Need help picking RAM

ProphetZero

CAGiversary!
I'm not very computer smart but I do know I need more RAM to run World of Warcraft on my PC. I currently have this in my pc- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231099

I have 2 of those giving my pc just 2 gigs of RAM. My motherboard holds DDR2 not 3 sadly so the price is higher for me than if I had a DDR3. No way am I upgrading my pc and buying all new parts just for that when I only use it to play WoW.

I just need 2 more gigs of RAM or all new set up to 4 gigs.

I'm looking at getting this-

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-DDR2800-...+6400)+Desktop+Memory+Model+F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ

Its 800 Mhz just like what I have so speed shouldn't be an issue but its .2 volts off my current set and its a different brand than what I've got so I don't know if I try to install it with my current RAM if it would work or not.

What do you guys think or recommend? I don't want to pay $40 or more just for 2-4 gigs of RAM. The two 1 gig sticks I have in my system are $18.99 each and seems way too expensive.

So your Mobo has 4 slots for RAM? the G.Skill you listed in your second post should work fine with what you currently have and I would recommend it over the RAM in your Amazon link. It looks like it is only one stick, you're better off buying it in pairs.

First off, What is your computer specs? Mainly, what motherboard you have?

Some older boards that still run DDR2 can't handle 2GB sticks and if you have 4 slots with the spec saying you can't hold anything more than 4GB, chances are it won't support 2 x 2GB set. Specially if this is an OEM build of which I suspect is a Dell computer...

Personally, I'd say test your luck on ebay and see if you can find something used for cheap. There's no shortage of DDR2 800 2GB kits on there. I see some sold for $5 shipped for a set.

Motherboard specs is the real importance here. Need to make sure if it will in fact support 2gb modules if you go that route.

Well damn, here I was worried that you would have a shitty old motherboard, but in fact you got a pretty decent one. I'd say look on ebay for a 2x2GB kit, I've seen those go for the same price as 1x2GB kits sometimes; doesn't hurt to look around.

I would like to suggest you for better performance and at lower and reasonable price you can choose newegg Item=N82E16820134045
to play world of war craft with great enthusiasm.

[quote name='andybarr']I would like to suggest you for better performance and at lower and reasonable price you can choose newegg Item=N82E16820134045
to play world of war craft with great enthusiasm.[/QUOTE]
That is a poor choice to pair with what OP has. He has DDR2 800, what you have is DDR2 667. It makes no sense to pair slower modules for the same price as 800 speed ones, which would downclock his 800 to 667, plus I'm not entirely certain the other memory timings are going to match up the same.

bread's done
Back