Need Some Advice - Scam?

facemeat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ok, so last night I won a Wonderswan w/ an SD Gundam game for $11. Great deal thanks to a misspelling (wonderswin :lol: ). So the guy sends me an invoice and the shipping went up a dollar. I messaged the guy, and tonight, for some inexplicable reason, I get a phonecall from him, telling me he lowered the shipping back to normal. But then, for yet again some strange reason, he asks me to send him a MO even though the auction stated Paypal only. Is this a scam waiting to happen? Another thing that striked me as odd is that he sounded very young, like he hadn't even gone through puberty yet.

[quote name='facemeat']Ok, so last night I won a Wonderswan w/ an SD Gundam game for $11. Great deal thanks to a misspelling (wonderswin :lol: ). So the guy sends me an invoice and the shipping went up a dollar. I messaged the guy, and tonight, for some inexplicable reason, I get a phonecall from him, telling me he lowered the shipping back to normal. But then, for yet again some strange reason, he asks me to send him a MO even though the auction stated Paypal only. Is this a scam waiting to happen? Another thing that striked me as odd is that he sounded very young, like he hadn't even gone through puberty yet.[/quote]

You don't have to pay any other way then what the auction stated. The fact that he's asking you to is a red flag. It's a small amount, so who knows if it's truly a scam though.

Did they have any other listings?

Well, they didn't have any other items up that I knew of, but I really didn't check. They have gotten 2 neutrals on items they sold, which makes me a little uneasy.

Weird, I'd paypal him because then you can get your money back if the product dosent show up!!

I think I've found the auction in question. Personally, I wouldn't have bid to begin with. My general rule is that I don't bid on auctions with FB of less then 98.6% give or take a few.

Also, this guys spelling and grammer are horrible.

"Playstasion system and 2 games"

then his description reads

"playstansion game system works good ans alsome comes with 2 games one is a us one the other is a japan one you need in order to get the game to wrok the japan one i main you need a converter the us one you do not just pop it in to the system
and your fine used but works like new"

That throws the red flag for me. The spelling is horrible in everyone of his listings and past as well. Maybe I'm just picky. Also, he's listed this "Wonderswin" 4-5 times previous to this, and had no bids; maybe it was due to the spelling, but who knows

[quote name='MrDubbs']I think I've found the auction in question. Personally, I wouldn't have bid to begin with. My general rule is that I don't bid on auctions with FB of less then 98.6% give or take a few.

Also, this guys spelling and grammer are horrible.

"Playstasion system and 2 games"

then his description reads

"playstansion game system works good ans alsome comes with 2 games one is a us one the other is a japan one you need in order to get the game to wrok the japan one i main you need a converter the us one you do not just pop it in to the system
and your fine used but works like new"

That throws the red flag for me. The spelling is horrible in everyone of his listings and past as well. Maybe I'm just picky. Also, he's listed this "Wonderswin" 4-5 times previous to this, and had no bids; maybe it was due to the spelling, but who knows
[/QUOTE]
Well, his FB really isn't terrible. One negative that seemed to be unfounded, and 2 neutrals. Nonetheless, looking back, I probably shouldn't have bid. And I'm honestly thinking this is probably an underage eBayer, as he stated that he wanted it as a MO because he's "saving up for something", his spelling's just terrible and he sounded no older than 15.

It seems like he is a young kid listing these ebay items himself, however, I wouldn't be surprised if his mom or dad were in the background "guiding" his first ebay sale. I'd call the kid back and ask to talk to his parents and try to sort it out from there.

[quote name='Pookymeister']id be weirded out if a seller called me.[/quote]

Weird how did he get your phone number?

You can request contact information for buyers that have won your listings. (And buyer's can request it of you.) Ebay e-mails the contact info to both parties when one requests it.

Anyway, I'd definitely pay via PayPal. It could be he called you to ask that of you so he doesn't have a paper trail of this request. Kind of creepy and savvy wrapped together.

I'd be pretty annoyed at a seller requesting my contact info and calling me up over something stupid like this.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Weird, I'd paypal him because then you can get your money back if the product doesn't show up!![/QUOTE]

thats what you think....

If you pay via paypal, use a credit card (I don't care what lies they tell you about a bank account being better protected through paypal)

if you pay on a credit card and he doesn't send you can decline the charges on your card. if you pay via your bank account, and he doesn't send, your SOL.... I'm currently in that situation (I paid by accident through my bank... because they always make that the default payment option, which is BS in my opinion)

I've had this happen once before, I did a reversal through my bank, paypal just took the money right back (still leaving em with nothing)

For $11, it's probably worth the gamble if you really want the system. (A scam for $11 just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, but I guess I don't have that mindset so I don't understand it.)

[quote name='wubb']You can request contact information for buyers that have won your listings. (And buyer's can request it of you.) Ebay e-mails the contact info to both parties when one requests it.

Anyway, I'd definitely pay via PayPal. It could be he called you to ask that of you so he doesn't have a paper trail of this request. Kind of creepy and savvy wrapped together.

I'd be pretty annoyed at a seller requesting my contact info and calling me up over something stupid like this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the paper trail, but then he sent me a message basically stating the same thing. He seems half stupid, half idiot. :lol: At this point, I'd rather just cancel everything and have no FB exchanged, because if it weren't for FB, I'd just say fuck it and not deal with this guy.

bread's done
Back