Need Work Advice

SadieDee

CAGiversary!
So, after about 3 months at my customer service job at a bank, I am quitting. I recently graduated from college with a Marketing Management BS degree. It was the first job I got out of college and I hate the fact I'm on phones 10 hours a day, I'm having major anxiety issues with the job, although it's full time and I'm getting benefits. I want to use my education and I feel that I'm not and I don't have any room for advancement.

So, basically, I'm asking you guys for your opinions. Should I stay or should I go? I like my co-workers and the company, I just really hate the job itself. I gave it a try and I just don't like it although I'm fairly successful when it comes to getting sales. I'm planning on taking the next couple months of trying to figure out what I want to do since I graduated early (been going to college since 16, never took a break, I'm burnt out right now). Money is not an object right now and I know it's better to get another job before I quit the first job, but I'm just so confused I'd rather have a break.

Any suggestions?

If money isn't a concern, then by all means take the time off and reassess your life and options.

You're still young and have plenty of time to decide what you are going to do. It would be great if you found a job that you are happy with. Life isn't worth living if you live it being miserable.

Is it possible to talk to someone at your company to see if there are other type of jobs opening within the company? Sometimes it's easier to move to different position within a company.

How were your grades in college? If you got shitty grades then it might be hard finding anything else. Also, did you try applying to any "big companies" in your field? The first few years working are most likely going to be low-level stuff anyway but I would make sure there is an opportunity for advancement. I wouldn't quit without having anything as a back-up because potential employers will always ask you about gaps in your resume and "sitting on my ass trying to figure out life" isn't a good answer.

Have you thought about getting into another type of sales? I did tv advertising sales for four years after college and now work as a sales manager at a maufacturer and love it.

The nice thing about outside sales is that you aren't chained to a desk all day long and get to go visit customers.

[quote name='javeryh']How were your grades in college? If you got shitty grades then it might be hard finding anything else. Also, did you try applying to any "big companies" in your field? The first few years working are most likely going to be low-level stuff anyway but I would make sure there is an opportunity for advancement. I wouldn't quit without having anything as a back-up because potential employers will always ask you about gaps in your resume and "sitting on my ass trying to figure out life" isn't a good answer.[/QUOTE]

My average in college was 3.342 (that was only for the last couple years, I transferred from a community college). I'm currently working for a major company right now (on Fortune 500...). The problem is, I tried to see if I could move to a different position, but basically it's all phone work. I understand the first couple years are going to be low-level work, but I'm having major anxiety talking to customers 10 hours straight. The job just doesn't fit my personality.

[quote name='SadieDee']My average in college was 3.342 (that was only for the last couple years, I transferred from a community college). I'm currently working for a major company right now (on Fortune 500...). The problem is, I tried to see if I could move to a different position, but basically it's all phone work. I understand the first couple years are going to be low-level work, but I'm having major anxiety talking to customers 10 hours straight. The job just doesn't fit my personality.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I'd start sending out some resumes then but I wouldn't quit until I had something else. With that GPA you should be able to find a decent job that's not in a call center...

bread's done
Back