Need tips on interviewing for jobs

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Interview today went well, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch again. At least I should know by the end of this week on this one.[/QUOTE]

Good luck! Do you all send Thank You letters to the person who interviewed you? I also find it somewhat smart to ask for the person(s) business card. That way they feel as if you are interested and now have made a bond...

[quote name='binici']Good luck! Do you all send Thank You letters to the person who interviewed you? I also find it somewhat smart to ask for the person(s) business card. That way they feel as if you are interested and now have made a bond...[/QUOTE]

At the very least, I send a thank-you email to them. In most cases, a card.

At my current company, I interviewed with them in May a few years ago. Interview went well, but before they could hire somebody, the position was frozen.

I kept in contact with the interviewer with an email every month or so; not badgering, but letting them know I was still interested.

Took them six months(!) to unfreeze the position...and they were supposed to redo interviews. But since I was fresh in his mind, and they could see I wanted the job, they finally hired me. :) (Persistence plaid off.)

[quote name='Tony Stark']I need help on analyzing a situation:

So, around 4am I apply online for a job, all I do is send my first, last name in a form and upload a resume

Not 4 hours later at 8am-ish I get 8 emails from this company about scheduling an interview
(normally when someone says a number its exaggerated, but I kid you not 8 emails, but all were different)

Then I get woken up to a perky womans phone call claiming to be an HR person, she then sends me 2x emails while on the phone with me as reminders for our "interview time" then tells me she will send an email and text me the morning of our interview

So at this point I have 10x emails from this company, with a promised 1x more and a text

Further research points out that the "company" only has 2x people in it, and their website, wow their website could have been made better if you gave a teenager 15minutes on blogger to create better

Additional info: I found the company on a career job site and this happend like a year ago

Due to the super shadyness of this "business", I never showed up for my interview, because no company needs someone that bad, something was up, I just couldnt put my finger on what it was, the perky HR girl even said people were not showing up for interviews and she didnt no why

So has anyone had any crazy situations like this?[/QUOTE]

this happens because there are many marketing firms/agencies that think because they hold one small account they will succeed

I had a similar situation where the business wanted to hire me, on commission, but use my car, and my gas, to collect cilents to do a marketing plan for

I can do a marketing plan in my sleep, why would I get like 10% commission off what I could do 100% by opening my own fake agency :cool:...TRUE STORY

I hate, repeat hate, being strung along by these employment agencies. "Yeah we should have something by the beginning of the year." Well here it is mid January and nada. There isn't much I hate more than people wasting my time, and these people seem to love doing it.

[quote name='binici']Good luck! Do you all send Thank You letters to the person who interviewed you? I also find it somewhat smart to ask for the person(s) business card. That way they feel as if you are interested and now have made a bond...[/QUOTE]

Oh of course, always. :D

And yeah, external recruiters are assholes. HATE dealing with them.

It was a good thing I got my job when I did. Yesterday my company just laid off a bunch of people. Some co-worker/friends got affected. I went ahead and put my two weeks in (even if I haven't been 100% confirmed yet for a start date since they are processing my drug test) because I was able to save one person's job. It was a super sad day at my current job, which is a good reason I'm leaving because I'd eventually get laid off no matter what. Get to start a better opportunity elsewhere.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It was a good thing I got my job when I did. Yesterday my company just laid off a bunch of people. Some co-worker/friends got affected. I went ahead and put my two weeks in (even if I haven't been 100% confirmed yet for a start date since they are processing my drug test) because I was able to save one person's job. It was a super sad day at my current job, which is a good reason I'm leaving because I'd eventually get laid off no matter what. Get to start a better opportunity elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Very generous! Hope all goes well.

I'm actually lookging forward to my interview tomorrow...

Ugh, was expecting to hear back from this last interview pretty quickly, as he said he wanted me to speak with the CEO as well and then make an offer on Friday. But after I sent the thank you note I haven't heard anything back. This is just demoralizing.

Oh nice... got a reply about the place I interviewed at earlier this week. It seems that I am still in consideration. The guy just has not yet had the chance to speak with his boss yet, so it's been pushed out. Also got an interview scheduled with another place next Tuesday. Feeling a little better about this.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Oh nice... got a reply about the place I interviewed at earlier this week. It seems that I am still in consideration. The guy just has not yet had the chance to speak with his boss yet, so it's been pushed out. Also got an interview scheduled with another place next Tuesday. Feeling a little better about this.[/QUOTE]

Sweet!
My first interview that I really wanted to so badly started off shake and rusty, but shortly after I felt confident and did really well.

