Need help in making a list of good genesis rpgs

shortshire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm trying to make a list a good genesis rpgs to buy, can anybody help me out? I already know the shining force series and the phantasy star series so can anyone help me out.

First and formost...Shining Force 1 and 2 is by far the best on the system.

Lunar is great, Shining of the Wisdom is nice and Landstalker is pretty decent as well. That should get you started in a good direction.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']First and formost...Shining Force 1 and 2 is by far the best on the system.

Lunar is great, Shining of the Wisdom is nice and Landstalker is pretty decent as well. That should get you started in a good direction.[/quote]

Lunar is for Sega CD
Shining Wisdom is for the Saturn.

Landstalker is alright. Look for Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star 4, and Shining Force 2. SF 1 is alright, and Shining in the Darkness is pretty good, but really repetitive, and certainly not for everyone.

[quote name='yellowaznboy']Crusader of Centy and Beyond Oasis are good action-RPGs.[/quote]

Beyond Oasis is the shiznit!! Anyone ever play the sequel on Saturn?

PS 2 and 3 were also Genesis...but PS3 was pretty weak comparatively.

Shadawrun on the Genesis was another classic...

[quote name='huntlyon']Shadawrun on the Genesis was another classic...[/quote]

How could I forget this classic? If you find a copy, pick it up!

Also, the sequel to Beyond Oasis, Legend of Oasis (Saturn), had a hidden two-player mode. Freakin' awesome if you ask me.

Phantasy Star 2 was also on Genesis. 3 Was as well, but most people don't care. :) 3 is the one I'm playing right now on GBA, however.

Pick up a SegaCD, and get Lunar, Lunar 2, Shining Force CD, Popful Mail, Vay, Dark Wizard, Snatcher, and Heimdall. If you're going to actually buy these games you might as well make the (tiny) investment in a SegaCD. Picking up the Phantasy Star and Shining Force series will cover most of the good ones but it'll set you back a lot of money.

There's Sorceror's Kingdom, Faery Tale, Super Hydlide and Y's III. I own them, but haven't played them. I figured we're just trying to make a list of all them now.

There's also Fatal Labyrinth which I liked. It's pretty bad by today's standards but it's a lot like Torneko for PS1.

All the Genesis RPGs I can recall, not necessarily god ones:
Beyond Oasis
Crusader of Centy
Flashback
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Might & Magic
Out of this World
Phantasy Star 2, 3, and IV. (1 was on Master System and can be played through the Genesis Power Base Converter but it would probably be cheaper to get it for the GBA. Note: PS1 has serious dungeon bugs if played on Game Gear through Master Gear converter.)
Rings of Power
Shining Force I
shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sorcerer's Kingdom
Super Hydlide
Sword of Vermillion

Sega CD RPGs:
Adventure of Wally Beamish
Dark Wizard
dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Master II
Eye of the Beholder
Flashback
Heart of the Alien
Heimdall
Lunar I
Lunar 2:Eternal BLue (both of these are expensive and more easily obtained for PS1 with better FMV.)
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Monkey Island
Popful Mail
Rise of the Dragon
Shinig Force
Snatcher

There were also at least three Rogue/Hack style games with randomly generated dungeons but I'm blanking on the titles. One of them may have been Fatal Labyrinth.

[quote name='bradr']There's Sorceror's Kingdom, Faery Tale, Super Hydlide and Y's III. I own them, but haven't played them. I figured we're just trying to make a list of all them now.

There's also Fatal Labyrinth which I liked. It's pretty bad by today's standards but it's a lot like Torneko for PS1.[/quote]

Aagh! how could I forget Faery Tale Adventure? I knew the guy who created the original Amiga version, David Joiner, back in the day. Nice guy but not very well grounded in reality and tends to get ripped off or invest massive effort in projects of dubious marketability.

Like many on my list Ys III is kind of borderline. I had the SNES version. While it has RPG elements the emphasis is so much more on action little thought is required. It also had the notorious rubberband bug which let you position your guy in this cave with an endless procession of bats. If you used a rubberband to hold down the button on rapid-fire controller you could leave the game by itself for a few hours whil the endless bats supplied enough EXP to max out your character rather earlier than intended by the designers.

bread's done
Back