Needing help with my dreamcast

outerheaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My dreamcast is being really picky in what games to load. I pop in blue stinger which has some minor scratches and it plays it perfectly but when I put in Sonic Adventure or tony hawk 2 which are in near perfect condition, it won't read them at all. What it does is you hear it trying to read and after a minute you hear a beep and it stops. Can someone here please help? :cry:

Just to add to that, it only does this to those two games. I have like 11 other games that work fine and they have some light scratches and are near mint. I tried using a disc lens cleaner twice and it still does the same thing. I've probably got them to work like once or twice since I got them. Any help would be appreciated.

LOL Good to know that my copy isn't the only one that refuses to play. Just stinks that i can't play Sonic Adventure. Its a freakin' launch title and this stupid thing just refuses to play it.

[quote name='outerheaven']LOL Good to know that my copy isn't the only one that refuses to play. Just stinks that i can't play Sonic Adventure. Its a freakin' launch title and this stupid thing just refuses to play it.[/QUOTE]

Sega had issues with early GD Disks, some were recalled IIRC.

Well this is the 3rd Sonic adventure disc I tried. I was able to get it to work ONCE and that disc was pretty badly scratched up but this was after numoruous tries.

I have the exact same problem with my sonic adventure. I picked it up at a swapmeet new and sealed, and it's the only game my dreamcast can't read for some reason :twoguns:

Sonic Adventure is famous for that. As previously stated, SEGA had problems with GD roms on some of the earlier games (most notably Sonic and Ready 2 Rumble). Imagine how it felt to buy it at launch and not being able to get Sonic to work.

That really sucks monkey balls! I really wanted to play it again. Another thing about my DC is that I tried the iso Eutopia thing it won't even read the boot disc. ::sigh:: Well I just gotta try and get another one. Thanks guys for your feedback.

My Sonic Adventure is fine- but it's also a 'not for resale' copy with a demo for Sonic Adventure 2 in it, so it's obviously a later release of the game. Maybe you can look for that version to guarantee not getting one of the older discs?

And if you know anyone else with a DC, try it on theirs- it could be a crazy system glitch. My sister once briefly owned an SNES that wouldn't play Super Mario World (but any other game was fine.) She took it back to the local GS, who proceeded to put about 2 dozen copies of the game into her system and the store demo... the demo played then all, hers played none. It was weird.

Never knew a Snes would have a problem playing Super Mario World. Definitely a fluke. I should see if someone I know has a DC to see if the disc is the problem. I should try the iso while i'm at it. Thanks guys.

The first copy of SA I bought was brand new and mint, and my DC couldn't read it. I had heard rumblings on the internet of bad early batches, so I exchanged it at EB Games (yeah, back when they were actually independent) for a new copy, and it's been fine every since.

My first Dreamcast had problems reading a lot of discs. My second one has been a champ, will have to give that game a try and see how it does.
cagus.smile.jpg

When the DC fist came out like others have said the GD Roms did not play or did not play correctly. Some and I think Sonic is one of them would play fine if you used a boot disc. My copy of shenmue doesn't play some times I try to play it and PSO was the same way. Just turn the DC upside down and let it load that way. That is what I was told from a customer service rep when I called back in 99 about the issue. Works most of the time for me. You just have to let the game load I think all the way to the start menu or after the dreamcast logo comes up.

Tried the upside down trick and nothing unfortunately. The thing is I have another copy but its badly scratched up but it works sometimes. Like 50 % of the time. So is it the GD Rom that might be the problem or should I try and get another copy and see?

Funny, ^^ because I remember my friend having to put his PS on its side after he dropped it, to play some of his games. Strange what odd things need to be done sometimes. Anyway, sorry to hear about your problem. I never had an issue with playing sonic adventures on my GC and probably got it stashed in a box somewhere. Ill tell you what, if I manage to find it Ill send it to you (although the chances of me finding it are pretty slim).

I don't always have problems with the 1999 version, but when a problem occurs with a copy, it's always been the 1999 version, and never the All-Stars or Not For Resale ones. Ones I pick up at garage sales and the like.

bread's done
Back