I asked more questions than was asked, but the CPA seemed really surprised. Anyhow, I mailed out a thank you letter, which they should have received today and expect a call back for a second interview, since that is was I was told was the next step in the first interview.

Keeping my options open because I had a phone interview with a huge company last Friday, which I felt that I nailed (thanks to the previous interview warm-up), so I have some leverage.

Both companies are looking to place someone within the next two weeks, so crossing my fingers for a fresh new opportunity.

I have a somewhat interesting story to share. Let's just say I was told that a start date of Feb. 20th would be okay (since I was going to miss a day the previous work due to plans I scheduled long ago). So I sort of made plenty of plans on signing my lease already along with plans for moving. I got a call saying I could start as early as Feb. 6th (keep in mind my last day at my current job is the 31st). I'm like WTF, I don't even have housing until Feb. 11th. They were willing to pay for whatever moving was necessary and pay for me to live in a hotel/temp housing until my place was ready. But in the end, I agreed on a start date of Feb. 13th and will just go one day unpaid that I had plans.

Now I'm really scrambling trying to move. I had my apartment lease pushed up to a move-in date of the 9th now, just to ease things a little.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have a somewhat interesting story to share. Let's just say I was told that a start date of Feb. 20th would be okay (since I was going to miss a day the previous work due to plans I scheduled long ago). So I sort of made plenty of plans on signing my lease already along with plans for moving. I got a call saying I could start as early as Feb. 6th (keep in mind my last day at my current job is the 31st). I'm like WTF, I don't even have housing until Feb. 11th. They were willing to pay for whatever moving was necessary and pay for me to live in a hotel/temp housing until my place was ready. But in the end, I agreed on a start date of Feb. 13th and will just go one day unpaid that I had plans.

Now I'm really scrambling trying to move. I had my apartment lease pushed up to a move-in date of the 9th now, just to ease things a little.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! So, you have a new career, housing somewhat paid for and start work when you want?

Good job. Sounds a bit hectic, though!

Sad news for me is, I have received plenty of opportunities (new) and had serveral interviews now, but just seems that the hiring processing for everyone is soooooo slow and sluggish!

I hate the waiting game!

Found out they gave the job to someone else but the director did call me about a help desk/tech job and they have another opening and they are interested in me Eh, it all depends on the pay

Update, not much really going on. Had to cancel the in-person interview I had this week due to me being sick. Finally feeling a bit better though, thankfully. Got another phone interview Monday. I sent another email to that place that I interviewed with last week and that seemed to like me on Thursday, but still haven't received a response, even though he said he would contact me this week. Oh well. Going to call the guy directly on Tuesday if I don't hear from him before then.

I managed to get the internship for the one place that interviewed me(via Skype). It's part-time but it's valuable experience, so I'm taking it. Now I find myself scrambling to move from Florida to Michigan in a short period of time. Never really lived outside of Florida, this will be fun......

[quote name='dastly75']I managed to get the internship for the one place that interviewed me(via Skype). It's part-time but it's valuable experience, so I'm taking it. Now I find myself scrambling to move from Florida to Michigan in a short period of time. Never really lived outside of Florida, this will be fun......[/QUOTE]Definitely a big change in weather, lol. I use to live near MI while living in IN. I had a phone interview there once, but ended up getting a job elsewhere so I canceled the process.

Anyone ever use the website OthersFetchWeDeliver for jobs?

I typically stick to Indeed and SimplyHired but there is this one listing on that website that seems a good fit for me. Unfortunately I am not sure if it is shady or not (the website, not the position).

Today I have a phone interview this afternoon, which I have been really looking forward to. The company is well known and I pass this interview, I am sure the in-person interview will be a breeze.

Pros:
Well known company
Pay is decent
Position is an upgrade

Cons:
Commute is going to suck...

Happy friday you all!

****Update****
I passed the second phone interview with the company and I am going in for the face to face interview.
The company is speeding this process, so I am guessing they have myself and a couple of other candidates ready to pick!

Also, I have an interview with another company the same day, so stressful!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stumbled onto this post yesterday, read the whole thing and felt compelled to post. I am glad everyone seems like they are moving in the right direction. A couple of pieces of advice that got my job, (best job i ever had, Network tech @ a software and services company) transferring from a completely different field. (retail customer support)

I found it on craigslist, It really is the best place to look for jobs @ the moment.

