Need help... clogged drain. EDIT: unclogged!

Swift900

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey guys, my dirty, dumbass roommates decided they were going to make breakfast sandwiches this morning. We'll they decided that pouring all the bacon grease down the sink would be a good idea. Needless to say the bitch is clogged now and they are unsure as to what to do. What advice can I give them?

EDIT: None of my roommates or neighbors had Drano, so instead of going out and buying a bottle, they decided to unattach the pipe from underneath the sink. For once, a good decision on their part. Luckily, the piping was relatively new and "user friendly". So they did their thing, pulled the pipe off and found the bacon grease + the handle to a piece of disposable silverware.

I'm sorry this story is not more entertaining, yet at the same time, I'm relieved it's not because this is the place I have to live for the following 3 months or so. Anyways, thanks again for the advice.

Boil some water and drop it down the drain while running the hot water from the faucet.

The maybe follow up with a drain cleaner.

From now on, drop that shit in a coffee can.

[quote name='Swift900'] Needless to say the bitch is clogged now and they are unsure as to what to do. [/QUOTE]

Flowers, and possibly chocolate.

Seriously, never pour grease down a drain. Never. It solidifies after cooling and will cause a massive clog. The best options are to either store it for later use (frying stuff later on), or taking it outside and dumping it on some flora (as it will breakdown and be absorbed, so you get to pat yourself on the back by being nice to the environment).

You're only option is to try a commercial product. Rasen said Drano. If that doesn't work, try Liquid Plumber. Might want to try one of those "foaming snake" (hehe, foaming snake) ones that is meant to dissolve things on all sides of the pipe.

If that doesn't work....well, you either call someone out there or you take it apart yourself. Neither of which are fun.

Note: I'm going to laugh my ass off if this thread were to somehow become a Drano vs Liduid Plumber fanboy shouting match. And then I will weep.

pour boiling hot water down the drain a few times that will turn the oil back to liquid. never put grease into a drain but if youre goign to do so with boiling hot water with it. and id also give it a draino chaser to loosen up anything else.

Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I had already known never to pour grease down a drain, but I was shopping at the time and did not have the opportunity to warn my roommates.

FYI, they let the sink fill up 8/10 of the way before they decided it might be clogged... I'm sure the Drano usage instructions will address this, but will they have to empty out the water already in the sink?

Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted on how this situation plays out.

If need be, they can straiten a hanger and push it into the drain and wobble it around until the water drains slowly.

[quote name='Swift900']Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I had already known never to pour grease down a drain, but I was shopping at the time and did not have the opportunity to warn my roommates.

FYI, they let the sink fill up 8/10 of the way before they decided it might be clogged... I'm sure the Drano usage instructions will address this, but will they have to empty out the water already in the sink?

Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted on how this situation plays out.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']If need be, they can straiten a hanger and push it into the drain and wobble it around until the water drains slowly.[/QUOTE]

How dare you! What about the pro-drain people, huh? Did you think of their feelings?

No, of course not, you coathanger devil you.

[quote name='Swift900']Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I had already known never to pour grease down a drain, but I was shopping at the time and did not have the opportunity to warn my roommates.

Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted on how this situation plays out.[/quote]

If memory serves correct, Drano is denser than water and will work its way down.

[quote name='Strell']I'm going to laugh my ass off if this thread were to somehow become a Drano vs Liduid Plumber fanboy shouting match. And then I will weep.[/QUOTE] LIQUID PLUMR FTW!!!!

First off SCREW DRAINO. I tried it on a clog recently (after many boiling water attempts failed) and it seemed to make it worse! dunno how that happened but....

FIRST try boiling water. I discovered that trick on accident and its worked many times for me.

IF that doesnt work try a plunger. Thats what my friend told me to use when the draino failed me. It completely killed the clog i had.

Unclogged!

None of my roommates or neighbors had Drano, so instead of going out and buying a bottle, they decided to unattach the pipe from underneath the sink. For once, a good decision on their part. Luckily, the piping was relatively new and "user friendly". So they did their thing, pulled the pipe off and found the bacon grease + the handle to a piece of disposable silverware.

I'm sorry this story is not more entertaining, yet at the same time, I'm relieved it's not because this is the place I have to live for the following 3 months or so. Anyways, thanks again for the advice.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

I'd still recommend getting a bottle of drano next time you're out at the store. Then when one of your roommates does this again, punch 'em in the eye and make 'em drink it.

bread's done
Back