Need some help, my playstation 2 has become a ps1

nogard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Today, I played my ps2 like I normally do and it worked fine at the beginning. Then I hit restart on the system and it restarted and stayed at the bowser screen. After that I got a little worry, so I turned it off and restarted it with different games and dvds but it didn't work either. This is a 50001 ps2 brought new over a year ago so the warranty is long over. I also tried the guide that cheapyd posted above, I opened my ps2 but the pictures on the website didnt match the dvd-rom inside my ps2 ( couldnt find that rotating white circle thingy). It doesn't play any dvd based ps2 games or dvd movies but plays those blue bottom CD ps2 games and ps1 games fine. Any tips to try make it work again? Any help is appreciated.

There are 2 chips inside a ps2, one to read blue discs and another that reads the "silver" back or DVD's. Basically from the many problems like this I heard of working retail, means that your chip that reads the DVD's is fried, thats why at EB's they are trained to test blue backing and DVD backing on the ps2's. I think your only option unless you can figure out what chip or chips it is, is to get it repaired. Hopefully someone else can tell you something different, but thats what it sounds like to me.

Most likely madportagee is right; the case might be that the lens are dirty too,but from what i'm hearing madportagee is right

I had a similar problem a month ago. My PS2 stopped reading anything except PS2 DVD-ROM games. I bought my playstation when it was first released so the warrenty was long over. I called sony and after going through a bunch of diagnostic tests, the rep. said they would fix my playstation for free, all I had to pay was the cost of shipping it to their repair facility. I got my system back in about three weeks and it's worked perfectly since.

This is the number I used 1-800-345-SONY (7669).

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess my only option now is bring it to a gamestore that repairs ps2. If the repair price is too expensive I guess I will just wait for the price drop of the ps3, hehe.

I also had the same problem (DREs) but got it fixed for free through Sony with my paid shipping (about $18). Though I heard a rumor that Sony no longer does fee repairs, but I'm not sure. Calling is your best bet.

bread's done
Back