Need opinions on selling baseball cards

opterasis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Due to some pretty shitty circumstances, I've ended up with a box full of what seems like 1,000+ baseball cards from the mid 80s to 92. I know nothing about baseball cards, other than they seem to be in great condition since they were sitting in an attic since 92 apparently. I'd like toget some money for them, and don't have time to look up each one on ebay to try to find any worth money. Should I sell them as a lot on ebay, or would I have better luck at a card hobby shop? I would think whoever is working would refuse to go through all of them to find any worth buying. Any opinions on my best bet for selling them?

If they're from the 80's or newer, they probably aren't worth anything. Even entire sets of cards from then are worth less than a hundred dollars...

Your best bet is to either sell it as a sight unseen lot on eBay or to go to a local card shop, see what they'd give you for them. They usually don't seem to mind doing a quick glance to see what's there.

I'll second what tsmvengy stated though....you're likely not holding onto a lot of money in cards...1000 random cards from mid 80's through mid 90's probably wouldn't even get $20 on eBay. Early 1980's you may have a couple that could fetch a few bucks, but nothing likely to get you into three digits.

Take a few pix, throw them onto your post and you may get some additional feedback.

With the emergence of eBay, a lot of collectors items that had some imaginary value (usually because of collectors price guides) are ending up being worth almost nothing because nobody wants to pay that much for them. Trading cards really aren't popular anymore.

So sorry to say, your stuff probably isn't worth what you wish for it to be. I had a ton of basketball cards and Marvel cards from when I collected them in the mid 90s, none of them are worth jack right now despite price guides told me at the time (had many cards worth $30-40).

Buy yourself a Beckett Baseball guide and look up the cards. You may be surprised and find some gems in there.

Expect to fetch about 1/2 their guide value on either ebay or in a card shop (maybe even less here).

If you do find some good ones, I recommend getting them graded by either BGS or PSA.

If you aren't going to take the time to go through them, just take it to a local cardshop. You won't get much but it'll get the cards out of your hands quickly.

Craigslist is always an option, too, but you'll probably get questions about which cards are in the box.

I'm curious to find out what the "shitty circumstances" whereby you've been burdened by these cards.

[quote name='opterasis']I've ended up with a box full of what seems like 1,000+ baseball cards from the mid 80s to 92.[/QUOTE]

To be blunt, they're virtually worthless. Cards were overprinted from that time period. If you value your time, you will spend more in time than you will get in cash trying to sell them.

Best bet would be to give them to a younger relative.

I wouldn't say all cards from late 80's to the early 90s are worthless. Upper Deck, Leaf, and '89 Bowman have some decent value. I'd go through and pick out all the Griffeys, Frank Thomas, and any other player that might make the Hall of Fame and hold onto them. They can't really go down much more in value. You never know, nostalgia will play a big factor in a couple years when some of these players make the Hall.

bread's done
Back