Need help to determine if I got a sealed Shenmue

you ever buy a cd, dvd, or video game and have to take off a plastic stick that joines the two ends of the clam-shell together?
DC games had them too.

[quote name='ishimeru']you ever buy a cd, dvd, or video game and have to take off a plastic stick that joines the two ends of the clam-shell together?
DC games had them too.[/quote]This is a bigger cd case so I am not sure if it applys the same way as the normal ones.

That's a reseal. I bought it new when it came out and it came sealed like every jewel case. It should be folded at the top and bottom, not sealed like that.

Mine has the y fold on it. This is not to say, though, that it is not legit. It could be a later release of shenmue that was done in a different factory or something. The price difference between a factory sealed Shenmue and an open one is $5 or so, so it does not matter too much unless you wanted it for your sealed collection.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Mine has the y fold on it. This is not to say, though, that it is not legit. It could be a later release of shenmue that was done in a different factory or something. The price difference between a factory sealed Shenmue and an open one is $5 or so, so it does not matter too much unless you wanted it for your sealed collection.[/quote]Yeah, I did want it sealed for my collection.

[quote name='Scrubsy']http://cgi.ebay.com/Shenmue-Dreamcast-New-Factory-Sealed-Mint_W0QQitemZ260147054744QQihZ016QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Found this old auction that has what appears to look exactly the same. So either two people are trying to pass off re-wraps or I did get a sealed one.[/quote]

I think you already have your answer, you just dont have the one you wanted. Let me reiterate it for you though.

The seal on regular cds (Shenmue included, I bought it like this) is rigid and crisp. Its straight and is folded on both the bottom and the top. And it comes with the plastic "Dreamcast" seal holding the dual clamshell case shut at the top.

If the seal looks like shit, like yours does, and is more of a "gummy" kinda texture and strength, then its a reseal.

Sorry for you to waste your money, but you got your answer a couple posts up, if you werent going to believe what people say on here (which is your right, by all means) then why ask the question at all?

Anyways, sorry for your loss,
~Juka

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I think you already have your answer, you just dont have the one you wanted. Let me reiterate it for you though.

The seal on regular cds (Shenmue included, I bought it like this) is rigid and crisp. Its straight and is folded on both the bottom and the top. And it comes with the plastic "Dreamcast" seal holding the dual clamshell case shut at the top.

If the seal looks like shit, like yours does, and is more of a "gummy" kinda texture and strength, then its a reseal.

Sorry for you to waste your money, but you got your answer a couple posts up, if you werent going to believe what people say on here (which is your right, by all means) then why ask the question at all?

Anyways, sorry for your loss,
~Juka[/quote]

I just wanted to make absolutely sure before I ask for a refund back thats all

I believe I have a new sealed one at home that has the same wrap as yours. I bought it myself from a retailer. I bought it late so it is possible that the wrap style was changed, or the manufacturer changed after it had been out for a while.

I will check it tonight.

I remember years ago Sears had a blowout sale on DC games for $5-$6. I purchased multiple copies of Shenmue and they all had the same wrap as your pictured one. This was at the end of the DC's life.

Yeah, I was just talking to one of my friends on MSN and he has one with the same seal. I am starting to think it is actually sealed, it was just towards the end of the DC life span and they were trying to save money by doing this.

I have a copy I bought new at Circuit City years ago OP and it's just like yours on 3 sides. I bought it for $20 (only time I saw Shenmue new for $20 actually) so it could have been from a later press with a different seal job going on.

[quote name='PocariSweat']I remember years ago Sears had a blowout sale on DC games for $5-$6. I purchased multiple copies of Shenmue and they all had the same wrap as your pictured one. This was at the end of the DC's life.[/QUOTE]

I also bought Shenmue at Sears for $1.97 years ago and it had the same type of shrinkwrap that was thin and looked like a re-wrap.

[quote name='Scrubsy']I think sega was hemriging money at the time and had to seal it this way. I am going with its sealed. Thanks guys.[/quote]

Yeah, I checked mine and it is sealed just like yours and it has the security tag on the back and I know I bought it at retail. So it sounds like Sega tried to save some money.

[quote name='ishimeru']you ever buy a cd, dvd, or video game and have to take off a plastic stick that joines the two ends of the clam-shell together?
DC games had them too.[/quote]

No, DC games did not have any seal on the inside of the plastic wrapper like cds, dvds or older PS2 games did.

As far as how DC games were sealed: I'm looking at eight factory sealed DC games on my desk. Six have the more rigid plastic with the folds at the ends. Two have the shrink wrap style seals. Of note, the shrink sealed games have a large, overlapping, easy to open seal on the back side.

For the interested...

Plastic:
GTA2
Bangai-o
Death Crimson OX
Mars Matrix
Soul Calibur and
The Typing of the Dead

Shrink:
Skies of Arcadia
ChuChu Rocket

I can also attest to the validity of said seals as I worked at the store I purchased them from.

bread's done
Back