need help choosing an HDTV

yummytyson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Dont have the kind of money for Sharp, or Aquos. So Vizio is the best company out of the hdtv's i've posted up? is Insignia any good?

Yes. ( NOT aimed at " is insignia good ") I'd say Vizio and Olevia are your best bets if you're really dead set on a budget TV.

A 42 inch Vizio is avaliable for 1000 dollars. You tell me if it's worth it. If you can afford it and it fits in your room ( and the size works from where you sit at) I say bigger is better. Don't even worry about 1080p, not even in your budget at this point Plus you'll probably use 720p the most, so why not have it on a native 720p display?

i'm been looking for a similar tv. vizio and olevia definitely seem to be the way to go; personally i've decided to wait until i can afford a samsung plasma, as the different has been noticeable for me.

I've only had bad experiences with Olevia. First time around, it was my own fault for buying a plasma to play games on (can you say HORRENDOUS delay?). Despite plasma being crappy, it still managed to 'explode' one day, and the return process was at my expense despite only owning it for a few months with warranty.

I'd suggest anything but Olevia :p

[quote name='kuri']I've only had bad experiences with Olevia. First time around, it was my own fault for buying a plasma to play games on (can you say HORRENDOUS delay?). Despite plasma being crappy, it still managed to 'explode' one day, and the return process was at my expense despite only owning it for a few months with warranty.

I'd suggest anything but Olevia :p[/quote]

When did Olevia make plasmas? Also When was gaming on a plasma bad they work a lot like a CRT no lag.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']When did Olevia make plasmas? Also When was gaming on a plasma bad they work a lot like a CRT no lag.[/quote]
Beats me. We had the TVs in a LAN center, actually, and I know for a fact they were 37" Olevia flatscreen plasma TVs.

Basically, no matter what A/V cords we tried (went from RCA to component and all different kinds of brands), there was a very noticable .2-.5sec lag. As anyone who plays Halo or any other twitch game can attest to, this'll kill you.

Note, this was only for the original XBOX (and I believe we had similar issues for the Wii as well). XBOX 360 worked fine. Wasn't able to test any Sony products on the TV.

Maybe it was just our bad decision trying to play XBOX on the TVs.

[quote name='yummytyson']well, thanks for the help everyone, i think we're going to buy a vizio.[/quote]

Good to hear! Let us know how Vizio treats you. I'm looking into getting one myself.

i bought an 32" Insignia LCD HDTV not too long ago with the 4-year warranty for $650 from BB. everything looks great with no problems. and if there are any problems, just take it right back to BB.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']When did Olevia make plasmas? Also When was gaming on a plasma bad they work a lot like a CRT no lag.[/quote]

Very true.

Plasma, LCD, DLP...makes no difference what kind...if you're using a TV for gaming you need to find one with at least an 8ms refresh rate.

HDTVs for gaming, it's all about the refresh rate. Those Olevia's probably just had a slower one than what is needed to play a game like Halo. Although, if it worked fine on a 360...well, I'm out of ideas.

[quote name='DoomxPatrol']Very true.

Plasma, LCD, DLP...makes no difference what kind...if you're using a TV for gaming you need to find one with at least an 8ms refresh rate.

HDTVs for gaming, it's all about the refresh rate. Those Olevia's probably just had a slower one than what is needed to play a game like Halo. Although, if it worked fine on a 360...well, I'm out of ideas.[/quote]

Yeah any TV can lag it's just a rare thing on a plasmas, in the early days of plasma the big issue was burn in with a static image like a life bar.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd vote for saving your money for a while, but then, I'm an elitist prick. And I like it.[/QUOTE]

But you're rightfully an elitist prick in this case.:lol:

OP, you (or your sister) are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a TV you might as well get a quality brand.

Ok OP. For starters, if you havne't bought the Vizio yet, you can find samsungs and sharps in the 800 dollar price range. There's a 37' Aquos at newegg that will cost you probably 1200 after everything. If you have bought Vizio already and you like it, then forget it. Usually people look to save money on a TV and end up buying better brands with no regrets.

The reason that I didn't even bring that up is becuase you've made threads about HDTVs before and you seemed pretty deadset on a budget TV.

Maybe that wasn't you and it was the other Calvin avatar guy....

I own a 37'' VX37L Vizio myself, pretty happy with it. The price has dropped once or twice in the two months since I bought it too >.< It was $800, it was at least down to $769 last I checked at my local BJ's.

bread's done
Back