Need to ask some questions about networking

989boi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Help, I don't know crap about networking. I need to hook my pc and my brother's new laptop together so we can share the broadband connection. We're thinking of gettin a wifi router. Is that the best and easiest way to network? Do we need any other peripherals? What are all the stuff I need to get really?

[quote name='989boi']Help, I don't know crap about networking. I need to hook my pc and my brother's new laptop together so we can share the broadband connection. We're thinking of gettin a wifi router. Is that the best and easiest way to network? Do we need any other peripherals? What are all the stuff I need to get really?[/quote]

it sounds like a good way to go, i use a linksys router myself you should get a router with some lan 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports so the PC can have a wired connection and buy a wireless card for the laptop.something like this might be good
D-LinkAir DI-524

[quote name='989boi']So does this mean that I have to buy a PCI card for my pc and then a PCMCIA card for his laptop too?[/quote]

You will need the following:

1) a router that hooks up to the computer with an internet connection
2) an adpater

The adapter will pick up the signal being sent from the router. Just like that, instant wireless connection.

We got the router, adapter, and notebook card. We hooked it up and installed the software drivers in but it's not working. I got frustrated with it and unhooked the thing. We called tech support and they didnt know what was goin on either. One of the main problems is whenever we connect to the Ethernet port, my internet connection is messed up.

[quote name='989boi']We got the router, adapter, and notebook card. We hooked it up and installed the software drivers in but it's not working. I got frustrated with it and unhooked the thing. We called tech support and they didnt know what was goin on either. One of the main problems is whenever we connect to the Ethernet port, my internet connection is messed up.[/quote]

I'll see what I can do to help. First lets get some info.

Operating Systems, what is being used on the main computer and the laptop?

You do have the router hooked up to the the main (by main I mean the computer hooked up to the net) computer and all of the lights are flashing on it, right? If no lights are flashing, it's not recieving a connection.

I have more questions, but I want to know your OS first.

We both are usin Windows XP. All lights are on except where on the router where it says "wireless". The light on "wireless" keeps flashing.

bread's done
Back