Need Help Naming an Old PC Game

JoeMasakari

CAG Veteran
It had to be from the early to mid maybe late 90's not sure.

My description is going to be awful but I figured I'd give it a chance.

The game was kind of an RPG you had a choice of characters with different abilities one I believe was part man part lion. You went of an adventure, fighting using swords, magic, etc.... It was first person perspective and there were a lot of animations with characters talking between game play. It was set in medieval style times I believe in a fictional reality.

This is all I can remember.

I do vaguely remember slime like creatures in a rock cave.

If anyone knows what I am talking please let me know,

Yeah I know. I haven't played it since I was real young and my memory is not holding it's weight. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

[quote name='JoeMasakari']Now I need to buy a cheap pc so I can play this. GRRRR macs.[/QUOTE]
Joe I hope you check this thread again because if you have a mac made in the last decade you probably don't need to buy a pc to play this game. It's supported in dosbox.

I cant recall the title or who made this game but here's my description. If you can figure it out or recall what it is, i am forever grateful.

It's a 3-d Action/Strategy game.
It came bundled with an old Compaq Presario Laptop, so it must have come out between 1998 and 2002.

The premise of the game was that you started the level with a big base (positioned over a resource geyser?) to spawn tanks. You gave the spawned tanks orders to take objectives/attack enemy/movement orders. You also had the option to drive a tank in first person to fight and could rotate personal/AI control between all your spawned tanks, kinda like the ghost recon games with your squad. Taking certain objectives on a map gave you the ability to spawn better tanks and even jets/helicopters. Once you completed a level you moved on to another level keeping your tech level for tanks/aircraft you acquired from previous levels.

It was a real 3-d battlefield and fairly good graphics for the time. I appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you for your time, and have a fun day.

bill... 8^)

[quote name='bllybbjon']I cant recall the title or who made this game but here's my description. If you can figure it out or recall what it is, i am forever grateful.

It's a 3-d Action/Strategy game.
It came bundled with an old Compaq Presario Laptop, so it must have come out between 1998 and 2002.

The premise of the game was that you started the level with a big base (positioned over a resource geyser?) to spawn tanks. You gave the spawned tanks orders to take objectives/attack enemy/movement orders. You also had the option to drive a tank in first person to fight and could rotate personal/AI control between all your spawned tanks, kinda like the ghost recon games with your squad. Taking certain objectives on a map gave you the ability to spawn better tanks and even jets/helicopters. Once you completed a level you moved on to another level keeping your tech level for tanks/aircraft you acquired from previous levels.

It was a real 3-d battlefield and fairly good graphics for the time. I appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you for your time, and have a fun day.

bill... 8^)[/quote]

Urban Assault?

[quote name='chronodev']Urban Assault?[/quote]
The dangers of multiposting.
:lol:
Yeah, that was it, I got him the answer in one of his 3 other posts about it...

Ok, another one that's wracking my brain.

This game was from the early to mid 90's. It was a side scroller shoot 'em, similar to Contra and moreso Bionic Commando. It's name was really similar to the latter, I think, I just can't place my name on it. I remember underground levels and also ones where you had to hop up scaffolding. There were robots you had to shoot, too. The graphics were pretty sharp and the levels were very colorful. I also remember the main guy seemed really badass but I'm blanking on how so (attire, colors, hair...)

My dad had it on one of two bundle CDs, and I think it was a demo. One was red one was purple or blue. The discs were called something super generic like either "99-103 PC Games" and then "99-103 MORE PC Games".

I tried wiki-ing and amazon-ing it. I think it may be sort of obscure... I remember you could mail to get the game, but I never saw it at a computer show and it was one I looked for in '96-'98 when my dad used to take me.

I know it's probably not it (seems way to obvious), but damned if it doesn't sound like Duke Nukem or Duke Nukem II. Or perhaps one of the Commander Keens.

[quote name='pyoobez']Ok, another one that's wracking my brain.

This game was from the early to mid 90's. It was a side scroller shoot 'em, similar to Contra and moreso Bionic Commando. It's name was really similar to the latter, I think, I just can't place my name on it. I remember underground levels and also ones where you had to hop up scaffolding. There were robots you had to shoot, too. The graphics were pretty sharp and the levels were very colorful. I also remember the main guy seemed really badass but I'm blanking on how so (attire, colors, hair...)

My dad had it on one of two bundle CDs, and I think it was a demo. One was red one was purple or blue. The discs were called something super generic like either "99-103 PC Games" and then "99-103 MORE PC Games".

I tried wiki-ing and amazon-ing it. I think it may be sort of obscure... I remember you could mail to get the game, but I never saw it at a computer show and it was one I looked for in '96-'98 when my dad used to take me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it sounds like it might be Commander Keen. I remember CDs like that, they were basically big collections of shareware games. A lot of them probably had Commander Keen.

On the other hand, Commander Keen wasn't that obscure...

[quote name='rickonker']
On the other hand, Commander Keen wasn't that obscure...[/quote]

And, in my opinion, wasn't really badass... course the only badass in video games I know is the Duke.:cool:

Holy crap, I had a response written up on how it wasn't Commander Keen, but that game was on the disk. I ended up wiki-ing Keen, ended up in id's somehow, found Catacombs that was also on the disc, so I searched for thos two together. I ended up on a game downloads site, checked b thinking it was Bionic something and found it...

Bio Menace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78LKo3arvNM

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rickonker']I looked it up and we were close...Bio Menace uses the Commander Keen engine. BTW, the full version of Bio Menace is now free if anyone wants to try it.

http://www.3drealms.com/menace/

Be warned, it requires at least a 286 processor![/quote]

Thanks a bunch man. I just got past Skullman. I even remembered one of the secret corridors and my favorite trick... setting a land mine and standing like five feet from it and taunting a bad guy to come get me.

Oh and looking back... I guess the guy wasn't nearly as badass as I remember. Then again, it was the early 90's and mullets weren't a joke... they were a lifestyle.

[quote name='pyoobez']Then again, it was the early 90's and mullets weren't a joke... they were a lifestyle.[/quote]
Where I'm from, mullets are still a lifestyle.:cool:

The game was a PC straegy game i think on a disc, you would build units and hire heroes based on guild halls, although you could not control the units by giving orders, you would set a bounty on a monster or enemy and they would be motivated to attack based on the bounty. There was a happiness level i think. The opening media narrarator had a voice like sean connery's. The name had something to do with "hero" or "realm" but not heros of might and magic or quest for heroes or masters of magic (great game by the way). Thank you for your help

bread's done
Back