Need help: DS Lite hinge and Armor!

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
This morning, I opened up my DS Lite, and BLAM: my right hinge disintegrated.

ds1.jpg

Isn't that a hideously dirty screen? I blame it on my wife. She plays it more than I do.

I called up Nintendo's customer service, who've always been good to me. They let me know that, sadly, early adopters aren't given special favor. And while they were fixing these left and right a couple of years ago, the offer's expired. Fixing the case now costs $80 after shipping.

Eighty bucks! For a plastic case? That's more than a used unit on Craigslist. I could buy a new case on eBay for $20, but I'm really not good at messing around with that sort of thing.

Apparently, this is a fairly common problem with DS lite units. The right hinge is nasty. Right now, though, I'm out of a job and don't want to replace a perfectly good system.

Does anyone have any experience with using the DS Lite armor or the Nerf Armor? Would it keep my system in place - at least, enough so that the top screen doesn't fall off while I'm using it? $10 isn't bad; I can do that - if it helps. Because right now, even though it's working fine, the top screen refuses to stay on:

ds2.jpg

I think the $80 is because the DS Lite is pretty difficult to take apart and put back together. I'd recommend (and this is a free plug for him - cheers!) contacting CAG ProtonX. He just fixed a cracked hinge DS Lite for me, and as a bonus, let us have white buttons (every button, by our choice), with a black case. It's pretty slick looking. He also fixed a slim PS2 for me in the past.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=79176

Send him a PM.

crunchewy - thanks! I'll message him and see if he's willing to help and how much he'd charge.

For what it's worth, I went ahead and got the Nerf shell from Target, figuring I can return it if it doesn't work. Good news: it fits together great (though the plastic shell feels a bit cheap), so the screens are connected again! The bad news: if I try to close it, the plastic bit in the corner comes off. Suppose I could either leave it off permanently (leaving the circuitry exposed) or just keep the DS Lite open. I'm opting for the second for now.

Well, yes I do fix that- I can replace the hinge and customize your DS to have differnt color buttons. I only have used cases at the moment- but use only the ones in the best shape.I can even make the whole DS two tone or anything. I charge $40 which includes paypal fees and shipping it priority back to you. I also clean the inside out and the button contacts.

I had the same thing happen to my black DS except that the hinge hasn't completely broken off. My wife "dropped" it and when I opened it, I noticed the cracked hinge. Luckily, I closed it before it completely broke. I got the Gorilla Glue out and fixed the problem. Everything was working fine until the DS was dropped again and the crack got a little bigger to the point of almost breaking completely off.

I had less patience this time and did a quick fix with the Gorilla Glue but now the right shoulder button doesn't work. I guess I used too much glue this time. I really don't use that button much since I've been mostly playing SRPGs recently. The only thing that bothers me right now is that I can't use the e-brake in GTA: Chinatown Wars.

I'll probably stick with this DS until I decide to replace it or I upgrade to the DSi. I used to warn my son about taking care of his 2nd DS (his first was broken to hell), yet mine is now banged up and his is in excellent condition except for the ever-present smudges.

bread's done
Back