Neo Geo Memories

I have a one slot MVS board (MV-1F if I remember correctly) , with the credit counters. Eventually I'll get around to putting the machine together.

I've often thought about buying/building a neo geo cabinet myself, now that I have money. For the time being, I've got that PS2 compilation that at least has *some* of the classics. I'd give anything for the real deal though.

I really want a Neo Geo system wither it be a cartridge or Cd system, even through that is going to set me back so freaking much for any game.

Ive seen the system before at a anime con in Raleigh NC, but they sell it at an ebay price (or this guy did). Ah, ill find a good price one day im sure...

[quote name='ZeonikFreak']I really want a Neo Geo system wither it be a cartridge or Cd system, even through that is going to set me back so freaking much for any game.

Ive seen the system before at a anime con in Raleigh NC, but they sell it at an ebay price (or this guy did). Ah, ill find a good price one day im sure...[/quote]

You can usually get the CD system for under $100. The AES is another story.

You're all going to be so jealous...

I dunno if I told this story on CAG, but back like last september I was at a local pawn shop buying some games. I was already pretty psyched because I found some really great games like Zelda OOT and Twilight Princess(both were the cube versions), mario kart 64, and House of the Dead 2. I bring them to the counter and the guy says "these are some great games, you're one of those collector types I take it?" Obviously he was leading on to something so I said "yeah", to which he pulls out a HUGE box with a Neo Geo AES system and I believe like 11 AES and 2 MVS carts. He gave me the whole lot(along with the games I already had) for $350.00. There were some real goodies in there: Samurai Shodowns 2 and 4, Metal Slug 4, King of the Monsters 2, Last Blade, Sengoku 3, etc. I ended up selling it, and while I'm still a bit upset for getting rid of such a great collection, I can't really complain with the fact that I made a good $1500 in profit.

I haven't had much luck with that Pawn since but I did go back another time and found a Neo Geo Pocket Color for $10. I swear, some ex-SNK employee must live nearby or something...

i'm going to start checking pawn shops for games. thanks, for the tip. you can still play most of the games on virtual console or xbla,but nothing beats an original.

[quote name='retroNutZ']You can usually get the CD system for under $100. The AES is another story.[/QUOTE]

Don't get a Neo-Geo CD system. The load times are horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']I've often thought about buying/building a neo geo cabinet myself.[/quote]

Me too. I've always dreamed of owning one.

A few years ago I saw a 4 slot cabinet at a gas station on a road trip through Georgia. It had a price tag for $500. It was up and runing with 4 games (SamSho 4, Puzzle Bobble, Baseball Stars 2, Metal Slug.... I think) It's too bad I was 12 hours away from home with no way to transport the machine. I might've been tempted to buy even though I lived in an apartment. :)

[quote name='Rodimus']Me too. I've always dreamed of owning one.

A few years ago I saw a 4 slot cabinet at a gas station on a road trip through Georgia. It had a price tag for $500. It was up and runing with 4 games (SamSho 4, Puzzle Bobble, Baseball Stars 2, Metal Slug.... I think) It's too bad I was 12 hours away from home with no way to transport the machine. I might've been tempted to buy even though I lived in an apartment. :)[/quote]

I would have easily dropped $500 on that. I've found a cabinet on eBay, but they want closer to $700, before shipping for it. I'd be fine at $500, but when you're approaching nearly $1000 shipped, that's a bit much.

Four slot Neo Geo are pretty expensive and hard to come by. I don't know why it doesn't have any games but i would try to find one with games. You should find it for the same price.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']I found a Neo Geo MVS cabinet fully working with no games for $500 +$300shipping. I want to buy it. Is the price worth it? What do you think?

Link[/quote]

I think that price is a bit high with no games and the shipping only mentions Canada. There's no way I would touch this one personally.

I just remember that my friend had the Neo Geo cartridge system and it was so expensive. Even the games cost around $100 a pop. I had the CD system and it was a lot more affordable but the games never seemed as fun. Maybe it was psychological lol.

