost had a modular 650w raidmax for $40 after a $40 rebate.

bread's done
Back