Need help deciding on an Mp3 player.

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I am debating between two color screen mp3 players. They are the Zen micro photo and Philips go gear HDD6330. Here is a link to them

Zen
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14107

Philips
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000620056959/

The msrp for the Zen is $250 for 8 GB and the msrp for the Philips is $300 for 30 GB. These are just rumored since neither has a set release date but more than likely are coming out in October. I was really looking forward to the Zen micro photo but the extra $50 for 22 more GB is really tempting. Any help would be appreciated or any other mp3 players (no iPods). Thanks for your time.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']any idea when the next gen of ipods is coming also. I dont want to buy one then next week there is a new ipod coming out.[/QUOTE]

Good question. Although there probably won't be any new product announcements for a couple of months (they did just release the iTunes phone and iPod nano), I suspect that a new iPod will be released sometime within the next few months. It's something that has to happen, in order to keep the product line fresh.

[quote name='Gregory Kimball']iPods have fewer features than their competitors, yet cost as much or even more. But they receive more attention than all other DAPs combined. Overpriced and overhyped.

[/QUOTE]

IMO, features aren't just tangible items one can tick off. The ease of use of the iPod and the integration with iTunes are worth more than an FM radio and recording. Along with size and look. Good design isn't free.

Rechargable Batteries can go either way as a plus and minus.

They generally cost as much or less than similar quality mp3 players.

The nanos are expensive but so is flash memory.

so ignorance is correct.

Creative Zen Micro!

I do agree that Ipods are overrated. I'm walking around campus and everyone's carrying one of these ugly things. There are other MP3 players that are just as good, if not better.

[quote name='iflabs']Creative Zen Micro!

I do agree that Ipods are overrated. I'm walking around campus and everyone's carrying one of these ugly things. There are other MP3 players that are just as good, if not better.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are better players out there. Iriver. This can't be repeated often enough. Iriver. Say it with me. Iriver.

After MUCH research when purchasing my player - the clear choice was the iriver.
First off, my iriver h320 has had the ability to view pictures since long before the ipod photo came out, in full color I might add. Add to that the fact that I can record directly to mp3 with either a line in or built in condensor mic....or off the built in FM tuner I might add...the damn thing reads txt files and .oggs as well (the superior audio format for those counting). But here's the REAL kicker. You can take all those other players and throw them in the shitcan, because here's the iriver coup - you connect the iriver to any pc with a usb port running xp, and it's instantly recognized as an external HD. No bullshit "sync" software, no proprietary crap - just an instant drive. Trust me, this can make all the difference in the world. You can take it anywhere and use it to swap files/music without having any extra crap involved - just plug and drag. Hell, you can play directories right off it using Winamp! Lets not forget the 10 hours a charge battery time, or the fact that it comes with a surprisingly good sounding set of Seinheisser(!) earbuds, and a nice soft leather case all for a sub $300 price point, and you've got a clear winner. Take in account that that price point was in January too, and they have since released even better designed and sexier models since then. Trust me. Iriver. I use mine RELIGIOUSLY, and DAILY, it has NEVER LET ME DOWN. I scoff at you ipod users. You truly are brainwashed. :p

See, i got the iriver for all those features but i never use any of them. I just want a mp3 player for my music. I love the scroll wheel and god dammit im tired of trying to explain why i dont have an ipod to my friends. I know its not up to them but its just a big god dam deal to them making fun of my h120 even though i know its better. Ill b picking up my ipod on release day and im jsut counting the days til i have to start using stupid itunes.

[quote name='usickenme']IMO, features aren't just tangible items one can tick off. The ease of use of the iPod and the integration with iTunes are worth more than an FM radio and recording. Along with size and look. Good design isn't free.

Rechargable Batteries can go either way as a plus and minus.

They generally cost as much or less than similar quality mp3 players.

The nanos are expensive but so is flash memory.

so ignorance is correct.[/QUOTE]

First off, your not really compairing apples with apples and oranges with oranges. All four of those things are completely different from each other. I don't think you can really say mines better because mine is intigrated with itunes and yours only records.

[Ease of Use]
I would say that this is the only aspect of the ipod that is pretty good. Although I think it also because the iPod has the least amount of features in it, so there's not much to learn on the iPod.