[quote name='jasonpaul']I just remember that my friend had the Neo Geo cartridge system and it was so expensive. Even the games cost around $100 a pop. I had the CD system and it was a lot more affordable but the games never seemed as fun. Maybe it was psychological lol.[/quote]

Yeah, the games don't seem fun when it takes like 20 minutes to load on the Neo Geo CD. As for the Neo-Geo AES, it's a great system and a must have for any video game fan.

I have a super gun with a bunch of classics including the Neo MVS...I do not want a huge bulky cabinet in my small place and I want to play other games...You can get started with a supergun dirt cheap and a 1 slot off Ebay.

I have a 108 in 1 multi MVS cart that I play with as well as some of the original MVS carts. I also have a hyper 64 with fatal fury wild ambition, samurai showdown 64, and Buriki 1.

[quote name='pcbman']I have a super gun with a bunch of classics including the Neo MVS...I do not want a huge bulky cabinet in my small place and I want to play other games...You can get started with a supergun dirt cheap and a 1 slot off Ebay.

I have a 108 in 1 multi MVS cart that I play with as well as some of the original MVS carts. I also have a hyper 64 with fatal fury wild ambition, samurai showdown 64, and Buriki 1.[/quote]

Hyper 64, I'm impressed.

[quote name='pcbman']I have a 108 in 1 multi MVS cart[/QUOTE]

I came.

I googled that and got a game list. It looks like it's got some Famicom multicart syndrome, but not nearly as bad. The game list is still balls insane.

I didn't even know such a cart existed. This makes the decision of getting a consolized MVS or a Supergun muuuuuuuuuuch easier.

I still have a Neo Geo AES Home Console with Two Full Size Joysticks and like 16 Cartridges all with cases, manuals in baggies, Memory Card, Cable, Neo Geo bag. This must be worth a pretty penny now! But not looking to sell.

Las time I played it games like Last Resort, Nam 1975, Burning Fight, Samurai Showdown, Magician Lord and others were still classics. 2D Sprites zooming, shrinkinig, parallax scrolling, still cool ..

[quote name='Chuplayer']I came.

I googled that and got a game list. It looks like it's got some Famicom multicart syndrome, but not nearly as bad. The game list is still balls insane.

I didn't even know such a cart existed. This makes the decision of getting a consolized MVS or a Supergun muuuuuuuuuuch easier.[/quote]

Yep, those carts are around. You can use them for the Arcade system but i like to keep it original so no mod or conversion carts.

[quote name='sbains']I still have a Neo Geo AES Home Console with Two Full Size Joysticks and like 16 Cartridges all with cases, manuals in baggies, Memory Card, Cable, Neo Geo bag. This must be worth a pretty penny now! But not looking to sell.

Las time I played it games like Last Resort, Nam 1975, Burning Fight, Samurai Showdown, Magician Lord and others were still classics. 2D Sprites zooming, shrinkinig, parallax scrolling, still cool ..[/quote]

Yep, i have about 25 from last count. I still don't have Magician Lord.

As a kid the only exposure I had to Neo-Geo was the 4 in 1 arcade cabinet at the movie theatre outside Ford City Mall in Chicago. The first time I saw Magician Lord I shit my pants, I think it was because the music was cool and the sound was blasting. To this day I still think Baseball Stars 2 is the greatest baseball game of all time.

I still don't have Magician Lord.
Should've told me like 5 months ago. That was the last game in my collection that I was trying to sell off, and after many failures I was just desperate to get it out of there. I eventually let it go for like $17 shipped, which doesn't really seem that far removed from it's value since it's probably the most common Neo game out there.

