Need Help Deciding on a PS3 or Xbox360

momouchi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I have decided that I will soon be able to purchase either a PS3 or Xbox 360. Currently I mostly play on my PS2, Wii, and DS. I have decided to looking into getting a system that has a lot of the games that have not been released on the Wii. The graphical differences between the two systems doesn't really bother me, so that isn't a deciding factor. I haven't really been into online play that much so I probably won't get the Gold Live account. How does PS3's online system compare to Live? I'm just looking for people's opinions on systems and what pros or cons they see. Also give some opinions on what you think the best exclusives are for each one and also what some of your favorite games are for the systems. Thanks a lot for your input, hopefully this won't dissolve into a fanboygasm.

I would suggest a PS3. I think the 360 revolves more around multiplayer, so you wouldn't be getting the most out of your system. I would suggest getting Demon's Souls, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted 2 for starters.

Yeah, if you aren't doing online, I'd say get the PS3. The 360's online stuff destroys the PS3's, but the PS3 has more good single-player exclusives.

Best PS3 exclusives - MGS4, Demon's Souls (Heard very good things about Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2)
Best 360 exclusives - Alan Wake, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect (Heard very good things about Halo: Reach)

Games you should buy for either system - Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum

PS3 has the better online system, no contest there. Live just wants to charge you money to view ads. As many reasons as there are to PS3 over the 360 you need to be aware that Sony likes to update often and rarely is it worthwhile. Put it this way, both companies make many mistakes but PS3 makes less. That's the only way to put it without typing an essay. It's cheaper in the long run and that's always a plus. Oh but don't pay for PSN+, that's a scam too.

Definitely PS3. Especially if online isn't big to you. There really isn't much difference between PSN and Live aside from one or two features honestly, besides the fact you're paying for Live. A few years ago you could argue Live was worth it, but not anymore. So in your case when you want to play online you just can, won't need to worry about paying for a month or whatever.

If you have an HDTV, I'd go with the PS3 for the free access to Netflix and Blu-ray. Also, the PS3 has more games and they're better (IMO).

Thanks for the responses. I think this finally pushed me toward the PS3. I've been leaning toward it for a while, but I just couldn't decide. Just wondering what are some common problems people run in to with either the controllers or the system? I haven't heard anything on the level of the 360, but does the PS3 have its fair share of hardware problems?

Do you own a blu-ray player yet? If not, that might help you decide. The PS3 is an excellent blu-ray player. Plus, it can decode the highest audio codecs out right now (in layman's terms, that means it will do all the work so you can hook it up to a very basic surround sound system and still get amazing audio).

When I bought mine the built-in wifi was a huge bonus, too, but Xbox finally caught up in that department.

For the choice of games, and for hardware reliability, I bought a PS3. You need to take a good look at the game library for each. With the respective parent companies being Japanese and American, that colors their core game lineup. Xbox is more FPS/sports, and PS3 is more role-play/adventure. Good exclusives include LittleBigPlanet 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles (my favorite PS3 game), Infamous 1 and 2, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 1 and 2, Ratchet and Clank, 3D Dot Game Heroes, God of War III, and Modnation Racers.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new system!

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, if you aren't doing online, I'd say get the PS3. The 360's online stuff destroys the PS3's, but the PS3 has more good single-player exclusives.

Best PS3 exclusives - MGS4, Demon's Souls (Heard very good things about Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2)
Best 360 exclusives - Alan Wake, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect (Heard very good things about Halo: Reach)

Games you should buy for either system - Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say XBL destroys PSN, only a little bit better, but you gotta pay a price to play multi-player unlike PSN.

For the OP, I can see by the avatar and description alone they should go with a PS3. PS3 has the best exclusives IMO, will be getting the bulk of console NIS America support, has great single player games, great build quality, etc.
[quote name='momouchi']Thanks for the responses. I think this finally pushed me toward the PS3. I've been leaning toward it for a while, but I just couldn't decide. Just wondering what are some common problems people run in to with either the controllers or the system? I haven't heard anything on the level of the 360, but does the PS3 have its fair share of hardware problems?[/QUOTE]
Just avoid a 60GB and 80GB with 4 USB ports. Those are the SKUs with the most issues. Going with a slim or even an 80GB fat (w/ 2 USB ports) should be fine.

[quote name='momouchi']Thanks for the responses. I think this finally pushed me toward the PS3. I've been leaning toward it for a while, but I just couldn't decide. Just wondering what are some common problems people run in to with either the controllers or the system? I haven't heard anything on the level of the 360, but does the PS3 have its fair share of hardware problems?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother with the movies, but whatever. To answer the Q the slim models seem to be pretty good. The older ones had some issues if you didn't take care to keep it clean. Like the 360 it would overheat but nowhere near the record numbers of the 360. The controller is great, there's a reason it's still being used and is the most copied for other 3rd party pads.

Get yourself a PSEye. It's better and clearer than a headset, plus you can videochat with friends if they also have a camera. If you play RB or plan to keep things plugged in you may want to invest in a small USB hub as the slim only has 2 ports. Other than that you'll be ready to go.

I had a launch system until November 2010 and I had no problems with it. My new PlayStation 3 runs great and I've had no problems with it either. I think my launch Xbox 360 died about 4 times. My new Slim seems fine, but we'll see.

I also had no problems with my original SIXAXIS (until my dog ate it), my imported Dual Shock 3 or any other of my controllers. The Xbox 360 controller works fine too. If you like your PlayStation 2 controller, the DualShock 3 is pretty much that except it's wireless. However, the usb cable that comes with the system is kinda short so you might want to buy a longer one from monoprice.

