Neon Genesis Evangelion: 10th Anniversary Edition?

BustaUppa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Anyone know what this is? Apparently it is going to be released August 22nd of this year. It contains 8 discs and appears to be priced around $200.

Is this likely to be enhanced beyond the current platinum collection, or is it probably just a more expensive version in some kind of fancy packaging?

I'm about to buy the Platinum box on DDD but I want to make sure that the video or audio won't be obsolete in a couple months. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

[quote name='BustaUppa']Anyone know what this is? Apparently it is going to be released August 22nd of this year. It contains 8 discs and appears to be priced around $200.

Is this likely to be enhanced beyond the current platinum collection, or is it probably just a more expensive version in some kind of fancy packaging?

I'm about to buy the Platinum box on DDD but I want to make sure that the video or audio won't be obsolete in a couple months. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks![/QUOTE]

Some info about it but not much.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8890

It's just a collector's set to milk more $$$ off the licence.

The Platinum Edition is already a big improvement in audio/video and comparable to the Region 2 Renewal set. I think the 10th anniv set uses the same encoding and adds an array of collectibles. You're just paying for the collectibility of it.

If you are just interested in the show, get the Platinum edition or even the cheaper thinpak collection (which has no extras though).

Thanks for the link! A "plethora of commemorative items," eh? A deluxe case, a couple of mangas, and a fuckin' JACKET... wow. Okay, so sounds like Platinum is the way to go if I'm just concerned about watching the show. I'm guessing they're just gonna produce a small amount of these crazy editions and market it toward the big-time collectors.

From AICN

ADV has talked to ICV2 concerning the limited edition 10th Anniversary Edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion. The multi-DVD box set ($299.98), which will be available late this summer, will include every video extra ever prepared for the NGE series as well as a wide variety of premium items ranging from bumper stickers to an embroidered jacket (accessible to fans via a mail-in card on which they can designate the correct size).

ICv2 asked why ADV is releasing yet another edition of Evangelion. ADV Senior Vice President -- Creative Development Matt Greenfield replied. "The reason for re-releasing the series in a 10th Anniversary Edition is to restore all the commentaries and extras that were left out of our Platinum Thin-Pack Edition, so that the true disciple can completely immerse themselves in the total EVA experience," he said. "Plus they get a cool jacket."

Asked about the reasons for the series' continuing popularity, Greenfield expounded: "What makes EVA unique is that in many ways it is a macrocosm of animes all existing at the same time but in many universes, using a basic framework of conventional anime characters and archetypes. Anno and the Gainax team have fashioned a work of art that changes with each repeat view. Layers upon layers of meaning and symbolism mean that every time you watch it a new facet is revealed, which changes the perception of the whole."

[quote name='eau']There is the picture of the 10th anniv box.

It doesn't show what the set comprises of, nor what the box is made of.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the same box as the original vhs box set?

I've already bought the series twice on dvd so count me out on this release, though the jacket is a nice extra but you are pretty much paying for it if the set cost 300

I definately recommend the thinpak edition because the extras are craptacular.

Though I'm quite happy with cheap Perfect Collection I picked up through CAG some time ago.

bread's done
Back