Need tips/sites for job searching...

Perfect*Ending

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Soon I will have to go to work. I'm working on my resume right now.

I've had minor jobs before like lab technician and clean-up after school, but those are mostly useless. I am looking for a real professional job like working in a company. So basically I have zero job experience.

My major is Chemistry. Luckily, there are several entry-level chem jobs. The starting pay is around $17 for a chemical job, which ain't too bad. I do not know if I'll actually get the job, however.

1) Do you know any good sites to look to find jobs (all jobs, not just chemistry-related)?

2) Any sites that tell job descriptions? Like what a chemistry job actually does, etc.?

3) Any sites for tips and resumes?

Thanks CAGs.

You know, around this time last year I asked the same question here on CAG, and got help that found me start for my career!

Anyway, mtxbass (I think that's how you spell his name) pointed me to careerbuilder.com and that's where I found my current employer.

Other places that I've tried are monster.com, yahoo hotjobs, and craigslist.

Edit: Also don't count out those "minor" jobs. They still count as work experience, just not professional experience.

I've tried those sites before. I'll try them again soon too for any updates, thanks.

Also, do you think employers will check on my "minor" jobs? Like will they call up the place to make sure I actually worked there?

I doubt they'd call to check if you've worked there or not. But, if they ask for references, expect employers to call them. That's where the minor jobs would help out greatly, in my opinion.

I do not know even if my previous employers still work at the school or not. It has been so long actually.

Or is it a better idea to just tell them that I have zero experience? Since my previous minor jobs are so old.

I say include it because it shows you're able to hold a job.

Also it shouldn't matter if your previous employer still works there, just as long as you have their contact info (like a cell number) you can use them as a reference if your previous employer is ok with it. But, you might not want to include a list of reference unless it's specifically asked for.

Btw, are you still in school? Because if you are you should go to the career center and get your resume critiqued. Actually, you might want to ask them the same questions you're asking on here.

I threw my resume up on monster and careerbuilder and also signed up to receive updates from careerbuilder and both those really helped. Put the time in (if you can) to really researching and thinking about what you want in a job.

To be honest, I get better results to look for jobs on careerbuilder.com or monsters.com and submit your resume rather than post it on there. I get a lot of spam phone calls from temp agencies and whatnot whenever I just post my resume. I also SPAM my resume because I knew only a few would call me back (if I don't have much of a work experience).

And as for craigslist, I'm not having much luck with that. Also, I've seen a lot of ads where they want you to whore yourself for next-to-nothing pay.

Have a cover letter ready. Make it general (and yet customizable) enough where you send it off easily.

One last thing, I've noticed in a lot of interviews they like to ask "What are your short-term goals and long-terms goal?"; or "What do you see yourself doing in 5 or 10 years?". You should think about it before you go into an interview.

Have a copy or two of your resume whenever you go into your interview. If you really want to stick out, have your resume printed out on a cardstock paper instead of cheap everyday paper.

[quote name='Panda']To be honest, I get better results to look for jobs on careerbuilder.com or monsters.com and submit your resume rather than post it on there. I get a lot of spam phone calls from temp agencies and whatnot whenever I just post my resume. I also SPAM my resume because I knew only a few would call me back (if I don't have much of a work experience).

And as for craigslist, I'm not having much luck with that. Also, I've seen a lot of ads where they want you to whore yourself for next-to-nothing pay.

Have a cover letter ready. Make it general (and yet customizable) enough where you send it off easily.

One last thing, I've noticed in a lot of interviews they like to ask "What are your short-term goals and long-terms goal?"; or "What do you see yourself doing in 5 or 10 years?". You should think about it before you go into an interview.

Have a copy or two of your resume whenever you go into your interview. If you really want to stick out, have your resume printed out on a cardstock paper instead of cheap everyday paper.[/quote]

Some good points there. I forgot that I had customized my resume for each place I applied to and that really seemed to help get my foot in the door.

