Need help buying a video game shelving unit!

infamy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I figured I'd ask here since most of us are, well, collectors and/or own a ton of video games. I'm looking for a shelving unit that can hold at least 200 games, nothing to big or bulky but something to showcase my games nicely. It's been so hard finding anything on the internet and my trip to IKEA didn't help, neither.

Anyone have any advice or been in a similar position? Help appreciated!

Depending on your abilities, you can build one to fit exactly where you want, with whatever desired width and height, for around $30-$50. Just get some 2x6's at your local HomeDepot/Lowe's, a little can of wood stain and get to building. I've built several of them over the years and I love it since I can build them to house all variety of case sizes without wasting space (you know exactly how many you need to fit and where the shelf will go).

[quote name='Warner1281']Depending on your abilities, you can build one to fit exactly where you want, with whatever desired width and height, for around $30-$50. Just get some 2x6's at your local HomeDepot/Lowe's, a little can of wood stain and get to building. I've built several of them over the years and I love it since I can build them to house all variety of case sizes without wasting space (you know exactly how many you need to fit and where the shelf will go).[/QUOTE]

Any chance you could take some pictures of what you built? I'm looking for inspiration for a similar project.

This is a design I came up with a few years ago because I got tired of wasting space with bookshelves and small little media shelves from Wal-Mart.
shelfdesign.jpg

Normal game/movie cases are 5.25" across, so using a 6" board gives you the perfect depth to have them sit practically flush on the shelf. And with the board being only 1" (as opposed to the 2" suggested above), you've got less space being wasted between shelves. 1" may not seem like it would be very strong, but it's thicker than most shelves you'll see in any store.

1x6 boards aren't as common though. They're basically deck boards, so that's where you'd need to look. As for the shelf's height, obviously, you can change it based on your needs. This was basically for a floor to ceiling set up (which you'd probably want to anchor to the wall...also, make sure your ceiling allows clearance for an 8' board...you may have to trim it an inch or two shorter depending on your carpet).

For the width, I've got 6' long boards cut in half, but really, you could just stick with all 8' and cut them into thirds (8' = 96", 96 / 3 = 32) and only lose about 4". I thought 8.5" space between the top of one shelf and the bottom of the next was pretty good since standard dvd/xbox cases are 7.2 inches tall...which gives you a little extra room for any collector's editions an abnormal cases you may have.

That's pretty much it. Before this, I had a crappy $30 bookshelf from Wal-Mart, which held things fine, but it was much deeper than necessary. So, movies were getting stacked in front of and on top of each other, and it was just horrible to try to look through. This shelf only sticks out 6" from the wall, and can hold over 800 games/movies if you go with the 8' design. Much more efficient! :)

This is a design I came up with a few years ago because I got tired of wasting space with bookshelves and small little media shelves from Wal-Mart.
shelfdesign.jpg

Normal game/movie cases are 5.25" across, so using a 6" board gives you the perfect depth to have them sit practically flush on the shelf. And with the board being only 1"...which is actually 0.75" (yay lumber standards! :dunce:)...as opposed to the 2" suggested above, you've got less space being wasted between shelves. 0.75" may not seem like it would be very strong, but it's thicker than most shelves you'll see in any store.

1x6 boards aren't as common though. They're basically deck boards, so that's where you'd need to look. As for the shelf's height, obviously, you can change it based on your needs. This was basically for a floor to ceiling set up (which you'd probably want to anchor to the wall...also, make sure your ceiling allows clearance for an 8' board...you may have to trim it an inch or two shorter depending on your carpet).

For the width, I've got 6' long boards cut in half, but really, you could just stick with all 8' and cut them into thirds (8' = 96", 96 / 3 = 32) and only lose about 4". I thought 8.75" space between the top of one shelf and the bottom of the next was pretty good since standard dvd/xbox cases are 7.2 inches tall...which gives you a little extra room for any collector's editions an abnormal cases you may have.

That's pretty much it. Before this, I had a crappy $30 bookshelf from Wal-Mart, which held things fine, but it was much deeper than necessary. So, movies were getting stacked in front of and on top of each other, and it was just horrible to try to look through. This shelf only sticks out 6" from the wall, and can hold over 800 games/movies if you go with the 8' design. Much more efficient! :)

Awesome input, guys. Can you take pics of your work?

I think it may be hard for me to do something similar since I'm not only real busy most of the time, but I'm not handy with building things. :p

Sucks that it's so hard to find something to buy straight out; you'd think it'll be easy to capatalize on considering all the DVD and video game collector's out there.

[quote name='infamy']Awesome input, guys. Can you take pics of your work?

I think it may be hard for me to do something similar since I'm not only real busy most of the time, but I'm not handy with building things. :p

Sucks that it's so hard to find something to buy straight out; you'd think it'll be easy to capatalize on considering all the DVD and video game collector's out there.[/QUOTE]

The units are out there. You just don't get near as much for what you pay. As far as cost effectiveness goes, this is probably the best you will do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Atlanti...081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231d3e7de1

It can only hold 150 games, and it's a bit of an eyesore, but it's under $50. It's just like anything in life (computers, cars, etc), if you're not able to do the work yourself, you will pay more.

This one holds 228, but is about twice as much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlantic-Ma...ideo_Racks&hash=item3376abb583#ht_3301wt_1031

I'll add another vote for "build your own."
After buying five ~$30-50 bookshelf units over the years, I'm completely set on building my own game storage unit once I get my own place. All these bookshelves were great at the time, but over the years, the cheap wood has bent all the shelves, causing minor damage to my manga collection on top of being ugly as hell.

My constantly growing collection means that I'll always be needing to buy new units...so it's inevitable that I'll buy mismatched pairs due to sales/stock (out of the 5 I own, only 2 are identical...and the other three are WAY too deep for DVD/game cases). So when I do build my own units, I'll be able to make identical ones whenever I want to whatever size...and be able to easily match my furniture and complement whatever space is available.
If you don't have a large collection, a cheap unit will do just fine. But if you're anything like me, you'll quickly find yourself needing more space.

I'll see if I can take a picture. I'll post it tonight if I remember.

edit: I built mine almost exactly to the specs n8rockerasu listed, but just to different width and height specs. I actually did use 1x6, I just forgot that. I stained the wood before putting it all together so it would look better than just plain pine wood.

bread's done
Back