Need some help with my Xbox Surround Setup

NeueZiel

CAGiversary!
I recently installed a digital optical cable from my Xbox to my Surround Sound. I'm getting perfect 5.1 sound when playing DVD's on my Xbox, but when I play Xbox games with dobly digital I only get sound out of the front left and front right speakers. I checked all the connections and they were all fine, then I also checked to make sure that Dobly Digital/DTS was enabled on the settings. I can't seem to get anything other then the front left/right while playing games in dobly digital help me :(

1. Make sure the game uses Dolby Digital
2. Make sure you have the sound option in the Dashboard set to Dolby Digital.
3. Make sure your receiver is set for Dolby Digital (I have to change mine manually from stereo since it doesn't seem to detect it correctly)
4. Make a sandwich. Enjoy it.

Yep, that should cover it....my receiver is nice, it lets me know when I'm using Dolby Digital....a nice blue light lights up. ohhhh...ahhhhhh.....blue lights

Yeah, make sure the Dashboard is correct....not sure what else to tell you.

What is your setup? The equipment?

The majority of Xbox Dolby-equipped games don't really take advantage of the rear speakers. If you're determining you're only getting front speakers simply by putting your ear to the speaker, you may be wrong. On my setup I cranked the rear speakers on the Xbox channel on my receiver.

If that's not the case, let us know what sort of receiver you're using, you may have something set wrong.

I'm in the same boat... I can see on the receiver when it goes to 5.1 (Which is automatic)... I could swear it did for THE HULK, which I no longer own so I can't verify. I read that HALO 2 is in 5.1, but I'm just getting Stereo... I've got a Yamaha receiver.

[quote name='gorgo']I'm in the same boat... I can see on the receiver when it goes to 5.1 (Which is automatic)... I could swear it did for THE HULK, which I no longer own so I can't verify. I read that HALO 2 is in 5.1, but I'm just getting Stereo... I've got a Yamaha receiver.[/quote]

Yes, Halo2 uses 5.1 very well. Make sure you have:

1. an optical cable running to your receiver.
2. Dashboard set to Dolby Digital

It should be that easy

[quote name='el bobo']Where can I find a cheap set of these speakers?[/quote]

You mean a CHEAP home Theatre 5.1 setup? How much are you looking to spend?

Home Theatre in a Box are usually the cheapest....you will need a receiver and five speakers and a sub....

Yeah, it really depends on how much you're willing to spend. I picked up these speakers here from Fluance and I've been very happy with them. $199 if you order direct from them plus shipping.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

About the only thing wrong with them is they don't reproduce bass all that well which is why you need to have a good subwoofer to go along with them but for great speakers which you can eventually build a great system out of, I haven't found anything else that comes close in terms of quality and price.

[quote name='NeueZiel']I recently installed a digital optical cable from my Xbox to my Surround Sound. I'm getting perfect 5.1 sound when playing DVD's on my Xbox, but when I play Xbox games with dobly digital I only get sound out of the front left and front right speakers. I checked all the connections and they were all fine, then I also checked to make sure that Dobly Digital/DTS was enabled on the settings. I can't seem to get anything other then the front left/right while playing games in dobly digital help me :([/quote]
Although most Xbox games are Dolby Digital, there are a portion of games that are not DD 5.1. By just checking the speakers with your ears, you won't find much out. Lots of games use DD 4.1 for in-game sound, which means you'll likely get no sound from the center channel as you would in movies. The rear channels can also be weak in certain games (as already mentioned).

Most problems are probably due to not changing the setting to surround sound in the dashboard as has been mentioned. I imagine there is a fair portion of Xbox owners with their consoles hooked up to a snazzy 5.1 setup who haven't changed this setting and are just getting stereo sound. Pretty funny really.

I have the Panasonic SC-HT900 HtiB and I'm happy with it. I think I paid $400 for it on a Black Friday sale last year, I'm sure it can be had for less these days.

Here's the specs/a review.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SC_HT900/4505-6740_7-20871096.html

I haven't shopped these for a year now so there may be better choices in the sub $500 category.

[quote name='el bobo']I would like to spend 250ish.[/quote]

I would go with a Home Theatre in a box setup then....

Check Circuit City or Best Buy

People seem to like the Onkyo quality....it should suffice for a stater HTiB

They should have a sale...it seems like they are always on sale. The Panasonic on the site may be ok also.....
You can get a $25 gift card, which may buy the optical cable for you

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...sem/rpsm/oid/105663/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

bread's done
Back