Need help with connecting to Xbox Live. Reward offered.

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
I have 2 360s in my house, mine and my little brother's. We've never had trouble with connecting to Live, even at the same time.

He plays on Live way more than I do, so of course he'd be the first to notice a problem. A couple days ago, he came to me and said that his 360 wasn't connecting. I ran the network test, and it said that the console was connected to the internet but not connected to Live. So I restarted the modem and router, and got the same shit. So I turned on mine, and it signed in just fine.

The next day, his shit was still messed up. I turn on mine, and now it's giving me the error it gave him. I've tried everything I can think of doing: hooking the 360 directly to the modem, trying a different port on the router, etc. No settings were changed, so I'm not sure why it would start acting up all of a sudden. Anybody have any ideas?

edit - $10 Paypal or 3 free months of Live to anyone who can figure this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard reset your router and unplug modem for 30 seconds.What type of encryption are you using(ie WEP,WPA2)? What do you mean"the console was connected to the internet but not connected to Live"? Do you have the necessary ports open for both consoles?Are you using Static IP or DHCP?Could be anything.

[quote name='aihuman']Hard reset your router and unplug modem for 30 seconds.What type of encryption are you using(ie WEP,WPA2)? What do you mean"the console was connected to the internet but not connected to Live"? Do you have the necessary ports open for both consoles?Are you using Static IP or DHCP?Could be anything.[/QUOTE]

I'm using WEP.

That was what the error message said, that it was connected to the internet but couldn't contact Xbox Live.

I've not opened any ports. It's weird that I would have to now, seeing as how it's worked for 3 years before this.

I've got both systems set up with Static IPs.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm using WEP.

That was what the error message said, that it was connected to the internet but couldn't contact Xbox Live.

I've not opened any ports. It's weird that I would have to now, seeing as how it's worked for 3 years before this.

I've got both systems set up with Static IPs.[/QUOTE]

Are each of the IPs unique?

You don't need to open any ports on the router. Does the problem 360 have DNS server(s) configured?

Do they both have HDDs? If so, would you mind trying clearing the HDD cache on atleast one and trying that? (Someone had a similar issue, but it was related to a corrupted update to the dashboard)

Another thing, which MAY be a pain to try/do, is to modify your MTU (this will affect your bandwidth, but people mention that they can change it back after a few days and it works just like it used to)

It requires messing in the registry, and on your router.

http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu.shtml

I personally have never messed with the MTU, or had to, but if it fixes your issue, then it's obviously worth looking into. Please BE CAREFUL in the registry, though.

Lastly, you could try a bridge (or two) -- if your computer(s) use wireless. If you could find a way to connect each Xbox to a Laptop or something else with wireless as well as an ethernet port, and make it into a bridge.

I dunno, will continue to look into it though. Weird issue.

Did you try setting the router to allow the 360? I assume most routers have a tab to add in privleges for specific games/devices. Else, maybe try updating your router?

I've had this problem before, & while I don't remember exactly what I did, it works now. I think it kinda fixed itself :/

I bridged my 360 to my laptop earlier and got the same error.

Clearing the cache didn't work.

Saturday night, I turned mine on and it signed into Live. I turned it off, waited, and turned it back on. It signed back into Live. I did this a couple more times and it worked great, so I thought it was fixed. I turned it on today, and it was back to the same error message.

I appreciate you guys trying to help me.

Update the firmware on the router, I've run into this a few times, something with the combo of the xbox wifi and the router's firmware, pm if you need help

Can you access these accounts on xbox.com? Any other reports of connectivity problems with other people on XBL? It doesn't get anyone $10 but maybe it's time to give MS a ring and see if something has gone awry with your account(s).

Ruahrc

[quote name='zippedupmonkey']Update the firmware on the router, I've run into this a few times, something with the combo of the xbox wifi and the router's firmware, pm if you need help[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. If it's been three years, you probably just need a firmware update.

The 360s are using wired connections straight from the router. The only time I ever tried a wireless connection was earlier today when I tried hooking it to my laptop.

I can access the accounts fine at xbox.com

My router(Netgear WPN824v2) autochecks for updated firmware everytime I log in. It says I already have the latest update.

My ISP is just a regional phone company here in my area. I may call them tomorrow and see if they can help.

Have you tried resetting the router to the factory defaults?

-There should be a button on the back of the router, or something you can push with a pen.

Open up the following ports:

* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

Trust me on this one. If you're not familiar with the process it might be listed under "port forwarding" on your router.

[quote name='ZForce915']Open up the following ports:

* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

Trust me on this one. If you're not familiar with the process it might be listed under "port forwarding" on your router.[/QUOTE]

I'll try it again later, but how am I supposed to open them for both systems?

Did you brother have profanity on his gamercard? Xbox could have banned him for having profanity. To check: Turn on Xbox, view gamercard. Does it say Code of Conduct on motto, name, and bio?

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Did you brother have profanity on his gamercard? Xbox could have banned him for having profanity. To check: Turn on Xbox, view gamercard. Does it say Code of Conduct on motto, name, and bio?[/QUOTE]

No, that's not it.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yes, I already tried that.

