Need Help, Please Offer Advice On Gaming Setup!!!

jpuma1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, I need help. I just have a regular setup for my videogame systems. I have a GC, XBOX, PS2, and I need to find the easiest, not so expensive way to hook everything up. My TV is just a normal 36" tube tv, no HD or stuff (we got our behemoth 56" Samusung DLP for my dad, but I don't want to burden his present with my games), but it does have one component hookup. The TV is hooked up to a Sony surround system with optical output. I'm saving for an HDTV for my own stuff by the time a PS3 comes out. :D

I used to use a normal, mechanical A/V switcher to switch btw my GC, XBOX, PS2, and Dreamcast, but then I got some MadCatz Component cables, the ones with plugs for both PS2 and Xbox. I'm planning to get the official PS2 component cables for my ps2, and use the madcatz ones for my xbox, and i have official nintendo ones. i just need a splitter now.

for just my regular tv, i've heard that the pelican hd system selector (not pro, the mechanical one without a power supply), is fine for regular tv's. i just need to know:

1) is there diminished signal quality using splitter w/ a mechanical switch (no power supply) that is noticable?
2) is there a difference btw madcatz component cables and official Ps2 cables?
3) does is make a difference if i use a high quality component cable to connect the splitter to the tv as opposed to the cable that comes in the box with the splitter?

Well anytime you have a junction in the signal path you're going to diminish quality, but there's no way to say if it will be noticeable without actually comparing it on your TV. Just go with the ps2 cables...give you some peace of mind :p

[quote name='jpuma1']
1) is there diminished signal quality using splitter w/ a mechanical switch (no power supply) that is noticable?
3) does is make a difference if i use a high quality component cable to connect the splitter to the tv as opposed to the cable that comes in the box with the splitter?[/QUOTE]

1) Yes there is, but it may not be noticable. Also, Im sure you know this, but keep in mind if your making one or more jumps to get the signal from your console to your tv, the signal will only look and sound as good as the cheapest cables in that chain.

2) Im sure the official PS2 cables are better than madcatz, but they may not be the best. Then again, I wouldnt spend $75 on cables for a $150 ps2.

3) Yes. Better quality is better quality. I have an entire box of shitty cables that came with various consoles and electronics Ive bought. I almost never wind up using them.

If you're going to go component for everything, then look for a Pelican System Selector Pro. Best purchase I ever made. Additional optical cables, eight component (also s-video and composite), and three ethernet.

[quote name='gamereviewgod']If you're going to go component for everything, then look for a Pelican System Selector Pro. Best purchase I ever made. Additional optical cables, eight component (also s-video and composite), and three ethernet.[/QUOTE]

someone had mentioned that it might be a little overkill for me to get right now, esp for just a regular tube tv. that's why they suggested the regular, mechanical switch, HD system selector. thanks for the opinion!:D

[quote name='jpuma1']someone had mentioned that it might be a little overkill for me to get right now, esp for just a regular tube tv. that's why they suggested the regular, mechanical switch, HD system selector. thanks for the opinion!:D[/QUOTE]

But why buy something cheaper now and then this unit later? You said you were saving up for a HD tv in the near future (by time PS3 comes out). Thats a year away. Might as well buy a future proof av selector now, so when you do get that hdtv, and that PS3, you wont need to factor in the additional cost of the system selector.

[quote name='Puffa469']2) Im sure the official PS2 cables are better than madcatz, but they may not be the best. Then again, I wouldnt spend $75 on cables for a $150 ps2. [/QUOTE]

I think the component cables are around $20-$25. Not sure where you're getting $75 from.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']I think the component cables are around $20-$25. Not sure where you're getting $75 from.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of the component cable prices for home theater cables. Im not really sure what console component cable prices are.

[quote name='jpuma1']Ok, I need help. I just have a regular setup for my videogame systems. I have a GC, XBOX, PS2, and I need to find the easiest, not so expensive way to hook everything up. My TV is just a normal 36" tube tv, no HD or stuff (we got our behemoth 56" Samusung DLP for my dad, but I don't want to burden his present with my games), but it does have one component hookup. The TV is hooked up to a Sony surround system with optical output. I'm saving for an HDTV for my own stuff by the time a PS3 comes out. :D

I used to use a normal, mechanical A/V switcher to switch btw my GC, XBOX, PS2, and Dreamcast, but then I got some MadCatz Component cables, the ones with plugs for both PS2 and Xbox. I'm planning to get the official PS2 component cables for my ps2, and use the madcatz ones for my xbox, and i have official nintendo ones. i just need a splitter now.

for just my regular tv, i've heard that the pelican hd system selector (not pro, the mechanical one without a power supply), is fine for regular tv's. i just need to know:

3) does is make a difference if i use a high quality component cable to connect the splitter to the tv as opposed to the cable that comes in the box with the splitter?[/QUOTE]

Since you're not outputting progressive scan or HD data, you will notice absolutely no loss with a mechanical switch.

It would be a better idea to use a real component cable from the splitter to the TV in order to keep loss at an absolute minimum/none at all.

I use Madcatz component cables hooked up to an HDTV and have noticed no difference between Sony and Monster, returned them to Walmart ASAP when I saw there was no point in $20 and $40 cable.

A better idea would be to buy an official or high end cable for your X-Box and use the Madcatz for your PS2, if you ever went to HD, the X-Box would need a much better cable since it can output true HD [1080i, 720p, I forget, I don't own a Xbox but I know it outputs true HD not just progressive]

So shopping list...

Official/Name Brand Xbox component cable

Pelican HD System Selector [any component switch will work though, Walmart has good deals on RCA's]

Name Brand Component Cable [Philips has a good one for $5]

bread's done
Back