Need Upgrade Advice

elaine_of_shalott

CAGiversary!
I am looking to upgrade my current system with an eye to building my next computer. I'd like to become more comfortable with the process before taking on that task. My budget for the upgrades is roughly $150. I'd like most of the budget to be on components that I might transfer to a new system when I decide to build it.

My current system is
Computer Model: ACER Aspire M5630 R01-A3
CPU: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Hard Drive: WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 (500GB)
Optical: ATAPI DVD A DH16A1S ATA Device
Memory: 2 GB, DDR2 PC 5300
Video Card: Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB
Power Supply: 300w LiteOn

Usage: Office tasks, web browsing, occasional SD video streaming, light gaming. The game I most want to add is Sims 3 or Sims Medieval, my current video card is one of the weakest officially supported cards so I know it would be a bad idea without an upgrade

Based on past advice here and elsewhere My aim was a build similar to the Budget Sandy Bridge at http://www.anandtech.com/show/4456/s...buyers-guide/3 with a few tweaks based on current prices and availablity when I decide to go for the new build.

Since I think the video card is the weakest point in my current setup I was thinking of a new video card SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 - 69.99 and new power supply Antec Earthwats 380 - $39.99 for the first step. The video card is backwards compatible with PCI Express 1.0, correct? Is this a viable plan? Are there other upgrades that could be useful as intermediate steps?

In the past I have upgraded memory and replaced a hard drive and done full system restores on the software side but the one time I tried to build a computer about 7 years ago it went badly so please keep in mind my level of experience with any advice.

Your CPU is just fine for what you do. I still use it :)
PCI-E x16 slots are backwards compatible, so you're fine there. The PSU you're looking at should be fine as well.
You could upgrade your ram as well, but make sure it's the same model, speed, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back