Need TV advice ~40 inch for gaming

girfreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I found a 40 inch sharp tv at best buy on clearance, but I am really having a hard time figuring out what will be best for gaming, without damaging the picture quality.
60 or 120 refresh? LED or LCD?

The last tv I had was an older vizio that seemed to be fine for gaming. The newer models are slimmer and have a much lower profile border. Anyone have any experience with these?

Im looking for a 1080 resolution monitor in the $300-500 range. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well LED is essentially a step up from LCD. It's basically LED back lit LCD.

If you could find something with 120 Hz then go with that. Depends on what you're gaming on.

I went searching for an affordable epic TV & I finally settled on this Vizio:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7MFRHC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $498 Its a really nice set which even trumps the feature-set of my parents sony TV, you get a "Smart" TV, & 3D (Which you can go crazy downloading SBS 3D movies of....sites...and enabling SBS, Etc 3D in menu and watching 3d on pc. You also can use this for 3D gaming, whoo! and all for under 500.  You will have to tinker with color settings to get it right as usual though. & its 120Hz!

Now, for the most part people say NO NO NO to using TVs for gaming because of latency issues, which is true. However this one is listed as acceptable (most wont even notice differences).

I recommend it a lot, I really do.... even with black friday around corner Price > Featureset is NOT going to be on the TVs on sale.

However, if one must say go for sony TV I can get you a 40% Discount off all their TVs from Online sony store from Blackstone :/ thats all I can help with.

FYI, a guy I know has a Vizio and complained to me that the audio kept dropping when watching TV on FiOS.  Well I googled it and it turns out it's because they didn't pay for all the audio codecs.  In other words, they cut corners to save money.  You might need a surround sound with it.

I'd just go with a good branded one.  Honestly, 40" 1080p TV's aren't expensive these days and with 4k coming out they're going to depreciate to nothing just like 720p's did.  I'd wager in another year or two we'll be seeing $500 55" Samsung 1080p's.

FYI, a guy I know has a Vizio and complained to me that the audio kept dropping when watching TV on FiOS. Well I googled it and it turns out it's because they didn't pay for all the audio codecs. In other words, they cut corners to save money. You might need a surround sound with it.
Never even heard of that issue. The one I linked has played nice with my Yamaha receiver, for everything from Dolby to Neo Cinema ._. I watch TV from speakers on tv though for loudness and less bass...and no cut outs. Im on BrightHouse networks Cable.

Never even heard of that issue. The one I linked has played nice with my Yamaha receiver, for everything from Dolby to Neo Cinema ._. I watch TV from speakers on tv though for loudness and less bass...and no cut outs. Im on BrightHouse networks Cable.
If you google it, you'll see it's a common problem with FiOS. My guess is that BrightHouse doesn't have the same codecs with it's cable box as Verizon does. Also, you're using a receiver that can decode everything. There's a fix for it but you have to switch to PCM.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/HD-boxes-dropping-sound/td-p/179283

Power off the Set top box.

Hit Select

Hit Menu

You will see a white screen and an all text menu called USER SETTINGS. Use the arrow keys to move around.

Scroll down to a line that says "ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS" and hit a right arrow to get into the next level of the menu

There is a sound setting called AUDIO OUTPUT It says AUTO Scroll to it and change it to L-PCM.

Exit out of the menus, power the unit off and power it on again.

Even though there's a work around, I think it's pretty shitty as I assume that means that the TV can't properly handle Dolby Digital?

edit:

Holy cheapskate corner cutting batman! After a quick google search, even the Vizio sound bars don't support Dolby Digital! Tons of bitching on Amazon reviews about it. Then I found this one that DOES support Dolby Digital but doesn't support DTS!

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-soundbar/

My point is, don't buy a Vizio. They aren't even that cheap anymore anyway since everything is so cheap. This could be a case by case thing with Vizio. I did look up your TV's manual and saw some reference to Dolby Digital (didn't read the details) couldn't find anything on DTS.

If you google it, you'll see it's a common problem with FiOS. My guess is that BrightHouse doesn't have the same codecs with it's cable box as Verizon does. Also, you're using a receiver that can decode everything. There's a fix for it but you have to switch to PCM.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/HD-boxes-dropping-sound/td-p/179283

Power off the Set top box.