[iTunes]
iTunes I don't think is a feature. What I don't like about ipods is that you have to use iTunes with them to put your music on them. I don't like being forced in using a specific program to put music on my mp3 player. Most of all programs usually limit what you can put on your player (drm'd aac files) and when you can take your music back off. I like using any program I want to rip my music and not needing any software to put my music on my mp3 player (like iriver and iaudio).

I think buying albums isn't a good idea either. Why buy albums that are drm'd aac files at low 128 bitrate when you can buy the actual CD for the same price (or cheaper if you buy used).
- First cd's are, duh, cd quality.
- Second I can rip my cd into any format and any bitrate that I want (mp3, ogg, aac, flac, the list goes on) and play it on any mp3 player that I want; not just ipods. Plus cd's play on even old fashon cd players.
- And third when you buy the cd, you get the disc (which I use for backup), jewel case and a booklet. With itunes you just get the drm'd aac files.

[Size]
I think as long as you can stick the player in your pocket that's small enough. I'd still rather have more memory rather having a 1 gig credit card size mp3 player. I'd say I'd need at least 30 gigs (which is the bear minimum). But I would be a lot happier with 40 or 60 gigs. This is to me where more is always better.

[Looks]
This section is really a matter of opinion. Some people like the way ipods look. Some don't. So I'm not going to commet here.

[Cost]
Where you say ipods cost just as much or less, I just visited newegg.com and looked at few 20 gig mp3 players. And here's what I found (from cheapest to most expensive):

Archos Silver 20GB Pocket Music Player Model Gmini XS200 - $189.95
Creative White 20GB MP3 player Model Zen Touch 20GB - $206.99
Toshiba gigabeat Silver Acrylic 20GB MP3 Player Model MEGF20S - $249.99
iRiver Remix Blue 20GB Portable MP3 Player w/ 1.8" Vivid Color Display Model H10 - $269.99
Archos Silver 20GB Pocket Multimedia Center Model Gmini 402 - $289.99
Apple 20G iPod w/ Color Display Model MA079LL/A - $296.99
JetAudio iAudio X5 Black 20GB USB 2.0 Portable MPEG4 Player Model X5-20BL - $299.99

So it looks like to me cost of an ipod is as much or more than the rest.

i'd like to throw in a positive opinion for the x5, got the 30g from ecost when it was onsale for $300 and i really enjoy it. Sound quality is on par with ipods (maybe a little better from headphones/maybe a little worse lineout), build quality is high and files can be easily loaded (same as the iriver instant sync).
The negatives are the subpack is needed for recharging and for usb 2.0 file transfer (usb 1.1 on the dap itself), the video playback is easy to convert using their provided software but quality is nothing great and joystick navi system (i like it, but if you want the wheel look elsewhere).
What I really love about the x5 (and cowon) is the stream of firmware updates, adding all kinds of handy features and really responding to consumer feedback on what they want. Plus it plays flac and ogg vorbis and gets a solid 14hrs/charge.

k i guess i'll post my reason now:
If you were to buy a car would you buy a toyota pick up or a bmw z3?
Now replace the words toyota pickup with other mp3 players and bmw z3 with ipod.
It simply doinates the subject. I've also had great support for mine (without purchasing an extra warranty) even when I tried to install linux on it :D (4th gen btw)

I have been looking at several MP3 players and finally decided on the gmini402.

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500708.html

The problem is, you need to buy an accessory to play FM Radio on it. Other than that, it has everything you seem to be looking for. I like the horizontal style of it and the fact that it looks like a gaming machine. There are a few games that can be downloaded on it ($5.99 each) although most of them are pretty bad. It has 20GB of space and can play music and videos. Anyway, this one seems perfect for my needs so I thought I would share. Don't know if it has everything you need though. If you wait until next month (which I am) archos will be releasing a gmini402 with a camcorder integrated inside. Don't know how much more it will cost but it basically looks and feels the exact same but there is a camera inside the new one.

On the subject of iPods. IMO, they are good, but better MP3 players can be had for a cheaper price. From what I have seen, iPods have become more of a fashion statement rather than an MP3 player. I haven't owned one but I have used them before. I think the only plus is that they are extremely easy to use. Other than that, I don't see the big deal.

