Need Some Help With A Question

Schmackledorf

CAGiversary!
I have a basic question here. I just built a new computer here, but I'm reusing my hard drive from my old desktop. I try and start my system up, but the moment it tries to start Windows up, it blue screens and then restarts. Now I have Vista on there from my old desktop and I haven't formatted since I removed it from that, so it still has the OS, drivers, and all the files. Is the reason it's blue screening because of all the software already installed it (i.e.-OS, drivers, etc.), or is it because of some faulty hardware? If it's the software, am I going to have to reformat the drive, or should I be able to stick the driver cds for motherboard, graphics card, etc. and install those to fix the problem? This is my first time ever doing something like this, so I don't want to mess things up even more here. Thanks a lot for any help guys!

Its blue-screening because there are too many hardware changes, you will have to reformat.
Things to try before reformat.
1. Try to "Use last known configuration that worked".
2. Reset the bios to defaults.

[quote name='seen']Its blue-screening because there are too many hardware changes, you will have to reformat.
Things to try before reformat.
1. Try to "Use last known configuration that worked".
2. Reset the bios to defaults.[/QUOTE]

Hows is #1 going to work? This is a new configuration. This will only work with his old configuration.

#2 Resetting his bios will not do anything.

Schmackledorf @ you need to re-install your OS / Do a clean install. Put in your OS disc, Go into your bios and have it boot up to your DVD/CD Rom drive and start over.

Your O/S is literally what "operates" your computer. It has constructed its files based on the previous hardware. It can't possibly work with all new hardware. The only time I was ever able to pull this off was with two old PIII IBMs that were within a year of production of each other. The hardware was close enough to force it to work after a few crashes and restarts.

Well, let me amend that...Windows can adjust to many types of "plug and play" hardware: new HDDs, new video cards, memory, even new processors. But not new motherboards.

bread's done
Back