Need Quality Desktop or Laptop to Run STO

maxim2boobles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I'm looking to buy a powerful desktop or laptop to play Star Trek Online and other games like MW2.

I read a lot of forums that suggest building a custom computer is cheaper , but i have no idea how to build one and have no time to learn. I want buy an Alienware desktop or anything else that has a i5 or i7 processor and a powerful graphics card. Any suggestions or links will be appreciated. I'm willing to spend up to $1200

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='maxim2boobles']I'm looking to buy a powerful desktop or laptop to play Star Trek Online and other games like MW2.

I read a lot of forums that suggest building a custom computer is cheaper , but i have no idea how to build one and have no time to learn. I want buy an Alienware desktop or anything else that has a i5 or i7 processor and a powerful graphics card. Any suggestions or links will be appreciated. I'm willing to spend up to $1200[/QUOTE]

try the pc forum.

CAG isn't the best forum for custom pc questions.

$1200 is definitely enough money to build your own pc. I think my last custom pc came out to $1000 not including the hd monitor I got later. If you are not familiar with building your own pc then here are some quick tips:

-Don't worry about sli (two graphics cards). One powerful graphics card is more than enough.
-Buy a case with plenty of room inside. Even better if the motherboard tray can be removed from the case (much easier to work on).
-Those led fans that look cool in pictures... really annoying in your room at night.
-Depending on what processor you get, you may want to get an aftermarket cooling fan. For example the fan that came with my processor was a piece of crap and I read reviews beforehand complaining about it.
-At lest do mirror raid (raid 1). This means choosing a motherboard that supports raid. Raid will increase read speeds and help prevent data loss. If you have never set up raid before don't be afraid. After the initial set up you never have to deal with it again.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']I want buy an Alienware desktop or anything else that has a i5 or i7 processor and a powerful graphics card. Any suggestions or links will be appreciated. I'm willing to spend up to $1200[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen if you're not going to build it yourself. Pre-built desktop machines with powerful CPUs and GPUs typically start at $1500 and quickly skyrocket from there. Notebooks are about the same or more.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Not gonna happen if you're not going to build it yourself. Pre-built desktop machines with powerful CPUs and GPUs typically start at $1500 and quickly skyrocket from there. Notebooks are about the same or more.[/QUOTE]
not true....

Anyways when I get home tonight * on phone* ill send you a few links to get what you need and you can choose from there...

[quote name='saturnotaku']He wants a Core i5 or i7 so that rules out your first link, and the Radeon 5750 is hardly a high end video card, so that rules out the second one.[/QUOTE]
I have a 5750 and it can run games perfectly fine :)

And going to dell.com you can get a full setup +5850 for 1150 correcction 1,089 just checked.

And you have yet to check alienware :) maybe try contributing instead of saying peoples posts wont work?

bread's done
Back