I emailed my ISP's support team, and they sent me this link.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/xboxlive/v1gamesfaq.aspx

I have no idea how this could possibly be the reason for my problem.[/QUOTE]

Yeah wow, that link makes no sense.

Can you list the type of router you are using? Not sure why you would be able to run them both at the same time in the past connected to Live but are no longer able to unless there's a problem with your router. Some routers are unable to have both 360's connected because it'll only let one device run in the DMZ at a time, but if you were able to do that in the past it either means that there's a problem with your router or a recent firmware update messed up the ability for that router to perform that function. Which is why I asked you to restore it to the default setting to see if that worked.

Now when you turned your xbox on and it connected to Live, afterwards did you have your brother turn on his xbox and connect to Live before you tried and were unable to with your xbox?

Sorry if this isn't very helpful.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Yeah wow, that link makes no sense.

Can you list the type of router you are using? Not sure why you would be able to run them both at the same time in the past connected to Live but are no longer able to unless there's a problem with your router. Some routers are unable to have both 360's connected because it'll only let one device run in the DMZ at a time, but if you were able to do that in the past it either means that there's a problem with your router or a recent firmware update messed up the ability for that router to perform that function. Which is why I asked you to restore it to the default setting to see if that worked.

Now when you turned your xbox on and it connected to Live, afterwards did you have your brother turn on his xbox and connect to Live before you tried and were unable to with your xbox?

Sorry if this isn't very helpful.[/QUOTE]

The router model is Netgear WPN824v2. I have a wired Linksys router around here somewhere that I'll try later.

It seems like I did turn his on after mine connected.

Any help is appreciated, as I'm running out of my own ideas.

Is there any chance at all that the cables are bad? (very unlikely, I know)

Did you try changing the MTU? I could probably walk you through it if you were unsure about it.

How recently did you give them static IPs?

Have you tried turning on the router's DMZ? (only temporarily! turn it on, then try an/both Xbox)

Your router supports UPNP correct? Is it enabled?

Trying here =/

Wish I could get my hands on the router, heh.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The router model is Netgear WPN824v2. I have a wired Linksys router around here somewhere that I'll try later.

It seems like I did turn his on after mine connected.

Any help is appreciated, as I'm running out of my own ideas.[/QUOTE]

If you turned his on after you connected, it likely switched to having his IP as the port forwarded IP which is what caused your problem.

Try this out, go into the router options, turn off DMZ and Port Forwarding for the two Xbox IP's and make sure the UPNP is on and see if that works.

Try switching to different ethernet ports on the router? Sometimes they'll go out for no reason and just changing to another one fixes an issue.

/another bottom-of-the-barrel suggestion

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'll try it again later, but how am I supposed to open them for both systems?[/QUOTE]

You'd use port triggering, where the router opens said ports whenever they are needed by anyone on the network.

I don't know where or how to port trigger on your router, but you'll need these 3 ports (both UPD and TCP)

One website mentioned that both Xboxes should be set to "AUTO" in terms of IP distribution, instead of a static address, too.

Okay, so I got mine to connect just now. His won't, though. Here are the settings right now:

static IPs on both systems
no ports are forwarded
UPnP is on
no default DMZ server is set

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Okay, so I got mine to connect just now. His won't, though. Here are the settings right now:

static IPs on both systems
no ports are forwarded
UPnP is on
no default DMZ server is set[/QUOTE]

Can you change IP's from static to dynamic and see if that works?

If you turn off yours, can he connect?

EDIT: I just remembered what my girlfriend and I do when we go and visit my parents and each bring our 360 with us. What we do is this:

1. Both of us have static IPs set
2. One of us puts our 360 into the DMZ on the router
3. The other uses port forwarding, forwarding all needed ports to their 360
4. Reboot the router, wait til it's booted, then turn on the 360 and do network connection tests on them
5. Enjoy Live!

Yes, try dynamic IP addresses, or "AUTO" instead of Static.

I would also try port triggering, if you can (again, wish I knew your router's config better). From what I read, you want an open NAT to be able to play together (if you and your brother wanted to, that is, but an open NAT also reduces problems overall with Xbox Live)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whiptcracker']Can you change IP's from static to dynamic and see if that works?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just did that. They're both connected to Live now. I turned them both off and back on, and they connected again. I hope this is a lasting fix.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yeah, just did that. They're both connected to Live now. I turned them both off and back on, and they connected again. I hope this is a lasting fix.[/QUOTE]

Yay! I was at the end of my suggestions so I'm glad that helped :)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yeah, just did that. They're both connected to Live now. I turned them both off and back on, and they connected again. I hope this is a lasting fix.[/QUOTE]

Well good luck, hopefully it doesn't decide to break again.

If you have any more problems, my earlier posts mentioned a few more things that might even let you play with your brother while online (or improve the connection), if you so choose.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'll try it again later, but how am I supposed to open them for both systems?[/QUOTE]

You open them on the router. If you haven't tried this yet, I'm telling you...you need to!

That should be the fix. It seems like the static IP's would be a problem. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use DHCP and connect without any issues. Do both consoles have Open NATs? If that's the case, then it could be the router (follow instrutions on how to open NAT either by DMZ or w/e) or it's on your ISP's end. Hope you fixed it!

bread's done
Back