[quote name='eastshore4']Should've told me like 5 months ago. That was the last game in my collection that I was trying to sell off, and after many failures I was just desperate to get it out of there. I eventually let it go for like $17 shipped, which doesn't really seem that far removed from it's value since it's probably the most common Neo game out there.[/QUOTE]

It's not a big deal. Magicial Lord is very common so i can still find it. Thanks for the heads up though.

I have a modded AES, a 4-slot cabinet, a Front-loading Neo-CD and various NGPCs. For AES, I have about 54 games and MVS, about 25. I've always been a big Neo fan. I have someone working on a CMVS that I'll have soon and will look to be getting an Atomiswave unit and an extra AES by years end.

[quote name='achillesthegreat']I have a modded AES, a 4-slot cabinet, a Front-loading Neo-CD and various NGPCs. For AES, I have about 54 games and MVS, about 25. I've always been a big Neo fan. I have someone working on a CMVS that I'll have soon and will look to be getting an Atomiswave unit and an extra AES by years end.[/QUOTE]

Thats alot of Neo Geo related products.

I played it alot as a kid in the various arcades. Samurai Shodown 2 is a great game, that still plays fresh to this day. I used to play it at the Brooklyn Center,MN arcade when it came out, and one guy who played there was so good, he could beat you with Ukyo even when you knocked the wpn out of his hand!

I bought a Neo AES from a kid in St. Paul in 1995 who sold it to me for I think $250-300 with World Heroes II, The Super Spy, 2 sticks, a memory card and King of Monsters. He was gonna use the money to buy a computer. I later bought Samurai Shodown from a store in Bloomington that was run by the guy who used to own Raven Games. Had him special order me Samurai Shodown II for $200 when it came out around 1995. Best value for a game I ever spent. Got an MVS converter and got it modded in '02. Through the years, I picked up:

League Bowling
Samurai Shodown 3-5 Special
King of Fighters '94, 98,99, '00,01
Nam '75
League Bowling
Sengoku 3
Money Puzzle Exhanger MVS
Kizuna Encounter MVS
Magical Drop II MVS
Aero Fighters 2
Super Dodge Ball conversion
Metal Slug X, 3, 4
Dunk Dreams
Last Blade
Burning Fight
Ghost Pilots
Mutantion Nation
Twinkle Star Sprites MVS
World Heroes II
World Heroes Jet
King of Monsters
SNK Vs Capcom Chaos

I've kept many games and sold a few through the years, but I don't collect it anymore. I know several people who have them and play them, even a few people who have complete collections.

Great system, but crazy expensive to collect for, especially if you're into AES.

The most expensive game (English version Kizuna Encounter AES) is right behind Stadium Events as the most expensive video game in existance, with under 5 copies made, with a price well into the thousands.

The last arcade auction in the Twin cities had a 4 slot and a bunch of games in it that were worth more than what they guy paid for for like $300.

Yeah, i pretty much have the same amount of games that you mention 2mention. I've been collection Neo Geo games for about 8 years so i'm aware of such holy grails as Kizuna Encounter and Ultimate 11. Whenever, i see a good deal i'll pick a game here and there. I'm currently trying to finish a US AES Metal Slug collection. I only need 1st 2 games now. I will get it one day.

I dusted off my AES this week and have been playing newly acquired Nam 1975 and Blue'S Journey. Got them both for $30 off ebay. Been 10 years since I bought a Neo Geo game. No other system has put smiles on my face like it. Only have 10 games now, Samurai Shodown 2 being the best one. Samurai Shodown 2 is my all time favorite game. It is amazing how well it held up.

I cant get all those super rare or pricey games, but I do enjoy some of the classics.

I have a Neo Geo pocket and almost all of the games for it. 2 of my favorite systems ever released.

[quote name='KneeKnee']I dusted off my AES this week and have been playing newly acquired Nam 1975 and Blue'S Journey. Got them both for $30 off ebay. Been 10 years since I bought a Neo Geo game. No other system has put smiles on my face like it. Only have 10 games now, Samurai Shodown 2 being the best one. Samurai Shodown 2 is my all time favorite game. It is amazing how well it held up.

