Need Video Card recommendation

FaintDeftone

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

I know you guys probably get this a lot but I bought a new PC in January and I sorta lost touch with all the new PC tech over the years. My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1GB Ram
200 GB Hard Drive
256MB Nvidia GeForce 6100 (onboard)
PCI Express slot

I'm trying to run games like Half-Life 2 and Battlefield 2 on full settings at a good framerate. Right now HL2 runs good only on the lowest resolution, same with Battlefield 2. I also have several games that are a bit older that run a bit slower than they should (like The Sims 2) thanks to the onboard video being pretty crummy than it should be.

So what's a good inexpensive card that would be good to slap in this bad boy? I need a PCI Express card. I'm not looking for top of the line, just something to get the job done. Thanks for any input.

it all depends on your price range there are plenty of cards that will run those games on all high, bf2, you could use a bit more ram, but other then that anywhere 150$ and up can get you a good card... let me know your price range

In the $150 - $200 range you can get either a nVidia 7600GT or ATI X1800 GTO. I don't think you should go anything below that if you want a worthy upgrade. Not sure if $200 - $300 would be out of your range, but X1800 XT and 7900GT are some of the good choices.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']also, make sure your power supply meets the card's needs.[/QUOTE]

QTF! The eVGA 7600GT cards (the best, IMO) need around 20A on the +12V rail, not sure about any ATI cards but it's probably something similar.

i would put the extra money in and get a 7900GT, you can get them for under 300$ and its a FAR better card thatn the 7600gt

I was looking around the 100-150 range actually. 200+ is a bit too pricey seeing as I don't play a whole lot of PC games. I was looking at something like a GeForce 6800 or something like that. Is that good enough or is that thing outdated already?

How do I know if the card will be okay with the power supply? I know nothing about power supplies.

i am still running an AGP geforce 6800GT 256mb card, and it runs all of those games streamlessly at high settins. People often get confused about AGP and PCI-e, anyways since you are only trying to spend around 150$ i would reccomend either the 7600GS which is around 100, or the 7600GT which is around 150, with grey inbetween... so pick a price, and those are your cards

I was looking at something like a GeForce 6800 or something like that. Is that good enough or is that thing outdated already?

I run that and it is fine for bf2/doom3/quake4 etc.

It may not churn out the 100% highest settings but it is all about bang for your buck.

i Suggest an Nvidia Geforce 6800 at www.newegg.com
it works great and it is around 150$. runs BF2 full graphics perfectly, and all the newer games run on it. i havent had any troubles/ and or problems yet and ive had it for close to a year.

[quote name='spawnslayer']i Suggest an Nvidia Geforce 6800 at www.newegg.com
it works great and it is around 150$. runs BF2 full graphics perfectly, and all the newer games run on it. i havent had any troubles/ and or problems yet and ive had it for close to a year.[/QUOTE]

are you joking me?

the 7600GT is the same price, blow that card out of the water

be smart

bread's done
Back