If you don't care about online and have a Prinny avatar, I think I can safely say that the PlayStation 3 will probably better suits your needs. Just be sure to get one during one of those free $50 gift card sales.
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160-GB/dp/B003VUO6H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297642594&sr=8-1

[quote name='momouchi']Just wondering what are some common problems people run in to with either the controllers or the system? I haven't heard anything on the level of the 360, but does the PS3 have its fair share of hardware problems?[/QUOTE]

Not really. I think at it's worst the 360 had something like 50% failure rate due to the defective design. The PS3 numbers have always been negligible. It also doesn't scratch discs like the 360. And blu-rays are much sturdier; I've never had one fail.

Dualshock controllers are pricey but worth it. They hold a charge for a really long time and are a breeze to set up due to the built-in blue tooth.

If I had one big complaint about the PS3, and I guess it's actually more of an annoyance, its that you can't change the menu font. Which makes like 90% of the available backgrounds useless because they wash out the font. Why Sony hasn't allowed a font with an outline or something similar is beyond me.

If you will game a lot, I'd get a charging stand for your controllers. I like the Energizer stand because it's solidly built and looks cool. Also buy a blu-ray remote if you plan on using it as a player. You can use a dualshock as a controller, but it's not as easy to use and it will drain the battery. Nothing else is critical.

If you find a bundle with a Move included, it might be worth a look. You obviously enjoy your Wii, and the Move is more than just better graphics. You can move in 3 dimensions, and the precision is much higher.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I wouldn't say XBL destroys PSN, only a little bit better, but you gotta pay a price to play multi-player unlike PSN.

For the OP, I can see by the avatar and description alone they should go with a PS3. PS3 has the best exclusives IMO, will be getting the bulk of console NIS America support, has great single player games, great build quality, etc.

Just avoid a 60GB and 80GB with 4 USB ports. Those are the SKUs with the most issues. Going with a slim or even an 80GB fat (w/ 2 USB ports) should be fine.[/QUOTE]

80gb 2 usb phats die too i bought one from somone that was dead. in the end the op should avoid the older model consoles and just get a slim theres plenty of deals on them where you can get gift cards, psn cards or games.

[quote name='lokizz']80gb 2 usb phats die too i bought one from somone that was dead. in the end the op should avoid the older model consoles and just get a slim theres plenty of deals on them where you can get gift cards, psn cards or games.[/QUOTE]Buying from someone is partially how it could happen (you never know, someone could have poured soda inside of it, never dusted it, treated it badly, etc.....I'd never buy a used PS3 personally).

I'm not too sure about the Move yet. I will probably hold off on getting it until it has been in the market for a little bit and more games come out for it. Also it takes away most of the money I alloted for games and accessories.

[quote name='momouchi']I'm not too sure about the Move yet. I will probably hold off on getting it until it has been in the market for a little bit and more games come out for it. Also it takes away most of the money I alloted for games and accessories.[/QUOTE]
It's best to wait when there are more games you want and you have the money saved up. Best to just concentrate on getting a few games you want now, then eventually you can get one. :D

I completely understand how big of an investment a game console is, but once you make it everything becomes easier.

Both are great choices, but if you're not too serious about online play then you won't miss the minuscule features that PSN lacks. The store is great, online games play fine, community is just as healthy -- and it's free which really is nice.

Blu-ray is big, I wasn't a big movie guy before getting a PS3 but the blu-ray player inevitably changed that. And honestly, in terms of games, I just don't see upcoming 360 exclusives that are going to outshine Uncharted 3 or Last Guardian -- and XIII Versus assuming it stays PS3 exclusive.

So unless you're really craving Alan Wake or Fable, I think PS3 is the way to go.

momouchi,

Based on your preferences I'd recommend a PS3 like many others already have.

And I'm a '360 is my main console' guy, so you know Im not a fanboy *cough* LottaGames *cough*

The 360 is better for online and especially if you are a fan of shooters, but that doesnt seem to be where your interests lie, so definitely go for the PS3.

Also, I highly recommend you get the new slim version of the console. It consumes much less power and that leads to lower electric bills. It's quieter and more reliable too.

btw, I bought a PS3 primarily to play Disgaea 3. Just dont expect next gen graphics, the game easily could have been released on the PS2. It's still tons of fun though.

Some other PS3 exclusives that you may be interested in:

- Valkyria Chronicles (another game I couldnt wait to get a PS3 so I could play it)
- Demons Souls
- Katamari Forever
- Little Big Planet 1/2

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sounds like PS3 is more inline with your interest.

Bascially, if you need a Blu-ray player, then thats a nice advantage for the PS3. Though much less than in the past now that stand alone players are much cheaper.

If not, it comes down to games. If you're more into the Sony exclusives (Uncharted, Resistance, GT, Little Big Planet etc.) and Japanese developed games, then Sony is the way to go.

If you're more into the MS exclusives (Halo, Gears of War, Mass Effect--2nd coming to PS3 finally, but first isn't) and more into western developed games--particularly shooters and WRPGs, the the 360 is a better fit.

Beyond that it comes down to controller preference, whether you're willing to pay for online gaming, netflix etc. with a Gold account on the 360 if you're into those things etc.

I'm a 360 owner personally, as I mainly play FPS and WRPGs and seldom care for any Japanese developed games anymore. Already have a stand alone Blu-ray player and don't game enough anymore to justify owning more than one console, so the 360 will be it for me this generation.

Thanks guys, I've officially decided on the PS3, and I think I'll be watching the Warehouse deals threads for any cheap ones. That or I'll just wait for a deal to catch my eye.

bread's done
Back