Need Help with a power supply or adaptor for computer

shortshire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here it goes. I just put together my computer and realized that power supply I have is one with a 20 pin connector. The motherboard I have is one that will only except power supplies with a 24 pin connector. I was just wondering since I have a power source that is already 420 Watt power supply should i just get the adaptor for the computer. The mother board I have is an ASUS A8N Sli, and the processor I am using in the Athlon 64 3000 venice. I am not sure if this is enough power for the board and processor.

What type of video card and how many hard drives
are you sticking in this bad boy? This will determine
the PSU needed to power your system.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Most power supplies made within the past year are now 24-pin by default (I built a server a year and a half ago and remember having to special order one because not even Fry's carried them) and come with adapters for 20-pin mobos. Of course, it's easier in that situation because you're adapting "downwards" instead of "upwards."

Your motherboard probably has a 24-pin connector (and probably even has a 4-pin auxilary connector, too) for good reason. Regardless of how many devices you have, you really don't know how much power your motherboard itself craves.

Do you really want to risk not giving your CPU, memory, videocard, etc. not enough power?

bread's done
Back