Need some PS3 help (router, surround)

Ravenous

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Im trying to get my PS3 hooked to my Lynskys 54G and I entered ALL the info (SSID, password, IP. Mask, Gateway, etc) on my PS3 screen but its not getting anything! Do I have to enter the MAC address on that Router site? I dont know where and how to do this.

Also, when I played my Spiderman 3 Bluray and Conan game, theyre being picked up as ProLogic on my receiver. Whats up with that? Im using an optical connection.

Also, Im just using my shitty RCA hookups

I got to enter the MAC on my router and the PS3 obtained the IP address but Failed with the internet connection. It says "an error has occuirred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error (80710102)" How do I fix this?

Ive read to reboot the router and PS3 and try again. Im installing updates now so I can try that after I guess

Router: I have a problem with my connection itself, which I falsely assumed was my router. On the internet connection set-up screen... for your DNS servers, put these numbers in to see if it works

If not, no harm... but it worked for me :)

you have to manually set the audio output in the xmb to optical and whatever else you want (dolby digital / dts) to have the audio output the optical in 5.1

[quote name='Ravenous']Okay Im installing updates now so Ill try the numbers soon. Whats XMB?[/quote]

XMB = Xross Media Bar (Pronounced 'Cross Media Bar').

Did you get your router set up properly? Be sure to assign a static IP to the console, and set up port forwarding to ensure you're going to get proper transfer speeds.

I download at about 1MB/sec from the PStore. Check this out, and you'll be good in no time:

[quote name='Methadon']Signout problems and slow transfers are signs of a port forwarding problem. Often uPnP doesn't automatically take care of everything, it just allows the connection to have an easier time being made. For an optimum PSN experience, you really want to assign a static IP and set up port forwarding. You can take care of this in 5-10 minutes by doing the following:

Log into your router, and first assign a static IP to your PS3. Your network will most likely assign everything "192.168.1.X" where X is the number unique to a device. Your router should say what the range of the value is. We'll come back to this.

Next, open a command prompt (xp/vista: start->run->cmd), and type
Code:
ipconfig
Open a new browser window and type 'http://X.X.X.X', where the X's are the numbers you got by 'Default Gateway' in 'ipconfig'. Under your 'basic setup' stuff, you should see the starting IP address for your network. Go ahead an choose a random number for your PS3 based off that.

Now goto your PS3 and edit your connection settings. Under IP, choose 'Manual', and enter your IP's prefix (the first 3 sets of numbers), and the number you chose for your PS3. For this example, let's say 134 is the value, so your IP would read:
Code:
Enter the values for 'Subnet Mask' and 'Default Gateway' that you got from 'ipconfig' in the PS3's network screen. You probably will have 2 or 3 DNS numbers provided from your router's 'status' page, which is where you get those values from.

Next, go back to your router's page and under port forwarding, open the following:
Code:
10070-10080 TCP
80-80           TCP
50000-50000 UDP
6000-7000     UDP
10070-10080 UDP
Save everything and power cycle both the router and the PS3. You should be ready to go. Open your PS3's browser and goto speedtest.net or something and see how your speeds check out.

You may also want to set a WEP or WPA2 password if you're using wireless, to ensure nobody else is jacking your bandwidth.[/quote]

Hey thanks man! I actually didnt have to enter all that '10070-10080 TCP' stuff.

Instead I entered the PS3 MAC address into my router and all that wasnt necessary. Oddly enough the gateway and IP I got from my Lynskys page were all wrong. I had to use the generic addresses found in the ipconfig and a 'made up' ip address. It all worked. Ill be damned. Thanks alot though man. Ive been on and off trying to get this done and researching online since around noon!

I found this page that gave alot of info:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=116102

Naturally more problems. While downloading the update I get some error with the connection and it fails. What the heck is this now?

Okay everything is running smooth now except one thing. I bought Conan and Spidey 3 Blueray and they all play fine. However I also got viking and it loads okay that after the load screen that shows tips it goes black and stays that way? What gives? Im able to press the PS button to quit game and so on, but the screen never shows anything. Any help here?