Hit Select

Hit Menu

You will see a white screen and an all text menu called USER SETTINGS. Use the arrow keys to move around.

Scroll down to a line that says "ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS" and hit a right arrow to get into the next level of the menu

There is a sound setting called AUDIO OUTPUT It says AUTO Scroll to it and change it to L-PCM.

Exit out of the menus, power the unit off and power it on again.

Even though there's a work around, I think it's pretty shitty as I assume that means that the TV can't properly handle Dolby Digital?

edit:

Holy cheapskate corner cutting batman! After a quick google search, even the Vizio sound bars don't support Dolby Digital! Tons of bitching on Amazon reviews about it. Then I found this one that DOES support Dolby Digital but doesn't support DTS!

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-soundbar/

My point is, don't buy a Vizio. They aren't even that cheap anymore anyway since everything is so cheap. This could be a case by case thing with Vizio. I did look up your TV's manual and saw some reference to Dolby Digital (didn't read the details) couldn't find anything on DTS.

Sounds like a Fios issue tbh, Verizon is pretty assine with supporting everything (Look at the nexus tablet hubbub even) The TV itself doesn't support DTS however...its kind of expected. Thats what a good sound card, or receiver is for. Stock speakers dont have enough range to make difference. The TV has Dolby Digital PLUS not normal DD, DTS Caps at 1.5MBps DD+ 6MBps DD+ Supports 13.1 audio channels. Then we have Dolby TrueHD which isnt present on this :(

There are some cheap $100~300 Yamaha recievers that have full Dolby modes & DTS:NEO Available aswell DTS-HD even caps out at 8 channels at 1.5MBps...

So... Dolby Plus kind of theoretically nukes it. I always keep receiver on DD+.

Sounds like a Fios issue tbh, Verizon is pretty assine with supporting everything (Look at the nexus tablet hubbub even) The TV itself doesn't support DTS however...its kind of expected. Thats what a good sound card, or receiver is for. Stock speakers dont have enough range to make difference. The TV has Dolby Digital PLUS not normal DD, DTS Caps at 1.5MBps DD+ 6MBps DD+ Supports 13.1 audio channels. Then we have Dolby TrueHD which isnt present on this :(

There are some cheap $100~300 Yamaha recievers that have full Dolby modes & DTS:NEO Available aswell DTS-HD even caps out at 8 channels at 1.5MBps...

So... Dolby Plus kind of theoretically nukes it. I always keep receiver on DD+.
Eh, I have a Panasonic 55et5 and it works perfect with Verizon FiOS with or without the surround sound though the TV itself only has 10W speakers so the surround sound is very much needed. Verizon mostly uses Cisco equipment which outputs Dolby Digital for 5.1 programming. So your TV would probably work fine with most of the cable boxes Verizon has since it has support for Dolby. Also, are you comparing Verizon Wireless to FiOS?

To say "that's what sound cards and receivers are for" is a bit odd. Most people don't have either. Most people use the TV speakers. The guy I know that has the unsupported Vizio TV - I told him to buy himself a surround sound package - he bought a Vizio sound bar and is still having problems (after reading about the sound bars now I see why). Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.

Meh, DD is old and horrid. sorry cant quote on mobile. i say it because it someones concerned with sound... Even a xonar dg at. 16 dollars fixes everything. Plus if anyone knew good audio they wouldnt go vizio for a soundbar.... Klipsch, Yamaha, maybe bose and onkyo, etc.

Ahhh, see brighthouse uses Samsung equipment so never used cisco stuff. And yeah xP lve had friends w fiOS and he told me they were refusing to replace modem nuked by storm after 4th time till he got supervisor.

DD+ is still better then DTS in ways, normal DD isnt in the end.

> hopes our back and forth actually helps someone lol

Meh, DD is old and horrid. sorry cant quote on mobile. i say it because it someones concerned with sound... Even a xonar dg at. 16 dollars fixes everything. Plus if anyone knew good audio they wouldnt go vizio for a soundbar.... Klipsch, Yamaha, maybe bose and onkyo, etc.