[quote name='cyrix`']k i guess i'll post my reason now:
Now replace the words toyota pickup with other mp3 players and bmw z3 with ipod.
It simply doinates the subject. I've also had great support for mine (without purchasing an extra warranty) even when I tried to install linux on it :D (4th gen btw)[/QUOTE]

That isn't really a reason. I could say the opposite is true. ipod = toyota pick up.

Everyone who is supporting the iPod doesn't have a valid reason to back it up for some reason.

[quote name='dpatel']That isn't really a reason. I could say the opposite is true. ipod = toyota pick up.

Everyone who is supporting the iPod doesn't have a valid reason to back it up for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Why won't any ipod owners explain why they bought it?

All they're basically saying is "because it's better". But not explaining why they think it's better.

Ok, we know it's easy to use and it looks pretty (and they force you to you itunes with it). Is there anything else besides that? [It kinda reminds me of the Mac ... am I evil? :) ps: it was a joke!... please don't flame me]

i really love my ipod (hence my name :)) but the current ones are quite crappy compared to my 3G ipod. Cant blame you for stayin away from the 4Gs. As for options, the Cowon iAudio is an excellent choice, as well as pretty much ANY iRiver. I had an iRiver as my first MP3 player. Excellent all around. i would go with the IHP series.

BUMP, and ye know why? It's because now I need one too. After reading the whole thread, I'm a bit confused. So far, IRiver and IAudio are sounding like the best deals, but I have one important question:
Which offers me an Mp3 player that stores a reasonable amount of tunes that I can listen to in the car, but is also durable enough that I can run and go to the gym without it setting me aflame?

[quote name='cyrix`']k i guess i'll post my reason now:
It simply doinates the subject. I've also had great support for mine (without purchasing an extra warranty) even when I tried to install linux on it :D (4th gen btw)[/QUOTE]

I agree somewhat with that analogy. Toyotas are reliable, efficient, and affordable. A BMW is an expensive status symbol that offers no practical advantages over a Toyota. Funny thing, though. Toyota's cars outsell BMWs by a wide margin. That's where the analogy breaks down.

One more point of observation. I happen to own both a "Toyota" and a "BMW". :D

i have been looking into getting an mp3 player for walking and running. i was looking at the ipod nano because it is very light and thin. i do not need fm radio, or huge amounts of memory because i have all my music on the hard drive in my computer, and can change songs whenever i feel like listening to something different. is there a better option than the nano for what i am looking for?

There are basically 3 categories of dap/mp3 players, the small flash drive players, the medium harddrive players and the larger video players.
The ipod, x5, iriver h10 are all medium sixe players holding between 20-60gigs. The smaller flash players, like the nano, iaudio 5 or iriver t30 weigh in from 256mb to 4 gigs.
The Nano is pushing the upper limits of memory for a flash player. Really Samsung is the closest manufacturer right now and only in the 2 gig land.
In terms of quality, iriver, iaudio, apple and samsung all recieve high marks and are solid products. Preferences come down to the navigation system, extra features, price and appearance.
As for the nano, if you are concerned with how your player looks, ie scratches, looking beat up, the nano is NOT for you. It scratches. Easily. VERY easily, regardless of how careful you are. If you care about this, wait for them to improve the product, if you don't, there currently is no other options at the 4gig level. There are many options at the 1 gig level that cost less than apple, again alot of it is personal preference.

Buddy dont get either of them I have a Creative Micro Zen and also where Iwork I sell the philips and they suck so I advise you to buy a Iriver my first option I dontm know why I diidnt buy it, (SH*T).

I think I'm going to go with this PMP, even though the Cowon A2 came out I can't justify the extra $250 for it.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?in...mail-_-daily_html-_-21nov05-_-TopTenGiftsMain

Also geeks.com is selling this on ebay here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5831746356&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

With shipping it comes to $252. Using the current ebay coupons ( I assume you can combine them ) it would come down to about $212. I've looked up the reviews for it and they all seem positive the only downfall that I've read is it is a little big and battery life is somewhat short.

bread's done
Back