[quote name='Aberforth']I say include it because it shows you're able to hold a job.

Also it shouldn't matter if your previous employer still works there, just as long as you have their contact info (like a cell number) you can use them as a reference if your previous employer is ok with it. But, you might not want to include a list of reference unless it's specifically asked for.[/quote]
Say I worked for a little bit in high school, but the instructor is now gone. Should I just put the school's phone number?

Btw, are you still in school? Because if you are you should go to the career center and get your resume critiqued. Actually, you might want to ask them the same questions you're asking on here.
I'm in college right now. I will go to the career center for tips. :cool:

And thanks guys for all the tips so far.

I almost forgot. If and when you get a phone call for an interview, do your research on the company. The last thing you would want to happen is for you to work for a shady company. Trust me, I heard horror stories.

I often use this website to see if they come up or not:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/

OP, you should try monstertrak.com , it is suppose to be for recent graduates and those that are still in college. Craigslist never worked for me. Careerbuilder.com is pretty good since recruiter contact me a lot when I posted my resume there. If all fails, try the New York Times Website. Then again, you best bet is probably your college career center or COOP.

Do you guys know if the specific degree matters?

I will get a BA in Chem w/ Minor in Biology, but most jobs want a BS in Chem.

Is it that big of a difference. Are my chances out the window already? This has always troubled me.

BS in Chem is way better than BA in Chem... at least you'll get paid more with a BS degree. BS is more towards the study of related sciences and maths; and the BA is more towards the study of related arts and literature (humanity, English, philosophy, etc).

If you're getting a Chem degree, I thought you automatically get a BS degree. Switch over if you can.

I got a degree in business and it's a BS degree.

Does your school have a Career Services? If so, go to them for resume and interview tips. It really does help. They may even have on-campus interviews or at least job postings for your field. My school has a very extensive Career Services and I found my summer internship simply by going on their website and applying online for it. Then I had an interview on campus and finally an office visit with the company before I was hired. Be sure to list ANY jobs you've had no matter how old they are. I'm a junior in college and list the job I had in high school on my resume; interviewers STILL ask questions about it and I'm able to tell them about the many experiences I had there.

And get a BS in Chem if you're getting a degree in Chem. If you can handle the hassle and trials of being a Chem major, you certainly have the scientific and logical aptitude for it, as BSes generally just tack on a few more math/science classes and a couple less liberal arts classes.

Just got a new job a couple months ago, is there like a local chem. association because when I was looking for a job I got mine off the AIA which is the Architect Association. I also used cragslist and other colleges job posting on the web. I emailed the same company 3 times. Also if your done a bunch of small jobs but work at them for a long time it still matters, it shows that your stable employee. And try to get one of your teachers to give you a recommendation, this can really help. Also when I was looking I sent as many emails as I could I really didn't even to places that were not even looking at that time. And it's good to do research but even if the place is crap and you don't want the job still go to the interview just to get prepared for the one you want.

Thanks for the tips. I'll go check my Career Center for information as well.

About the BA in Chem, I don't think I can handle a BS. Chem is not my favorite subject--family members want me to major in a science, so I selected chem.

The BS degree for Chem is at least 30% harder than the BA, I can barely handle a BA. A BS requires so much more work and physics classes. I also think it's too late for me to go BS when I've invested some time in the BA.

I do regret majoring in Chemistry actually. But it's too late. It is not my strength. I will just have to see where a BA can take me.

J/W, anyone know any good sites for resumes? I am looking for some basic format or template and some things I should write. Thank you.

Perfect,

Definitely see if you career center can help.
I would suggest checking out consider Government Employment especially since your in science field,

www.usajobs.com

alot of jobs are set up as Assistant positions and the pay is great
not to mention they have opportunity to start working sometimes before you actually graduate.

another good site is called: www.indeed.com
its better and kept more uptodate than Monster

career fairs are always great sources

I actually have been a career counselor so the more options you look at the better your chances of finding what you want to do.

bread's done
Back