400w power supply
western digital 160 gb hard drive
1024 ddr ram pci3200
sound blaster audigy ls sound card
ati radeon 9500 256 mb vid card
LG 12x dvd rw+-
lite on 24x cd burner rw
nvidia Nforce 2 motherboard

I realize that my video card is a major weakness in my computer. What video card would you reccommend so that I could play HL2 (and Lost Coast), Farcry, and Age of Empires 3 at or near max settings?

I also have to return something to newegg so I would prefer if I could buy the card there. Lookin to spend 200-250$, but cheaper is better.

Age of Empires 3? That game looks absolutely insane. X_X

As for HL2 and Far Cry, a 6600 GT is the cream of the crop at the moment at its current price.

If you can not afford a 6800 GT (I.E. not the sucky 6600) then save your money so you can afford to spend 350-400$ for the next generation. I'd wait either way- next gen cards will be out in another 3-4 months anyway- they just don't want to talk about it because the minute they do- BAM - people stop buying the current generation.

If you don't have that much, then you won't get to play at 1600X1200 which is what games were be meant to be played at. Those who don't agree have never had the benefit of playing on high end machines. It's why PC gaming is sooo much better than console gaming. Hi-Res, I'll compare my high end PC's with any console, any day of the week.

I'd also recomend the 6800GT. If I'm not mistaken it has more pipelines then the 6600 and I know for a fact it can easily be OC'd to an Ultra.

bread's done
Back