[quote name='Ravenous']Naturally more problems. While downloading the update I get some error with the connection and it fails. What the heck is this now?[/quote]

That's what the 'TCP/UDP' stuff you thought you didn't need to do does :)

Seriously, take the 5 minutes to do it; you already did part of it by assigning your own IP to it. Opening those ports makes sure you are able to keep your connection (no random signouts), and minimize packet loss (no slow downloads). Additionally, you only have to do it once....

[quote name='Ravenous']Okay everything is running smooth now except one thing. I bought Conan and Spidey 3 Blueray and they all play fine. However I also got viking and it loads okay that after the load screen that shows tips it goes black and stays that way? What gives? Im able to press the PS button to quit game and so on, but the screen never shows anything. Any help here?[/quote]

Could be something went wrong with the update; You can try deleting the game data associated with it, and re-installing/downloading the update.

Alternatively, make sure the disc is clean (sometimes a little smudge can cause loading to hang).

Ahhh okay. Ill do it than so I wont have any future problems.

I think Im going to return Viking. I went to quit it and it quit but stayed black, than beeped 3 times and the system restarted. Than I tried ejecting again and it got stuck coming out, so the player sucked it back in. I finally got it to eject and I really dont want to put it back in my system. I also put in Conan again and Spidey 3 and they played good still. I also found out that my stuff was playing only prologic cause I had to change it to bitstream.

[quote name='Ravenous']Ahhh okay. Ill do it than so I wont have any future problems.

I think Im going to return Viking. I went to quit it and it quit but stayed black, than beeped 3 times and the system restarted. Than I tried ejecting again and it got stuck coming out, so the player sucked it back in. I finally got it to eject and I really dont want to put it back in my system. I also put in Conan again and Spidey 3 and they played good still. I also found out that my stuff was playing only prologic cause I had to change it to bitstream.[/quote]

If the other games or movies play fine then it sounds like Viking is the problem.

Yea it was viking. I returned it for another copy and it played smoothly. Love the game but shit, I need to hook it up HD. The hell is up with Sony selling a bluray with RCA cables? Morons.

[quote name='Ravenous']Yea it was viking. I returned it for another copy and it played smoothly. Love the game but shit, I need to hook it up HD. The hell is up with Sony selling a bluray with RCA cables? Morons.[/quote]

Because not everyone who buys a PS3 HAS an HDtv and Sony did realize that. The way it is though, I probably wouldn't go out and pay more than $5-10 for an HD cable even if I had an HDtv.

Do you have auto start for games/movies on or off? I ask because I had a particular night where I got stuck at the loading screen on GTA IV(immaculate disc no less) and I had to quit the game and got the three beep shpeel and all.

Only thing was, since the auto start was ON by default, as soon as the PS3 reset, it came back to the XMB for a second or two and then went right back into trying to load the game.

Having auto start turned OFF is a big help when you're having problems with loading screens hanging.

I have a static IP myself for my PS3 192.168.2.100 and I still do get the disconnects at times. Hell, the other night when I was trying out my used Logitech headset, I got booted with a vengeance. But 90% of the time, I'm able to stay on PSN and in a game online for 4-6 hours each night with NO problems.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because not everyone who buys a PS3 HAS an HDtv and Sony did realize that. The way it is though, I probably wouldn't go out and pay more than $5-10 for an HD cable even if I had an HDtv.

Do you have auto start for games/movies on or off? I ask because I had a particular night where I got stuck at the loading screen on GTA IV(immaculate disc no less) and I had to quit the game and got the three beep shpeel and all.

Only thing was, since the auto start was ON by default, as soon as the PS3 reset, it came back to the XMB for a second or two and then went right back into trying to load the game.

Having auto start turned OFF is a big help when you're having problems with loading screens hanging.

I have a static IP myself for my PS3 192.168.2.100 and I still do get the disconnects at times. Hell, the other night when I was trying out my used Logitech headset, I got booted with a vengeance. But 90% of the time, I'm able to stay on PSN and in a game online for 4-6 hours each night with NO problems.[/quote]

Do you have port forwarding turned on as well? Also double check to make sure your PS3's IP is entered correctly for the ports, otherwise it does nothing.

You may also try assigning a different number to see if that helps.

bread's done
Back