I cant get all those super rare or pricey games, but I do enjoy some of the classics.

I have a Neo Geo pocket and almost all of the games for it. 2 of my favorite systems ever released.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Samurai Shodown II has held up better than any game I can remember.

I have a pretty good collection of NGP games, including complete UK Faselei, UK Evolution Eternal Dungeons, and UK Last Blade. I bought Last Blade from an EB Games in England when I visited there in 2000, thinking it would come out in the US, but it didn't.

Bought the system when it was first available from eToys.com in 1999. I even have 3 US version launch games in the clamshell box.

NGP games are very rare and usually only loose on ebay and everywhere else.

I've been on an SNK kick for the last month or so.
Got a 1-slot conversion cab with three (rarer) MVS games a couple weeks ago off Craigslist. Now, I'm pretty much watching/scooping up any MVS kits I can find a good deal on.

My current MVS games:
Bust-A-Move Again (holo label)
Neo Turf Masters
Blazing Star (holo label)
KoF 2003 (full kit)
SNK Vs. Capcom SVC Chaos (full kit)

Should have a couple more coming in shortly.

Also scouring for either a 2-slot or 4-slot machine. Got a few good leads via Craigslist for some 4-slot machines at $400. Gonna try and snag one for $300 or so.
I've always wanted to find an AES at some pawn shop or garage sale. I'm prolly dreaming, but, maybe someday I'll hit the jackpot.

As far as the NGPC goes, I've got the system and ten or so games. My fave being a complete copy of Gals Fighters (with box/manual).

[quote name='Rig']I've been on an SNK kick for the last month or so.
Got a 1-slot conversion cab with three (rarer) MVS games a couple weeks ago off Craigslist. Now, I'm pretty much watching/scooping up any MVS kits I can find a good deal on.

My current MVS games:
Bust-A-Move Again (holo label)
Neo Turf Masters
Blazing Star (holo label)
KoF 2003 (full kit)
SNK Vs. Capcom SVC Chaos (full kit)

Should have a couple more coming in shortly.

Also scouring for either a 2-slot or 4-slot machine. Got a few good leads via Craigslist for some 4-slot machines at $400. Gonna try and snag one for $300 or so.
I've always wanted to find an AES at some pawn shop or garage sale. I'm prolly dreaming, but, maybe someday I'll hit the jackpot.

As far as the NGPC goes, I've got the system and ten or so games. My fave being a complete copy of Gals Fighters (with box/manual).[/QUOTE]

I just picked up a Gals Fighters from ebay for $4. No box though. Its cute, but like the other NGP fighting games, the lack of speach during the matches throws me off.

Been trying to get a MVS for years, never find one in my area that isnt +$1000.

Yeah, I never owned/played/actually seen in person this system. It seemed to evade me like the Atari Jaguar and the Panasonic 3DO. I did manage to find some of those PS2 ports like Metal Slug Anthology and the SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1.

As far as the NGPC goes, I've got the system and ten or so games. My fave being a complete copy of Gals Fighters (with box/manual). __________________

I bought a copy from EB games when it came out. Great game. Lots of fun and kind of a novelty, which is why it goes for so much complete.

I just sold a copy of Dunk Dreams for the AES on the Neo-Geo.com boards for $70. I checked around and put it in the mid range of the price guide. I probably couldv'e gotten more for it, since it doesn't come up for sale very often, but I got what I put into it, so I'm happy.

I can always play it on the Wii Data East collection if I get an itch to play it. I haven't even touched the game in a few years.

[quote name='2DMention']Just put up my copy of King of Fighters '94 English AES in case anyone's interested.

No cracks in the case, minor wear on the top of the insert, I'm the original owner. I even threw in an actual SDM move list straight out of an old EGM![/QUOTE]

Nice, I got it on my watch list. Will bid if if doesn't go past my price point.

bread's done
Back