Make sure your resume is small, clean and concise. If you have someone who works on resumes or in HR let them have a look @ it and try to tailor it to the job you are going for.

On helping out during an interview I really liked this excerpt from an article on lifehacker about showing you have skills in a subject without work experience:

"It's about setting expectations. If you come in, and my expectation is, for instance, that you know Unix administration, and then you tell me "Well, I read a book and I really want to learn it", no, I won't like that. If instead you put in your resume an objective line "Looking to grow skills in Unix administration from a project background", now we are on the same page. If I don't need an expert right now, maybe I will invest in training you since you have the vision and self-motivation. Oh, and describing what you are doing to prepare is also good, even if you don't have on the job experience."

Good luck everyone.

Good luck everyone. Only thing I got on the horizon is a phone interview tomorrow. Still haven't heard back from that company from the other week. I even gave the guy a phone call on his direct line today and got the answering machine. Left a message but for some reason it seems like he's avoiding me. A simple "no" would do, asshole.

I hate this shit.

Thanks DoK!

I'll need as much luck as possible tomorrow. Going in for my 3rd interview(s) for two different companies tomorrow. One in the morning and the other in the afternoon, so it will be a busy day!

Both companies are great, but are totally different industries (car vs health). Position wise, I can either be a Web Developer or Software Engineer...

Hopefully this turns out to be a good end to what seems like a good start of a weekend!

Hey everyone!
Now, I play the waiting game...
I had a good vibe from the two companies I interviewed with and sent all the interviewers thank you letters either by email or snail mail.
Now sure what to expect from either company, but my chances should be better than 50%.
Thank goodness I still have a job, so no harm done, but a new challenge would be awesome!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have a somewhat interesting story to share. Let's just say I was told that a start date of Feb. 20th would be okay (since I was going to miss a day the previous work due to plans I scheduled long ago). So I sort of made plenty of plans on signing my lease already along with plans for moving. I got a call saying I could start as early as Feb. 6th (keep in mind my last day at my current job is the 31st). I'm like WTF, I don't even have housing until Feb. 11th. They were willing to pay for whatever moving was necessary and pay for me to live in a hotel/temp housing until my place was ready. But in the end, I agreed on a start date of Feb. 13th and will just go one day unpaid that I had plans.

Now I'm really scrambling trying to move. I had my apartment lease pushed up to a move-in date of the 9th now, just to ease things a little.[/QUOTE]

Do companies typically prefer resumes from candidates who live close to the company rather than a person who needs to relocate due to the costs associated with it?

I decided not to limit myself to NY but branch out to jobs in other big cities like Dallas and Chicago. I have all of the qualifications for this particular job but it is located in Chicago and I am from NY.

[quote name='Kendro']Do companies typically prefer resumes from candidates who live close to the company rather than a person who needs to relocate due to the costs associated with it?

I decided not to limit myself to NY but branch out to jobs in other big cities like Dallas and Chicago. I have all of the qualifications for this particular job but it is located in Chicago and I am from NY.[/QUOTE]

A recruiter that contacted me from a company told me if I moved to KC, I would fit right in with the Web Developer team as opposed to the local Software Engineers.

So, to answer your question, companies do like candidates that are willing to take risks and are up to the challenge.

Good luck!

[quote name='binici']Hey everyone!
Now, I play the waiting game...
I had a good vibe from the two companies I interviewed with and sent all the interviewers thank you letters either by email or snail mail.
Now sure what to expect from either company, but my chances should be better than 50%.
Thank goodness I still have a job, so no harm done, but a new challenge would be awesome![/QUOTE]

Good luck dude... I'm still waiting, and looking....

Well I talked to the IT director where I had the interview about the offer on the other job and at the time I was still leaning toward keeping my old job since I've been then 3 years. But there's not much room to grow unless other people in IT quit. Anyways the director answered my questions about moving up, training, and the pay. He then upped their offer (more pay) and offered training and explained how their yearly raises work and what I could expect.

So the pay is better, commute is 30 mins instead of 2-2 1/2 hrs, but I'd be stuck in an office. Well Im off to check it out mid week next week and I"ll see what the guys are like and I"ll go from there

Ended up having 3 interviews this past week for 3 very different jobs... Got a job offer from one, have 2nd interviews for both of the others next week. The one I got the offer for is the lowest in both pay and everything else. I'll only take it if I don't get either of the others.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Ended up having 3 interviews this past week for 3 very different jobs... Got a job offer from one, have 2nd interviews for both of the others next week. The one I got the offer for is the lowest in both pay and everything else. I'll only take it if I don't get either of the others.[/QUOTE]

I am getting burned out with all the interviews and job process.