Ahhh, see brighthouse uses Samsung equipment so never used cisco stuff. And yeah xP lve had friends w fiOS and he told me they were refusing to replace modem nuked by storm after 4th time till he got supervisor.

DD+ is still better then DTS in ways, normal DD isnt in the end.

> hopes our back and forth actually helps someone lol<
The real issue here is, if the OP doesn't want to have additional equipment like most people then he needs to research what he's going to hook up to this TV first. If someone knews good audio, they wouldn't chose Vizio, I agree, the same for good TV's IMO. The guy I know doesn't know good TV's or good audio. He like most people buys what's cheap.

As for the modem issue, are you talking about the "free" router or the ONT? The router would be replaced with no problem if it's destroyed just like a cable box. That's the advantage of using their equipment. If you're talking about the ONT battery - they tell you during installation that you're responsible for battery replacement (and his home owners insurance would have covered this). If he's simply trying to get them to give him a BETTER router then no, they don't do that. They give you the cheapest router necessary for the Internet speed you have with the option that you can buy yourself a new one. I picked one up on eBay for $50 while Verizon charges $100. Their routers are a good deal if you want to make a MoCA network. For $50 I got a dual channel N router that's a MoCA bridge so all I needed was another bridge in my living room. Considering the cost of the bridge by itself, it's a hell of a deal...

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384018319&sr=8-1&keywords=moca

edit:

If he's willing to get a surround sound system then this HTIB is pretty good for the price EXCEPT that the sub isn't powered. Still for a real receiver you can't beat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384018748&sr=8-4&keywords=onkyo

The real issue here is, if the OP doesn't want to have additional equipment like most people then he needs to research what he's going to hook up to this TV first. If someone knews good audio, they wouldn't chose Vizio, I agree, the same for good TV's IMO. The guy I know doesn't know good TV's or good audio. He like most people buys what's cheap.

As for the modem issue, are you talking about the "free" router or the ONT? The router would be replaced with no problem if it's destroyed just like a cable box. That's the advantage of using their equipment. If you're talking about the ONT battery - they tell you during installation that you're responsible for battery replacement (and his home owners insurance would have covered this). If he's simply trying to get them to give him a BETTER router then no, they don't do that. They give you the cheapest router necessary for the Internet speed you have with the option that you can buy yourself a new one. I picked one up on eBay for $50 while Verizon charges $100. Their routers are a good deal if you want to make a MoCA network. For $50 I got a dual channel N router that's a MoCA bridge so all I needed was another bridge in my living room. Considering the cost of the bridge by itself, it's a hell of a deal...

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384018319&sr=8-1&keywords=moca

edit:

If he's willing to get a surround sound system then this HTIB is pretty good for the price EXCEPT that the sub isn't powered. Still for a real receiver you can't beat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384018748&sr=8-4&keywords=onkyo

I dont know much about it, but it was the modem itself not ONT. Ewh, BHN installed a Motorola surfboard, which did not reach the wireless download speed of even half what Im paying, so they went off in search of some elusive netgear router, had none, and ended up crediting full price of a router I bought (AC), they actually told me to go N600 or AC since....they were going to upgrade consumer internet speed 50MBps per year at current pace. I also made them split up VOIP & Modem into two boxes... Pair that with a 2MW Wireless transmitter & its rock solid!

Anyways~ :) I also will vouch for that kit Yamaha also has this:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-497-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2Y4S/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384037164&sr=1-3&keywords=YAMAHA+HT-3

The older model (One I have) is YHT-397, it was once same price as those onkyos sadly on amazon...

It would help if we knew if it was for console or PC gaming :( pc is such an easy fix

Wait, are you sure your friend isn't using Verizon DSL? FiOS cannot use a Motorola Surfboard. Cable modems don't work with FiOS. They've had 50 megabit for over a year now. Take a look at this:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/319967-any-good-fios-current-customer-renewalretention-offers/?p=11210450

You know what would also help? It the OP actually checked his thread.

surboards in regards to my ISP versus the fios stuff... friends router is some actiontec branded modem with verizon logo slapped on the side. It so would but I think we took over<3

bread's done
Back