I have two more interviews (potentially) this week, so if I don't hear back from any of them, I'll be taking a break!

Hopefully you have much success and pick the right company that fits you!

Got another offer. This offer is just damn incredible. Almost certainly gonna take it regardless of the last offer I'm waiting on. It's at a Jewish organization. Look at these perks:

-All Jewish holidays off, paid (either 11 or 12 this year, can't remember what she said)
-All regular federal holidays off, paid
-Extra 2 weeks paid vacation
-1 week paid sick leave
-40 hour work week, if I work more I get paid overtime
-Can start work when I want, around traffic

:whee: The pay is decent, good for a nonprofit, but not the highest I could get overall. However, I think these perks are well worth the tradeoff. :whee:

ya, those perks easily trump working somewhere else for a bit more money and longer hours. You're never going to look back on your life and think, "man, I really wished I would have worked more when I was younger".

Wow, Jewish employees are known to really be a bit tight with the income if you know what I mean, however, those perks make up for other stuff!

[quote name='perdition(troy']ya, those perks easily trump working somewhere else for a bit more money and longer hours. You're never going to look back on your life and think, "man, I really wished I would have worked more when I was younger".[/QUOTE]

How about this?

Just got ANOTHER offer this afternoon. It's $10k +bonus more than the other place, and the commute is far less (20 minutes vs 1 hr 10 min+ one way). However, I'd be exempt so no paid overtime. It's also a for-profit and not a non-profit. Supposedly the hours won't be that bad, 8-5 usually with some overtime during the busy times, but I've been burned before. The commute is a big thing though. Also, when it comes to vacation, it's only 2 weeks + 6 days of sick time plus holidays, so far less than the other place. Any thoughts knowing this?

Oh, and at the Jewish place, I got more detailed info on the holidays. It's 8 federal holidays, 2 of which are floating, so not all federal holidays. But the number of Jewish holidays is 11. So that's 2 extra weeks of free vacation right there.

Glad to here about your job offers DoK. Personally, and I may be in the minority on this, the commute being only 20 minutes versus over an 1 hour one way more than makes up for the 2 weeks less vacation, though I am a workaholic. The fact that it's 10 grand more would seal the deal for me.

The thing is, I ain't a workaholic. I don't think the hours would be TOO crazy at the job with the less commute, but there is going to be some overtime. Work/life balance is a big thing for me; I'd much rather spend time with my family than work late to kiss ass.

Forgot to mention that since it's a Jewish place, they have you leave work prior to sundown on Fridays. So that's some moar time off.

When an HR person asks you if you have applied to other companies and have you heard anything back, what answer are they looking for?

Are they hoping you have applied and heard back so they can gauge your demand?

Or are they hoping you haven't applied because it makes them feel special that you only selected them?

Also, when they ask what compensation you are looking for during the first HR interview, does it generally mean they are interested? Is 20% over your current salary a good response?

Never give a set number if they ask about salary, always give a range with a qualification that salary is one of many factors for your interest in the job. If you give a number, you're already negotiating from a position of weakness.

[quote name='Kendro']When an HR person asks you if you have applied to other companies and have you heard anything back, what answer are they looking for?

Are they hoping you have applied and heard back so they can gauge your demand?

Or are they hoping you haven't applied because it makes them feel special that you only selected them?
[/quote]
Not sure. I always express that I have applied (and are interviewing) elsewhere without name dropping. I do so to show I have other options. I hope it has an effect on the initial offer (if passed through the interviews).

Also, when they ask what compensation you are looking for during the first HR interview, does it generally mean they are interested? Is 20% over your current salary a good response?
Not necessarily. They are making sure your wants are within what they are willing to give out for the position you applied to. Why bring you in to see their hiring manager if they can't pay you what you want...

As to the second question... it is up to what you think you and your experience are worth. In the past, I give out the "Negiotable" tag... though this time around I give out the lowest I will go (and even state it like that).

[quote name='dopa345']Glad to here about your job offers DoK. Personally, and I may be in the minority on this, the commute being only 20 minutes versus over an 1 hour one way more than makes up for the 2 weeks less vacation, though I am a workaholic. The fact that it's 10 grand more would seal the deal for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I could never do a long commute. It's just wasted time every day. Especially if you're driving since you can't do anything else. If it's a train ride, it's a bit more manageable as you can read, do work, play portable games etc.--but still annoying.

I could pay my student loans down a lot faster if I was willing to live out in the burbs where rent is a lot cheaper. But I love being 3 miles from work. I love being in the city too--but I work so much I don't take advantage of that as much as I should.

So I'd take the $10K more and the shorter commute in a heartbeat, especially since it doesn't sound like there would be a lot of forced OT there, unlike some of the other jobs DoK has had in the past.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Forgot to mention that since it's a Jewish place, they have you leave work prior to sundown on Fridays. So that's some moar time off.[/QUOTE]

That won't matter for most of the year though, as other than the first couple months of winter sundown will be well after you'd normally leave work on Friday anyway.

Wow...tough call on this one for DoK. If it's a job that I hate, I don't know if $10k and a 20 minute commute would be worth it. Then again, there's no guarantee that the non-profit will be any better despite the holidays, although working around traffic is a huge thing IMO, but an hour commute is still an hour commute.

Was able to cut my commute to 40 minutes going a different way. Way better than an hour fifteen+ on the T, or an hour going the other way. I start Monday at the non-profit. We'll see how it goes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That won't matter for most of the year though, as other than the first couple months of winter sundown will be well after you'd normally leave work on Friday anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does - it means no Saturday work ever! What a deal.

[quote name='Javery']Yes it does - it means no Saturday work ever! What a deal.[/QUOTE]

YUP! :D

For someone who's dealt with public accounting firms (or lawl firms, like Javery), this is a godsend. No more working on Saturdays for 3 months out of the year....

Nice work DoK
Gotta agree with dmaul as someone who has had a 2-2 1/2 hr daily commute it sucks. Its time you dont get anything for or time you can get back.

So I checked out the place of work chatted more with the IT staff and the director. All my questions were answered, my counter offer was accepted and I gave my notice at my current job! Woot!

No more 11 hr days and that's just the commute

My concern with non profit is amount of workload but sounds like you found a good place DoK.

As for commute it is only a problem during rush hour. It seems like every week there is at least one day where it will take me twice as long due to accident or something.

I have an interview Friday March 9th at 10am for SHIELD (get it joke because my names Tony Stark, anyway)

what:
are some strengths to say without sounding full of myself
a weakness to say that will still get me hired
some notes to write down ahead of time

I'll give people an update.

I've been working the job I started this thread about for over 3 weeks now. It's going super awesome. I really like all my new co-workers (they like me a lot and feel I'm a fun addition to the group). My new job is VERY different from any other job I had, where I have a LOT of new things to learn (will take a long time for me to understand a lot of it), and it's very challenging with different tasks daily. Seems like I got a winner with a great job, lower cost of living, etc.

While I was originally going to miss my friends in MD I made while living there, I've been making friends w/ newer co-workers, meeting up with people I know online in my new area, and getting involved in social groups for new hire Engineers at my workplace (those there 3 years and less). They have gaming clubs and other things, so I'm trying to get involved.

[quote name='Kendro']Do companies typically prefer resumes from candidates who live close to the company rather than a person who needs to relocate due to the costs associated with it?

I decided not to limit myself to NY but branch out to jobs in other big cities like Dallas and Chicago. I have all of the qualifications for this particular job but it is located in Chicago and I am from NY.[/QUOTE]

They want the right candidate for the job regardless of where you currently are. They'd prefer not to pay relocation costs but the higher up you go in salary, the more they're willing to pay relocation costs and the more they'll pay for relocation.

Obviously if they mention that you're out of town, your answer is that you think this opportunity was so good, you'd be willing to move and/or your relatives live there and love the area.

Never let them think you want a free trip there for an interview. :)

[quote name='Tony Stark']I have an interview Friday March 9th at 10am for SHIELD (get it joke because my names Tony Stark, anyway)

what:
are some strengths to say without sounding full of myself
a weakness to say that will still get me hired
some notes to write down ahead of time[/QUOTE]
Who cares if you sound full of yourself. Depending on the role you want, confidence is a trait companies look for. Remember the goal is to sell yourself.

As for weakness, I would go for one where you can show examples on how you have lessen your weakness/overcome it.

bread's done
Back